Aspergers: People and Doctors need to know more about it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Mar 2013, 11:08 pm

Why do people,when you tell them,"I Have Aspergers" tend to shy away,or,worse yet,treat one like they've got the Plague? I never did understand why some people still think they can get it by contact! They've need to be educated and know we are NOT as Violent,nor as Antisocial as they think we are! And,with the news constantly blaring the tragedies caused by certain individuals,blaming it all on Aspergers doesn't help,either..It makes us ALL look bad,which we are NOT! They need to actually sit down and talk to someone like me who can tell them the truth about us! It's time We ALL speak up! Who's with me on this?

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 2:35 am

It's considered a fairly new condition and trying to explain it is not as simple as it looks. More education about Aspergers, the better

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2013, 3:12 am

I was possibly more aware than most of Aspergers for several reasons. However it never occurred to me that it could be the reason I was seen as slightly wierd and cannot maintain friendships. I was not aware that women can present very differently than men. Yes, it is really important that there is awareness raising for three reasons. The first is understanding from the rest of society, the second is individuals like me becoming aware of the possibility and the third is so that people with AS are not misdiagnosed and treated inappropriately within the mental health system. However, how do we do this? I am recently diagnosed and not ready to 'go public'. Support for individuals where I live is virtually non existent. I have tried to get an idea of how many people in my area are diagnosed with no response. Anyone got any ideas how to raise awareness in a positive manner?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 7:09 am

Human instincts are to avoid the weakest link. People do not want emotional connections to people that have blatant weakness they feel threatened.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 7:34 am

I find people treat me OK. I don't just say 'I have Asperger's' (or mild autism - that's what I prefer to call it). Instead, I go into a monologue about how it affects me, to educate them.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 7:51 am

Ashuahhe wrote:
It's considered a fairly new condition and trying to explain it is not as simple as it looks. More education about Aspergers, the better

Fairly new? It was discovered in 1944.

No one had ever even heard of AIDS until the 1980s and people know more about that.

I dunno what the hell happened between the time Asperger's was originally discovered and the last decade when society finally decided to acknowledge its existence.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2013, 8:16 am

That's the thing; if it was contagious, NTs would know about it and be concerned because they would selfishly want to protect themselves.

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

However,people are just starting to become aware it is,indeed,an issue we must talk about,hence Forums like this one...The fact we are opening up now,is good,now that most are now aware it is no longer a rarity anymore,since 4 of 5 Adults now have Autism,and 5 of 6 Children...We,however,mustn't let our guard down yet,since many more need to hear this...We need everyone to know we all must stand together as one and join hands and hearts because,after all,we are all HUMANS,Plain and simple,no matter what we have,and need to bond together..Yeah,Sticky-Sweet sentiment I know,but it's 100% True! As a Title to a song said,"A Closed Heart Gathers No Love"! How True,this!

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 2:43 pm

Panddora wrote:
I was possibly more aware than most of Aspergers for several reasons. However it never occurred to me that it could be the reason I was seen as slightly wierd and cannot maintain friendships. I was not aware that women can present very differently than men. Yes, it is really important that there is awareness raising for three reasons. The first is understanding from the rest of society, the second is individuals like me becoming aware of the possibility and the third is so that people with AS are not misdiagnosed and treated inappropriately within the mental health system. However, how do we do this? I am recently diagnosed and not ready to 'go public'. Support for individuals where I live is virtually non existent. I have tried to get an idea of how many people in my area are diagnosed with no response. Anyone got any ideas how to raise awareness in a positive manner?
Go to group,like I Did,and just tell it like it should be! Never be afraid to speak your mind! God gave you a voice for a reason,so use it! Speak from your heart-Wouldn't hurt much to at least try,I say!