I've Got Aspergers, & I'm Seeking Help Launching a Caree

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

At 34, I've got plans for a musical, patents, children's books, etc, but need someone to help focus on my strengths, not my weaknesses, a business partner, almost. What online resources are there online for someone like me? In Puget Sound, I've found poor regional pickings, to say the least.

At the very least, I need someone to run Craigslist ads for me? I've done it myself, but that's called Tooting Your Own Horn, and is lousy social proof.

Suggestions?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 5:17 pm

How complete is your musical?
What are the patents for?
How complete are your children's books?

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Mar 2013, 4:10 pm

Well, friend, my musicals master notes must round four, five inches thick, and I've been workin' on it since August of 2007. I've got the first part outlines, got a dozens of songs for it typed out, and must be dozens more in my mind. Basically, it's about a rebellious Catholic schoolgirl, and the ghost that appears to her on Halloween Night, and proceeds to teach her sorcery; she ultimatelyrebels against him too, and well, finds out that wasn't such a good idea, let's just say. The themes are faith, doubt, and blasphemy, and the whole thing's very fairy-tele-esque.

My patent ideas are varied, but my favorite is my vortex engine idea, which air powered by heat, and turns them into concentrically layered vortices of air moving in alternating directions reinforcing each other in the process. It's like a tornado, but more involved, and at any rate, I'm not the first inventor to develop a radical energy solution.

In the end, my predecessors have been essentially martryrs, crucified, doused in oil, and set on fire to light the Appenine Freeway below. Their big problem as I see it, was they figured all they needed was invent, sell to a big business, and that would be that-- no need to market, no need to appreciate the nature of business, no nothing. Hopefully, I'm different from them, if only because I know not to make the same mistakes, and need to be more populist then they.

As for my ideas of children's books for my first one all I need in an illustrator. The story is just a simple retelling of a childhood memory from Cooperstown inductee Rollie Fingers, but captures the pain (and humor) from surviving a gallingly awful mistake.

Authors of children's books don't make a lot of money, but I could use the name recognition, though. Basically ,I jst need a support network to get started--there's lot of entry point, however, and I'm rarin' to go.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

Noitarist, you're correct that execution will be the most challenging portion of your plans.

I once responded to an ad asking for help running multiple Craigslist ads, but then I backed out when the discussion turned to the "need to purchase prepaid phones to verify up to three ads at a time by area code." Any job which requires the purchase of equipment before you can be paid is more than likely a scam.

Legitimate employers pay you during orientation and then earmark a portion -- but not all -- of your subsequent paychecks until the fixed, explicitly stated cost of work materials has been paid by the worker with the value of his/her labor, not with an up-front "non-refundable deposit" -- a true "deposit" is refundable by definition. Otherwise, it is a payment or fee. This equipment / uniform / training fee should never exceed your first two weeks of compensation, or else you could effectively work for free those two weeks and then be dismissed. I've never run into the issue, but it is a distinct possibility.

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

WestBender84 wrote:
Noitarist, you're correct that execution will be the most challenging portion of your plans.

I once responded to an ad asking for help running multiple Craigslist ads, but then I backed out when the discussion turned to the "need to purchase prepaid phones to verify up to three ads at a time by area code." Any job which requires the purchase of equipment before you can be paid is more than likely a scam.

Legitimate employers pay you during orientation and then earmark a portion -- but not all -- of your subsequent paychecks until the fixed, explicitly stated cost of work materials has been paid by the worker with the value of his/her labor, not with an up-front "non-refundable deposit" -- a true "deposit" is refundable by definition. Otherwise, it is a payment or fee. This equipment / uniform / training fee should never exceed your first two weeks of compensation, or else you could effectively work for free those two weeks and then be dismissed. I've never run into the issue, but it is a distinct possibility.

Obviously, something has to be worked out. A scam I am not, and certainly hold not a wish to be seen thus. I'm willing to pay in advance, but I do want to be able to trust the individual, obviously-guess I'll just cross da bridge whence i come to it.

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

To update, I've connected with this agency: http://enso.ws/services.html#pcplanning

Named after some Japanese word or other, it seems, at first blush, to be everything I've hoped for, aping my rhetoric, almost.

Thought? Me, I can't wait to get started doing something useful for a change--doing nothing is boring.