Is hypocricy related to aspergers or something else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2013, 5:21 pm

I guess you can say I'm rather hypocritical most of the time. I know I do and have done tons of annoying things in life, but if someone else does those same things I get annoyed. When I say annoying things I don't just mean aspie things, I mean annoying things in general. The best example is when I interrupt peoples (well, family only)' conversation (which actually is aspie right?). I interrupt people all the time, but If someone interrupts me while I'm talking, I will get mad and tel them to shut up while I'm talking.

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

I would bank on it being causally unrelated. Some of the biggest hypocrites I know are quintessential NT's.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 6:03 pm

I thought it was more of a non-AS thing. Non-AS people are supposed to be the ones that are good at not meaning what they say and yet appearing to mean it.

The example that the OP gave, I think, is quite common regardless of your neuro-condition, though as the OP mentioned it's considered an AS trait. I have people like that around.

I think the AS people's unawareness of their actions might make them appear to be hypocritical. In that sense hypocricy can be said to be related to Aspergers. It's just my thought.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 6:05 pm

You know, my brother interrupted me all the time at the dinner table growing up. He still interrupts me if I even let him. This is not an Aspie thing. He is pretty talkative and extroverted and not Aspie.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

Hypocrisy is part of human behavior, plain and simple. Since Aspies are human, it only stands to reason that we will also display hypocrisy - it is not just an Aspie thing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 7:10 pm

hypocrisy still stinks, no matter who engages in it. we would all be better people if we each tried our best to tone our hypocrisy down as much as possible.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

I am a hypocrite too.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

Quote:
The best example is when I interrupt peoples (well, family only)' conversation (which actually is aspie right?). I interrupt people all the time, but If someone interrupts me while I'm talking, I will get mad and tel them to shut up while I'm talking.

My guess is this is not under your control.

Interrupting can be related to executive dysfunction, particularly difficulty inhibiting. (Or sometimes poor working memory - 'if I don't say it now I'll forget'.)

Meanwhile, language problems or executive dysfunction could result in more difficulty keeping track of what you were saying if interrupted, making being interrupted more frustrating. Plus executive dysfunction can cause difficulty regulating emotional reactions.

It's only hypocrisy if at least one component of the contradictory behavior is under your control.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2013, 11:05 pm

I'm not a hypocrite I practice what I preach. Sometimes this bites me in the a**.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
It's only hypocrisy if at least one component of the contradictory behavior is under your control.

which could be phrased as "NTs have a higher chance of being hypocrites than AS folk."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:31 pm

It's a human thing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:50 pm

no. that seems to be a neurotypical tendency.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm

Something else. The thing that League Girl said.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:43 am

Fnord wrote:
Hypocrisy is part of human behavior, plain and simple. Since Aspies are human, it only stands to reason that we will also display hypocrisy - it is not just an Aspie thing.

Exactly.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I