Feeling akward when outside of the house

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

Hi y'all

Whenever I leave the house and go out onto the streets I feel kind of akward and 'out of habit'. It's like a feeling of discomfort. I can't really determine where this feeling is from.
Is anyone familiar with this? Is this an aspie trait?

The feeling is even stronger when I am in another city and spend the night at a friend for example.

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2013, 12:56 pm

Hi dude,

I think it may be a trait. I feel it in any chit chat situation with more than one person. I feel it going down the street but thats because of my cannabis use, which I'm doing something about among other things (long story).

My personal opinion from my research on my condition is it stems from the need to be away from the chaos of an ever changing social schedule in the real world. The aspie channels his mind through self gratifying repetitive hobbies as a comfort from the unfamiliar.

I hope this makes sense and I welcome interjection and any criticism.

Dan D

albeniz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Hi y'all

Whenever I leave the house and go out onto the streets I feel kind of akward and 'out of habit'. It's like a feeling of discomfort. I can't really determine where this feeling is from.

The feeling is even stronger when I am in another city and spend the night at a friend for example.

T'es pas à l'aise quoi? :lol:

It is a feeling of anxiety which is a common, possibly the principal trait of aspergers, stemming from not knowing and fearing what may happen next which is obviously likely when you find yourself in the situations you have described. I think everyone experiences it, just some more than others in different situations, but aspergers probably more so because, and here I am only guessing, if something goes wrong you generally have to interact with other people to fix it up AND hypersensative aspies may be quite adept at detecting differences, such as unhabitual odeurs, sounds etc. This may also cover any aspergers type behaviour such as stimming or meltdowns that, god forbid, you may have to explain to someone.

Last edited by albeniz on 26 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sniv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

Interesting point.

I'm a keen photographer, and have spent way to much cash on cameras and lenses.

However, I do not like the idea of strolling around with my camera gear (perhaps finding a nice place for a sunset) all on my own. I only do so when I can buddy up with a friend that through my own interest also became interested in photography.

So here's something I love doing, but am not confident to do on my own, to the point of being scared, unless there is the reinsurance of a friendly face along side.

Is that something I should note as a possible asperger trait for when I start being evaluated?

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2013, 1:49 pm

Yes. When I recently spent the night at my friends house in Portland, everything felt out of place and strange. I even asked him what I should be doing because I did not want to impact his routine. It was like a sensory overload all the new things to look at.

I feel the anxiety of being out of place whenever I leave the house and go into society.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 2:41 pm

albeniz wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Hi y'all

T'es pas à l'aise quoi? :lol:

It is a feeling of anxiety which is a common, possibly the principal trait of aspergers, stemming from not knowing and fearing what may happen next which is obviously likely when you find yourself in the situations you have described. I think everyone experiences it, just some more than others in different situations, but aspergers probably more so because, and here I am only guessing, if something goes wrong you generally have to interact with other people to fix it up AND hypersensative aspies may be quite adept at detecting differences, such as unhabitual odeurs, sounds etc. This may also cover any aspergers type behaviour such as stimming or meltdowns that, god forbid, you may have to explain to someone.

Perhaps it stems from not having a sense of control, yeah...
I don´t know. I just can wrap my mind around it. Very annoying. I think that if there were no people then I wouldn´t find it as discomforting.