Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2013, 6:38 pm

I find that I have massive problems when I am to close to someone and I can feel them breathing on me, I also can't bear to have their hair too close to my face either. This makes it difficult if in a relationship to either share a bed or even to cuddle up to someone...

I find that I don't like the feel of other people's skin either.

My partner pointed this out to me earlier... :?

Can anyone relate? Is this a sensory issue?

slapdash
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

I don't know if it's related to Asperger/Autism but I can say that I cannot stand being breathed on. It's intolerable - can't explain why.

It's important to find ways to avoid this and other sensory things like it. I am married and even have children it can be done.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

Is there any good ways of getting around this...I can't even bear the sound...it's like a freight train.

Thanks for your reply

slapdash

26 Mar 2013, 7:12 pm

I was going to mention a few things about ensuring you are not being breathed on but the I am afraid I don't know how to avoid the sound. That's a taller task. Anyone?

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:50 pm

Bonafan wrote:
I find that I have massive problems when I am to close to someone and I can feel them breathing on me, I also can't bear to have their hair too close to my face either. This makes it difficult if in a relationship to either share a bed or even to cuddle up to someone...

OMG!! !! !! !! ! I thought I was the only person who had this problem! LOLOLOL

Anyway, I feel like if my husband's exhalations mix with my inhalations, I feel like I won't get enough oxygen. I hate the feeling. So, I turn him over so that I am spooning him from behind, this way I don't feel like I'm breathing in his air. Even if he breathes on my neck I cannot sleep. It is too distracting and I cannot relax.

Also, I don't like hair of any person near my face. I feel like it's blocking my airflow. Like my airflow is getting stuck in a bush. I can't think of any other way to describe it. It is anxiety producing.

I don't like hair in my own face either. I am constantly brushing it away. And I absolutely hate hair sticking on my skin during/after a shower, in the pool, after a haircut, etc. It feels like spiderwebs on my skin, Eew.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:50 pm

Learn tolerance skills?

I don't have a problem with breathing per se but if the person had bad breath I wouldn't be able to tolerate it. I'd have to move away from them.

If you can hear the person's breathing it indicates they are a heavy breather with some kind of respiratory problem like asthma as generally a person's breathing isn't that audible - not to me anyway

If I'm in a public place, the embarrassment of drawing attention to myself by saying 'Stop doing that!' would be enough to prevent me from saying anything

If I'm at home with my friend I might say 'can you stop singing please' if I reach the stage where I absolutely can't tolerate it any longer but most times I think 'They must be feeling happy if they're singing so I won't spoil it for them' it does take monumental effort sometimes though!

I've been on buses with a child doing that earsplitting scream and I've felt inches from shouting at the mother 'shut that f-king child up before I do!' but I've not done it.

I've evidently got the ability to hold it in

If a person upsets me emotionally though I've got far less ability to hold it in

I don't have a problem with touch/skin contact with a partner and can imagine if you do that it's a hard thing to deal with

I'm not usually aware of a person's hair when close as it's usually short so not in my face

if my own hair gets in my face yes that's annoying and having a hair in my mouth - very disturbing - I need to get it out ASAP!

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

Oh my.. I can't tell you how many times I ask people not to breathe so hard and "Don't breathe on me"... at work I find myself holding my breath to avoid breathing someones exhale too...

I can not tolerate in any way someone breathing on me... if they persist when I ask them to stop I get quite cross followed by anger. I can not stand the feeling at all. Also a fan.. it has to be blowing on a higher setting and if someone blocks the air flow when I do not expect it I near wig out "Don't block my air!"...

The sound issue is an issue too... hate it ++

No coping mechanisms in place for it. Have tried a few things but they fail miserably. Sorry to not be of any help.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

Bonafan wrote:

If i were to feel someone breathing on me, i'd be most likely to have a high propensity for violence and lash out. There are very few people who i allow to come close to me.
I hate it when strangers stand to close in public, they don't know boundaries

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

Spooning my partner from behind is my solution as well. At least, it was when I was married.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Cryptonite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

Have the same problem with people breathing even near me, if I can hear it or feel it. If my husband is home, I have to sleep in the living room. Also, have a problem with hair touching me. When I sleep all my hair has to be straight up in the air so it doesn't touch me. I've had these problems a long time. You learn your own ways of coping. Hope you do to.

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

I don't like people breathing on me because maybe they have a cold (and frequently, they do not cover mouth when hacking or coughing .....

CC_Blossom

05 Apr 2015, 3:52 pm

You are not alone. I myself don't like it when people breathe on me whether it be through their noses or mouths. It makes me feel like I'm gonna get sick if their breath gets into my body.

Phoenix13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

OMG I hate this so much! I always feel like I am not getting enough oxygen too.

I am always the big spoon.

I often have trouble sleeping in the same bed as someone else due to sensory issues. I will sleep out on the couch.

Luckily my bf is very understanding even if he'd prefer I was sleeping with him. I usually will cuddle with him while he falls asleep though. I like to cuddle, I just find it overstimulating sometimes. We have been together for years so it is not a deal-breaker if you find the right person. :)

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 6:55 am

Yes, yes yes! I've had so many moments when I was talking to someone and suddenly shut up when I notice or feel them breathing too close to me. It's incredibly annoying.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2015, 6:57 am

Worse thing is when they have bad breath too. I'm almost gagging.