women question(How do you feel about purchasing new clothes)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

vero2410
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2013, 8:09 am

Every Girl, if not most, love dresses.... My girl friend in particular loves them... however i find that when she buys from onlinewebsites (in particular) there is always a problem. its ither the fit of the dress or the material. or it does not look the way it was advertised.. She loves dresses that accentuates her curves.. I want to know, are all dresses this probalamitic (i am not talking about high end dresses).... what are you expectaions of dresses... what do you want a dress to adress (accentuates curves, hide probalamitic areas, creat silhouttes, etc) I would love to know your opinions and experiences. Thanks
:D

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 8:30 am

I look for dresses that hide the bad stuff, that are comfortable and looser, and are easy to move around in. I have to try on everything I buy--even t-shirts--so I can't shop for clothes online except to "window shop", get ideas. I can't tell by looking at something on a hanger or on a skinny model how it will look on me.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 8:35 am

You can run into sizing problems for a lot of women's clothing, because there just doesn't seem to be much of a set standard. As for dresses, I think I might have worn one for my SIL's wedding....about five years ago. :wink:

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

Need to be cozy, fitting to the weather temperature and giving me freedom of movement.

Because of the last one it either needs to be very long or something that can be worn with leggings or pantie leggings, because I dont want to care every second if someone could see beneath it, when I move around. And it has to be washable in the machine. The last dresses "I" bought, i got from normal shops, because my mother in law forces me from now and then to buy some new clothes, and she wants to see it before she buys them. (So they are only for family visits of my family in law, so at least she pays them herself and does not force me to buy them, only because my family in law thinks I have to be wearing such things.)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

vero2410 wrote:
Every Girl, if not most, love dresses....

not really true. some do, some don't.

Quote:
My girl friend in particular loves them... however i find that when she buys from onlinewebsites (in particular) there is always a problem. its ither the fit of the dress or the material. or it does not look the way it was advertised.. She loves dresses that accentuates her curves.. I want to know, are all dresses this probalamitic (i am not talking about high end dresses).... what are you expectaions of dresses... what do you want a dress to adress (accentuates curves, hide probalamitic areas, creat silhouttes, etc) I would love to know your opinions and experiences. Thanks
:D

it's very hard to buy dresses online, unless they are not closely fitted to the body. for example, this would fit most women in their own size:

this might or might not:

[img][260:400]http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/635854407_1/Office-Ladies-Formal-Career-Work-Rosy-Black-Dresses-Square-neck-Sexy-Pencil-Dress-Half-sleeves-Party.jpg[/img]

fitted dresses are designed with very little ease and with perfect proportions in mind, so fewer people will fit into it. but one store's dresses will fit one woman's body, and the next store's dresses will not. the reason why different stores have different fits is because they are created according to each designer's set of measurements, and have varying amounts of ease built in. there are not adult standard sizes. it isn't just the circumference measurements that matter, but slopes and lengths too, and the websites don't really tell you that.

it's better to try items in person, then search for cheaper items by the same companies online if possible. or find online shops that have very good returns policies. on etsy.com and other websites you can also buy custom-made dresses for very good prices.

cakey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

I have to go to the malls and try on dresses for a good fit since I have wide hips, narrow waist and a small chest! So with that combo, it'd be hard to find a match online. In addition, I hate shopping for clothes. I try to picklone in under 30 minutes because I get annoyed at my own indecisiveness. Though I also enjoy wearing pretty dresses, yet I always have a coat since I'm always cold and I can't really show off the dress.

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

I've tried shopping online for clothes but I've had to return so many things because they don't look good on me I can't be bothered with the hassle anymore.

You never really know if something will look good on you until you try it on. The main things I look at are:
a) does the colour complement my skin tone? The wrong colour can make you look ill. Most people have either cool or warm skin tones and some colours won't look good on both.
b) does the fit flatter my figure? There's no such thing as a perfect body and you just have to accept that some styles won't look good on you. Find out what these are and avoid them. For example I have quite large shoulders so any clothes that draw attention to them (like shoulder pads or jewels or something) just make me look like a man, so I avoid them. I've also noticed that a lot of people wear jeans that are too small for them and end up with a 'muffin top' where their fat spills over the top. Wearing the next size up would flatter them better and actually make them look thinner.
c) is it age appropriate? This question goes for all ages but I think is more important for older people. I'm 30 now and sometimes when I try things on they make me look much older and frumpy, or make me look 'like mutton dressed as lamb', like I'm an old person trying too hard to look young.

I'll only buy something if it passes all these questions, although these are not always foolproof. Dressing rooms in most stores have artificial lighting to make you look good and mirrors that make you look thinner, so I always try them on again when I get home to see if they still look good. If they don't then ill take them back but this happens less often from a store than a website.

Was this helpful at all?

When in doubt........mumble.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

21 Mar 2013, 2:02 pm

I'm a pretty stocky person, so I can't usually get any type of clothes I want. I'm not really chubby or anything, I just have a huge build. :lol:

I usually buy loose dresses that are around fingertip length, so I don't have to worry about the fit.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:03 pm

im not really to keen on dresses usually. if i do have a dress it has to be long enough to feel comfortable which is about to the knee. i also really only like square necked ones, and i would always wear tights with them. i usually just wear jeans, top and jumper, much more comfy then dresses.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 3:16 pm

I hate it. I especially hate having to be trying them on. I also begrudge every penny I spend on clothes. That money could have gone towards buying new books or dvds!

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain