Your thoughts on growing out of Aspergers

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Meridian191
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2013, 10:35 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Meridian191 wrote:
A psychologist said I probably have AS when I was 16, so my quirks had previously been considered signs of intelligence (the naiveity of parents . . . :lol:). My lack of social skills had been considered lack of experience. After my 'unofficial diagnosis', I decided I was going to work on this, considering I now knew what was wrong with me. I started facing my social fears and mixing with people more. My confidence grew slowly but surely.

I made a concerted effort to act normally, dress normally, and even think normally. I answered the 'Aspie Quiz' according to this 'new' version of myself, and it came up with 'you are very likely neurotypical'. Honestly, sometimes I felt as though I had managed to install NT software in my brain.

About a year after that fateful trip to the psychologist, I thought I had it made. I wasn't forming deep relationships with more people, but I could talk to just about anyone and had the confidence to do so.

Then . . . I got stressed out because it was my last year of high school and it was exam season. My social confidence and social skills crashed right through the floor. I became paranoid and it made my hands shake and my heart race to be around people. I thought [eople were out to get me because I had failed to keep up being social. I felt like throwing up in the morning during breakfast, knowing that I would have to face people when I went to school. It has taken me eight months to get myself back in a relatively sociable, confident state of mind.

The moral of the story, I think, is that AS is something I will never 'grow out of' in the same way I grew out of my childhood lactose intolerance. But when I'm forty years old or so, I think I would've had it mostly under control. It's about managing your weaknesses, not pretending that they don't exist.

You may have it pretty mildly. Also, I think just pretending to think differently is a form of self-deception and won't work. I've actually tried this many times before, and overuse may actually have contributed to my bipolar symptoms. Trying to think like an NT macho male leads to a rage episode that lasts a few weeks which eventually spirals down into depression. I think it's much more productive to change behavior (learn to hold a certain posture and facial expression or not to talk about certain things) but arrive at it in your own way rather than forcing yourself to take the same internal approach as NT's.

You are probably right, considering that you're older than me. What precisely do you mean by 'rage episode'? I'm curious to see if I brought that on myself by accident. Anyway, I agree with what you say about behaviour. However, I do disagree slightly that taking an NT-like internal approach, in moderation, is not useful sometimes. My logic is that if you can't think like the people you are interacting with, you can't understand them. I'm curious to know your opinions on the relationship between bipolar symptoms and 'fighting' AS.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm

This is the best article I've found on the topic (in my opinion, at least):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... of-autism/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:08 pm

Not sure if I belive it is entirely possible to grow out of AS, as from my understanding its a brain difference however I think it is possible to be less effected by it I have heard of multiple people experiancing a reduction of most major autism symptoms and I don't really have meltdowns and such like I used to unless I am on prescription meds like anti-depressants or klonopin apparently but thats worse. I mean for all I know I might be perfectly functional right now if it wasn't for the anxiety, depression and PTSD but still with the autism but I don't really know. It could be you grew into it and it doesn't cause much difficulty anymore.

But it is really up to you if you want to identify as being on the spectrum or not, if you don't think the shoe fits no reason to wear it.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:12 pm

I tend to agree

It's evidently very important for some people to get the autism out of their system so that's up to them

I don't mind it personally

It keeps a lot of unpleasant people at bay so in that respect it's a good thing

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

I agree very good article.
I have grown out of it mostly, however people who know about autism and the symptoms well are able to pick it in my especially on bad days.
Mostly people just think im a bit weird but they dont know anything about autism.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 9:19 pm

It is possible for some: while i have "grown out" of most of the social problems, bar not having a girlfriend and having problems making new social connections., i have seen other people here on the forums totally incapable of "growing out of it".

The question is pointless without context.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 6:34 am

Ichinin wrote:
It is possible for some: while i have "grown out" of most of the social problems, bar not having a girlfriend and having problems making new social connections., i have seen other people here on the forums totally incapable of "growing out of it".

Doesn't a person's ability to 'grow out of it' depend on having the acceptance of some kind of peer group though?

If you are never accepted into a peer group how on earth are you meant to start acting 'peer-appropriate'?

Where are your role models coming from, where is the positive reinforcement coming from?

that's like expecting an orang-utang to start acting like a chimp just because it's got older and 'should have learned what to do by now'

Can I ask do you have a group of friends?

I think people who castigate others for being immature/childish/not able to control aspects of their Aspergers are often receiving a far higher degree of general acceptance from the people around them in the first place

it is how a person's environment treats a person that will most strongly affect their behaviour in my opinion and if no one has ever included me in a peer group there's no way I was ever going to learn how to be like my peers!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 6:43 am

richardbenson wrote:
Do you think its possible to not be Autistic any longer? A developmental problem to me would seem like If it was fixed with hardly any issues (A few minor ones) wouldn't be a developmental disability any longer and possibly a turn around in your developmental portfolio?

As the brain wiring is different in autism, there are some areas with overconnectivity and some with underconnectivity, I don't believe you can grow out of it.

However, perhaps as a child, with the right intervention and help you could possibly create alternative pathways in the brain to send the information along. Otherwise I believe it's using intellectual skills to cope rather than NT tuition, you cannot grow out of it, you just could possibly adapt better. But you would never be NT.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

Kinme wrote:
No, I don't think that it's possible. I've grown to be better at socializing and stuff, but that doesn't mean that me being autistic disappears. It just means that you've grown as a person and you're learning to fit-in better with society. I don't think the symptoms will ever completely disappear, especially my sensory issues.

Agreed.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

nessa238 wrote:
littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Wandering_Stranger wrote:
If you grow out of Autism, you can't have it in the first place.

I'd tend to agree with this

It's a fundamental difference in the brain that's there from birth so how can it just vanish?

People can no doubt learn how to mask the outward effects of their autism better but I don't think
that's the same as growing out of it

People are not socially maladjusted just because they were born that way. That makes no sense..I agree there is a difference in the brain, but basically most brains integrate information approximately the same (right brain, big bites---left brain small bites, and then there is some comprehensive connection made (from many different angles) between the two hemispheres which involves integration, so taking some kind of leap into understanding and ultimately into action. Different brains of all kinds of people work approximately the same, though with some variation, and tend to synchronize their activity..

The brain is very flexible and changes the way it works through learning. There are many reasons why a person may not be able to synchronize with other people.Try to think of some psychological reasons a person may not be doing so.

Er I think you'll find they are

Autism is a difference in the way the brain works which makes it not well-adapted to the social world

certain modules are wired differently or even missing, which explains why we are always on the back foot when it comes to social interaction, as we have to perform manually what NTs do automatically

I don't know what form of autism or condition you have but this is what's happening in my brain

How you can say everyone's brain works more or less the same I do not know

It's not a psychology thing at all - it's how the brain is wired

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/47193.php

http://www.salk.edu/ra/autism.html

"The researchers understand that some important brain responses are too small or missing in autism, and a new framework of analysis may help them to understand why. Using the band metaphor, Salk scientists believe that there's a good possibility that in autism the coherence of the band is missing. There is no reorganization, and the instruments continue to play their own tunes."

Littlebee (me) wrote:

"People are not socially maladjusted just because they were born that way."

and you wrote.

"Er I think you'll find they are."

Is the quoted sentence what you were replying to? A baby is not born socially adjusted. It is learned.

You also seem to be suggesting that just because by your reading of what I wrote I do not seem to agree with you, then I am not on the spectrum so do not know what I am talking about:-)

Thanks for the links. I did look that material over, but to me it was kind of simplistic. Yes, people do have different kinds of brain function and it can be genetic, but basically the brain functions of human beings is more similar than not, so (to me) it makes sense to look at it from this angle. Is it possible for a person to socially adjust and yet still maintain the integrity of the basic brain structure with the perhaps profound benefits of his unique abilities of function.

Yes, I agree with the general consensus on this thread, that a person's basic brain structure, meaning genetic, will never change, but a person can and will change with learning. His mind will change. Then the label begins to lose such significance unless some kind of beneficial application of its use can be found. Though ti may sound completely matter of fact, we, or at least I, am speaking in a kind of code here, It may be necessary to take a leap in order to be able to completely understand. Another expression: It will all come out in the wash::: .or-- Do not let the left hand know what the right hand is doing:-) Love, littlebee.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:35 am

littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

I'd tend to agree with this

It's a fundamental difference in the brain that's there from birth so how can it just vanish?

People can no doubt learn how to mask the outward effects of their autism better but I don't think
that's the same as growing out of it

People are not socially maladjusted just because they were born that way. That makes no sense..I agree there is a difference in the brain, but basically most brains integrate information approximately the same (right brain, big bites---left brain small bites, and then there is some comprehensive connection made (from many different angles) between the two hemispheres which involves integration, so taking some kind of leap into understanding and ultimately into action. Different brains of all kinds of people work approximately the same, though with some variation, and tend to synchronize their activity..

The brain is very flexible and changes the way it works through learning. There are many reasons why a person may not be able to synchronize with other people.Try to think of some psychological reasons a person may not be doing so.

Er I think you'll find they are

Autism is a difference in the way the brain works which makes it not well-adapted to the social world

certain modules are wired differently or even missing, which explains why we are always on the back foot when it comes to social interaction, as we have to perform manually what NTs do automatically

I don't know what form of autism or condition you have but this is what's happening in my brain

How you can say everyone's brain works more or less the same I do not know

It's not a psychology thing at all - it's how the brain is wired

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/47193.php

http://www.salk.edu/ra/autism.html

"The researchers understand that some important brain responses are too small or missing in autism, and a new framework of analysis may help them to understand why. Using the band metaphor, Salk scientists believe that there's a good possibility that in autism the coherence of the band is missing. There is no reorganization, and the instruments continue to play their own tunes."

Littlebee (me) wrote:

and you wrote.

Is the quoted sentence what you were replying to? A baby is not born socially adjusted. It is learned.

You also seem to be suggesting that just because by your reading of what I wrote I do not seem to agree with you, then I am not on the spectrum so do not know what I am talking about:-)

Thanks for the links. I did look that material over, but to me it was kind of simplistic. Yes, people do have different kinds of brain function and it can be genetic, but basically the brain functions of human beings is more similar than not, so (to me) it makes sense to look at it from this angle. Is it possible for a person to socially adjust and yet still maintain the integrity of the basic brain structure with the perhaps profound benefits of his unique abilities of function.

Yes, I agree with the general consensus on this thread, that a person's basic brain structure, meaning genetic, will never change, but a person can and will change with learning. His mind will change. Then the label begins to lose such significance unless some kind of beneficial application of its use can be found. Though ti may sound completely matter of fact, we, or at least I, am speaking in a kind of code here, It may be necessary to take a leap in order to be able to completely understand. Another expression: It will all come out in the wash::: .or-- Do not let the left hand know what the right hand is doing:-) Love, littlebee.

You've lost me completely as to what the point is that you are making

Peoples' brains differ greatly and their ability to change their behaviour differs greatly too

You seem to be placing unrealistic expectations on others

What code are you speaking in?

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

nessa238 wrote:
littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Littlebee (me) wrote:

and you wrote.

Peoples' brains differ greatly and their ability to change their behaviour differs greatly too

Some call it "the green language," but sorry, I got carried away. In any case, yes, some babies will have more difficulty adapting than other babies because of genetic brain function. With this I definitely agree, but psychological factors combined with brain function will affect the ability of a particular child to adapt. If a person thinks his problems are just because he was born with a unique brain, he will get stuck there. His main problem is really because of what he learned.. The key point I am trying to make is that trauma is behind a lot of people's maladjustment, and yes, the way their brain is designed plays into it, but if the psychological component is pushed under the rug then there is no way completely out. To be completely out is to be free, to enjoy and utilize the benefits and gift of a very unique brain.

I have a lot more to say. This is just touching on the subject, and I will continue trying to present this point, if the subject comes up, in whatever discussion I am participating. Also, I am not expecting everyone to understand or even be interested, and I would like to acknowledge that change can be very difficult. It was next to impossible for me, but I think because of my experience I can present material in such a way as to make it easier for someone else.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:30 pm

littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
littlebee wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Littlebee (me) wrote:

and you wrote.

Some call it "the green language," but sorry, I got carried away. In any case, yes, some babies will have more difficulty adapting than other babies because of genetic brain function. With this I definitely agree, but psychological factors combined with brain function will affect the ability of a particular child to adapt. If a person thinks his problems are just because he was born with a unique brain, he will get stuck there. His main problem is really because of what he learned.. The key point I am trying to make is that trauma is behind a lot of people's maladjustment, and yes, the way their brain is designed plays into it, but if the psychological component is pushed under the rug then there is no way completely out. To be completely out is to be free, to enjoy and utilize the benefits and gift of a very unique brain.

I have a lot more to say. This is just touching on the subject, and I will continue trying to present this point, if the subject comes up, in whatever discussion I am participating. Also, I am not expecting everyone to understand or even be interested, and I would like to acknowledge that change can be very difficult. It was next to impossible for me, but I think because of my experience I can present material in such a way as to make it easier for someone else.

Having a brain that functions in a different/slower way than the average person has caused me to develop psychological problems as a result of people rejecting and being intolerant towards me. So there is a combination of the non-standard design and action of my brain plus the knock-on psychological effect of how you get treated when your brain isn't behaving in the standard way

Even if you were to cure me of all the psychological problems though the basic difference/defectiveness of my brain would still remain and still be causing me problems with other people who were expecting me to act in a more normal way

I'm convinced that a lot of the time I'm having this type of conversation with people whose brains are only mildly affected by their ASD etc hence they think it's far easier to change and improve than it is for others. They assume everyone else is like them when we're not.

There's no textbook case of any condition that should be used as a baseline against which we should all be compared.

It's like saying 'Einstein had Aspergers and he was a genius therefore all people with Aspergers should be a genius too and if they aren't they just aren't trying hard enough'

Which is plainly ludicrous!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Doesn't a person's ability to 'grow out of it' depend on having the acceptance of some kind of peer group though?

If you are never accepted into a peer group how on earth are you meant to start acting 'peer-appropriate'?

Like i said, some do, some don't. Some aspies think they are helpless, some aspies are helpless. Some are high functioning and whine about small things, some are low functioning and are in need of serious help. (i could go on).

Some use that wet thing inside the skull to analyse forms of social interaction to learn how to behave themselves in society - studying people is handy. Going out to pubs and clubs as a youth and always comming home alone revealed to me that there is something i were lacking so i started to look at what people did.

Quote:
Where are your role models coming from, where is the positive reinforcement coming from?

For me, it came from Startrek The Next Generation. Having parents also helped.

Quote:
that's like expecting an orang-utang to start acting like a chimp just because it's got older and 'should have learned what to do by now'

Yes. The amount is decreasing with age though.

Quote:
I think people who castigate others for being immature/childish/not able to control aspects of their Aspergers are often receiving a far higher degree of general acceptance from the people around them in the first place

it is how a person's environment treats a person that will most strongly affect their behaviour in my opinion and if no one has ever included me in a peer group there's no way I was ever going to learn how to be like my peers!

Some people like me just reject societys norms and live independent lives as outsiders and are fully happy with that. I do not drive, i hardly ever drink, i do not like sports - i do not even have a TV and haven't seen TV since december when i visited my parents. People call me weirdo - but honestly i do not care.

It comes down to this: It is your life and you chose what to do with it and with who you want to spend time with. What other people (that you do not want to spend time with) think really does not matter.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

Ichinin wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Like i said, some do, some don't. Some aspies think they are helpless, some aspies are helpless. Some are high functioning and whine about small things, some are low functioning and are in need of serious help. (i could go on).

Some use that wet thing inside the skull to analyse forms of social interaction to learn how to behave themselves in society - studying people is handy. Going out to pubs and clubs as a youth and always comming home alone revealed to me that there is something i were lacking so i started to look at what people did.

Quote:

For me, it came from Startrek The Next Generation. Having parents also helped.

Quote:

Yes. The amount is decreasing with age though.

Quote:

Some people like me just reject societys norms and live independent lives as outsiders and are fully happy with that. I do not drive, i hardly ever drink, i do not like sports - i do not even have a TV and haven't seen TV since december when i visited my parents. People call me weirdo - but honestly i do not care.

It comes down to this: It is your life and you chose what to do with it and with who you want to spend time with. What other people (that you do not want to spend time with) think really does not matter.

You've contradicted yourself there

The first half of your post is saying 'If you study NTs enough you can learn to be like them' then the second half says 'Just be as weird as you like and to hell with what anyone else thinks!'

So which strategy is it that you are recommending?

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 2:02 pm

nessa238 wrote:

Having a brain that functions in a different/slower way than the average person has caused me to develop psychological problems as a result of people rejecting and being intolerant towards me. So there is a combination of the non-standard design and action of my brain plus the knock-on psychological effect of how you get treated when your brain isn't behaving in the standard way

Even if you were to cure me of all the psychological problems though the basic difference/defectiveness of my brain would still remain and still be causing me problems with other people who were expecting me to act in a more normal way

I'm convinced that a lot of the time I'm having this type of conversation with people whose brains are only mildly affected by their ASD etc hence they think it's far easier to change and improve than it is for others. They assume everyone else is like them when we're not.

There's no textbook case of any condition that should be used as a baseline against which we should all be compared.

It's like saying 'Einstein had Aspergers and he was a genius therefore all people with Aspergers should be a genius too and if they aren't they just aren't trying hard enough'

Which is plainly ludicrous!

I completely agree with your point. So are we to divide people here into Einsteins and stupids (and the inbetweens:-), and who is to do it? Each 'category' (depending upon who puts whom into what category] will do the division differently, plus also, smart people can become rather stupid and behave rather stupidly. I know cause I was kind of smart,even very smart, and I did become really quite stupid...but recently am starting to smarten up a bit, and that is a wonderful feeling, as I cannot be me without doing that....

In terms of a baseline---everybody has his own subjective baseline for measuring anything and everything....

"Even if you were to cure me of all the psychological problems though the basic difference/defectiveness of my brain would still remain and still be causing me problems with other people who were expecting me to act in a more normal way."

Don't have time to go more deeply right now, but it is your opinion, not mine, that your brain is defective, and I do not buy the story that your brain is causing your problems. It is in my opinion probably your mind, meaning your way of thinking. love, littlebee

p.s. you are assuming it was easy for me to change. Actually it was bizarrely difficult and seemingly impossible. I have done the impossible, little by little, one step at a time. It was very difficult and painful....and I have and/or had all kinds of impairments and additional trauma on top of childhood trauma along the way, though in some respects I was also fortunate. It took a long time.... bear in mind I am over seventy, but I think for someone else it could take less time if that person received certain information, though it still might be kind of difficult. I am willing to share/unfold what I, myself, have discovered, but would like to go slow..

Last edited by littlebee on 21 Mar 2013, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.