Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 1:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7fa4gV06pg[/youtube]Congress is so stupid!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

Interesting about the pharmaceutical companies. I never thought about how motivated they would be to keep the medical properties of cannabis from being explored.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 1:50 pm

YES! Joe Rogan University!

I'm cautiously optimistic that this situation will change, because it's so mindblowingly illogical, inefficient and inconvenient to continue enforcing this BS law.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

It is only the modern world that has had a problem with cannabis and yes, it doesn't take a genius to realize its for economic purposes.

The proof that humanity has used this drug for thousands of years is conclusive. A good documentary I saw stated that the plant originated in some isolated valley in Afghanistan around 50 million years ago and until around 70,000 years ago was found in no other part of the world. Since then it was found in all parts of the world. That was after humanity spread around the globe.

The drugs of the drug companies are poor substitutes for cannabis but they can be controlled and taxed and make comfortable profits.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2013, 3:55 pm

It's definitely not a drug to be reckoned with though. It absolutely can make you apathetic and paranoid, and anti social. Proceed with caution is a better message than "marijuana is magical and harmless." With that said, it can make most things better, like bad movies, food, and video games. And sex.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 4:03 pm

I'm not sure that it makes people apathetic, paranoid and antisocial. Just based on observation, someone who is highly driven, trusting, and social will remain so even if they smoke all the time. Someone who is already apathetic, paranoid and antisocial by nature will likely remain so while smoking as well. The difference is that in the latter case, people will point to the weed and assume that is the cause.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 4:29 pm

how can one be paranoid and apathetic at the same time, wouldn't they be apathetic towards the paranoid thoughts and thus not care or be bothered by them?

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

Hm. Could be apathetic about climbing the corporate ladder, but paranoid that your roommate is dipping into your stash.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

I would say apathetic in terms of being indifferent in what needs to be done. I know some people can smoke and clean the house for example, but I know some people who can smoke, and end up doing nothing. I've never known a professional stoner to be high at work. However, I've know of people who get high at work, and they start to not care about results. I've seen people in part time type jobs who are high, and they get the job done, but that's about it. I myself, can easily choose getting high over doing work or meeting with friends, or being outside even. Which is cool with me a lot of the time, but Ive lost some drive at times where I've smoked heavily.

I used to smoke heavily, and every day I'd be high, not doing what I needed to do, not wanting to hang out with anyone, and at the same time, taping the sides of the shades to the wall so no one could peek in. Or being less motivated and at the same time, thinking everyone hated me, or even walking into a crowded space, and feeling like it was everyone against me. They were all looking at me.

With all that said.......I shouldn't say weed CAUSES these things, I dont honestly know how much weed "worsens" things and how much it causes things. I do think weed can make things that are "manageable" sober, and make them "unmanageable" when high.

Not saying people shouldn't smoke or that it doesn't have benefits, I smoke quite a bit, I'm just saying to the activists like Joe Rogan, who I actually like, just be honest.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 8:40 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Interesting about the pharmaceutical companies. I never thought about how motivated they would be to keep the medical properties of cannabis from being explored.
If anything big pharma got interest of a population smoking cannabis, as it raise the risks of scizophrenia and depression (Particullary if smoked during adolescence), as well as cancer. (Similar to cigarets, only possibly worse.) All that have been showed by scientific studies.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

mercifullyfree wrote:
YES! Joe Rogan University!

I'm cautiously optimistic that this situation will change, because it's so mindblowingly illogical, inefficient and inconvenient to continue enforcing this BS law.

Alcohol Prohibition was enforced for 13 years in spite of its obvious failure to reduce drinking and and even more obvious damage to did to being law abiding. Prohibition is what made organized crime very big business.

ruveyn

Sovereign
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2013, 9:40 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
It's definitely not a drug to be reckoned with though. It absolutely can make you apathetic and paranoid, and anti social. Proceed with caution is a better message than "marijuana is magical and harmless." With that said, it can make most things better, like bad movies, food, and video games. And sex.

I get what you're saying, but the overall message here isn't "You can go ahead and get high 24-7, there won't be any consequences!" That isn't what viewers should've taken from this video.

Sure, abusing cannabis (i.e. spending every waking minute high and doing nothing else) will probably have a negative impact on your life. That's just common sense.

But the point is, people can only make an informed decision about something after they have all of the facts. And a lot of the facts about cannabis usage have been withheld from the general public for various reasons. That's not right.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 5:40 am

Well, it's not illegal here in Washington state anymore.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

He presented reasons for marijuana to be illegal in the USA. What are the reasons for marijuana being illegal outside the USA, where American pharmaceutical, cotton and paper companies have less leverage?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

Tollorin wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:
If anything big pharma got interest of a population smoking cannabis, as it raise the risks of scizophrenia and depression (Particullary if smoked during adolescence), as well as cancer. (Similar to cigarets, only possibly worse.) All that have been showed by scientific studies.

No scientific studies support those claims.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 9:48 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
He presented reasons for marijuana to be illegal in the USA. What are the reasons for marijuana being illegal outside the USA, where American pharmaceutical, cotton and paper companies have less leverage?

The UK has its own pharmaceutical companies.

Holland is the best example of how to deal with cannabis - an entire industry functions around it.