Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sosiologismus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

Drehmaschine wrote:
jekenai wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But what happens then, when you have a repeat offender who doesn't want to have his problem fixed? And it should be remembered, most child murderers are also sex offenders.
I think if a sex offender has undergone therapy to rid him of his predilections, and can keep from offending again, his name should be removed from the sex offender registry after a certain number of years. But there are some offenders who will always be a danger.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Actually the murders of children by sexual offenders are rare. Murders from other reasons are more common - for example as the way to hurt the ex-partner.

I can only remember Haarmann, Bartsch, Kürten, Gacy, Chikatilo, Dodd, and Dahmer. I know more, but forget their names.

It depends on statistics, not media representation.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
It is said that the sex offenders registry is used to protect people from sex offenders. Well if people need protection from them then why have a sex offender's registry at all? Why aren't they being given multiple life sentences instead?

This makes perfect sense (not!). It's so stupid to throw people out on the street and then make it impossible for them to live. This makes them a public burden and possibly a risk of reoffending. Like what are they supposed to do? lol

Why not divide them into three groups?

1. the group of heinous offenders who get executed

2. the group who is allowed to choose between castration and life in prison

3. the group who can be completely rehabilitated and have their record wiped clean

Erm... seriously? You're suggesting replacing the sex offenders register with the death penalty and castration?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
All I know about the subject is what Nancy Grace tells me.

Everytime a little girl or boy disappears in the nation- Nancy Grace will always inform us that "nineteen thousand four hundred and eighty six registered sex offenders live with five square miles of the missing child's house."

If you wanna replace the registery with either the death penalty, or lifetime imprisonment, it would amount to genocide of the nation!

Also- arent many of the people on the registery guys who got busted when they were nineteen for sleeping with thier 17 year old fiances? Not all of them are non normal types. Sexual offense would be a sliding scale I would think. Just how easy/hard is it to get on the registry?

To be sure, it's an absurdity to put such so called "offenders" on a sex offender registry. The lives of law abiding citizens are disrupted, and resources that could be put to monitoring real sex offenders could be made scarce.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Everytime a little girl or boy disappears in the nation- Nancy Grace will always inform us that "nineteen thousand four hundred and eighty six registered sex offenders live with five square miles of the missing child's house."

If you wanna replace the registery with either the death penalty, or lifetime imprisonment, it would amount to genocide of the nation!

Also- arent many of the people on the registery guys who got busted when they were nineteen for sleeping with thier 17 year old fiances? Not all of them are non normal types. Sexual offense would be a sliding scale I would think. Just how easy/hard is it to get on the registry?

Who is Nancy Grace and how do you figure that she is reliable?

Oh I believe EVERYTHING that Nancy Grace tells me!

Like the fact that all defense attornies are slimy villians, and that our system assumes guilt until you're proven innocent!

Lol!

But seriously- she is a former prosecutor who hosts a show on Tru TV that gives the play-by-play on all of the high profile crimes in the media at the given moment that I used to watch when I had cable, but did not like being SEEN watching.

There was a whole slew of tots who vanished about the same time as Kaylee Anthony- and for each one (including Kaylee Anthony) she would inform you that there are '269 registered sex offenders' within some number of miles from the tot's house -or some triple digit figure like that. There is no reason doubt her figures. But it does make you wonder at how endemic 'sex offenders' seem to be in every community.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

Sosiologismus wrote:
Drehmaschine wrote:
jekenai wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But what happens then, when you have a repeat offender who doesn't want to have his problem fixed? And it should be remembered, most child murderers are also sex offenders.
I think if a sex offender has undergone therapy to rid him of his predilections, and can keep from offending again, his name should be removed from the sex offender registry after a certain number of years. But there are some offenders who will always be a danger.

Actually the murders of children by sexual offenders are rare. Murders from other reasons are more common - for example as the way to hurt the ex-partner.

I can only remember Haarmann, Bartsch, Kürten, Gacy, Chikatilo, Dodd, and Dahmer. I know more, but forget their names.

It depends on statistics, not media representation.
Not Media, these were actually documented, not from television. I just named a few that were sexual offenders and serial killers, nothing political.

Sosiologismus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 6:48 pm

Yeah sure. But namedropping doesn't (scientifically) prove how proportionate anything is to a given phenomenon, not when it is in as big a scale as sexual offence and murder. I say this because it seemed like you were trying to prove a point.

"Actually the murders of children by sexual offenders are rare. Murders from other reasons are more common - for example as the way to hurt the ex-partner." This - and
"most child murderers are also sex offenders." Can only be proven by statistics.

jekenai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2013, 5:59 am

Sosiologismus wrote:
Yeah sure. But namedropping doesn't (scientifically) prove how proportionate anything is to a given phenomenon, not when it is in as big a scale as sexual offence and murder. I say this because it seemed like you were trying to prove a point.

"Actually the murders of children by sexual offenders are rare. Murders from other reasons are more common - for example as the way to hurt the ex-partner." This - and
"most child murderers are also sex offenders." Can only be proven by statistics.

Yes, definitely. I've seen some numbers, but I don't know how reliable they are. First it was that about 2/3 of child murders are done by parents. I guess parents rarely have sexual motives. Next I saw a claim that there had been only 3 sexually motivated murders of children in the Czech republic since 1989, I don't know how old this claim is, but it means in 10 - 15 years I guess. If it's true, then there were definitely more murders of children from other reasons. Quite often are murders of newborns, also I've read that a lot of child murders are so-called extended suicides (when the offender kill his children and then commit or try to commit a suicide).

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 6:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

To be sure, it's an absurdity to put such so called "offenders" on a sex offender registry. The lives of law abiding citizens are disrupted, and resources that could be put to monitoring real sex offenders could be made scarce.

According to this thread,if I lived in the USA I would have been in jail separate times. Public urinating (Is the alternative of public urinating into his trousers really so much better? ^^), child molesting and rape of my 17 year old partner when I was 19 and whatever problems you have with topless girls on the beachbaths.... My whole country is full of people that would deserve death and castration according to some posters. XD

As I am nor informed of me being a dangerous criminal, deserving catration and death, where can I get my cool gang tattoo I can now proudly wear as member of pervert gang?

Quote:
1) That all sex offenders are made alike.
Dont know.
Quote:
2) That no sex offender is capable of rehabilitation, or repudiation of the propensity towards sexual offenses.
I agree with that one. So in the future I dont plan to piss myself in my trousers, because of some people that are not capable of turning their heads. If I find the love of my life that is two years younger then me, I wont care and because my breasts never attacked someone and always behaved very nice, I refuse to let someone else tell me, that I need to leash them in the beach bath. ^^

Quote:
3) That the existence of the sex offender registry creates security for communities.
"Oh my god! The digital data of the sex offender registry is trying to break my door to prevent me from my evil doing!"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 6:45 am

To be sung to the well know tune that the Platters made back in the 1970s (Oh yes I'm the great pretender).

Oh yes, I'm the sex offender
Offending whenever I can
My need is such, I offend too much
Offending whenever I can ----- Offending whenever I can.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 9:44 am

Schneekugel wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

According to this thread,if I lived in the USA I would have been in jail separate times. Public urinating (Is the alternative of public urinating into his trousers really so much better? ^^), child molesting and rape of my 17 year old partner when I was 19 and whatever problems you have with topless girls on the beachbaths.... My whole country is full of people that would deserve death and castration according to some posters. XD

As I am nor informed of me being a dangerous criminal, deserving catration and death, where can I get my cool gang tattoo I can now proudly wear as member of pervert gang?

Quote:
1) That all sex offenders are made alike.
Dont know.
Quote:
2) That no sex offender is capable of rehabilitation, or repudiation of the propensity towards sexual offenses.
I agree with that one. So in the future I dont plan to piss myself in my trousers, because of some people that are not capable of turning their heads. If I find the love of my life that is two years younger then me, I wont care and because my breasts never attacked someone and always behaved very nice, I refuse to let someone else tell me, that I need to leash them in the beach bath. ^^

Quote:
3) That the existence of the sex offender registry creates security for communities.
"Oh my god! The digital data of the sex offender registry is trying to break my door to prevent me from my evil doing!"

I think that no system of justice is balanced without some sense of mercy towards wrongdoers, even those who can't seem to be rehabilitated. To that end I fully support castration in some form or even the death penalty. The sex offender registry is just the present-day Scarlet Letter, and some "sexual offenses" amount to little more than bizarre witch hunts for the pure and holy among us. Sure, I believe in the ideal of chastity until marriage. But I think it's hypocritical to demonize those who have sex with minors giving consent and let anything else go with the underaged. That's just parents being stupid. If minors are incapable of consenting, then the treatment of sexual offenses pertaining to minors should be equally prosecutable and equally punished across the board, with respect to both males AND females and brand them both for life. If that is unacceptable, then so ought it be in the adult world.

I don't get nearly enough sex to satisfy my continually raging male hormones and honestly wouldn't mind voluntary chemical castration. But I don't see how this would solve any problems relating to criminal repeat offenders. Those that pose a genuine danger and really do belong on a registry are dealing with psychological or maybe even psychiatric issues that just happen to manifest themselves sexually. Cutting off a penis, in whatever form that might take, simply removes one body member a man can poke someone with. It is not the only means these people have for finding gratification.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
It is said that the sex offenders registry is used to protect people from sex offenders. Well if people need protection from them then why have a sex offender's registry at all? Why aren't they being given multiple life sentences instead?

If they would tighten the critera for 'sex offender' to people who have raped someone or molested a child then I could see that, however a lot of times some states have very specific age consent laws. Like in a couple states I am pretty sure one can be charged as a sex offender if they're 18 and sleep with their 16 year old girlfriend or boyfriend.....So I think the issue is a lot of alleged sex offenders do not really belong with the rapists and child molesters I've heard of quite a few unusual cases where i find it ridiculous the person now has to register as a sex offender for the rest of their life.

I mean if you find out a sex offender lives near you, you don't know if they where in a relationship and there was an issue with age laws.....or if they actually maliciously committed a sex crime.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

My lazy nephew, who is 22 and never leaves his room because he ONLY plays video games and talks on the phone, is a sex offender. Really.

When he was 18 he broke up with his gf he had been dating for 2 years. She was 16 at the time and they had had sex, and some way or other because of where birthdays fell, they had sex at one point when he was 18 and she was 15. He broke up with her and not in a nice way either. She was furious, and so she went to her dad and told him about the sex. Her dad was terrified the whole time that they were having sex but she kept telling him they didn't. He had threatened to go to the cops before, but while she was dating him she didn't want that to happen, of course. So, she goes to her dad and tells him about the sex. Nephew is arrested at his house and taken to jail. It was his senior year and he missed a lot of school because of court and he whined about the "other kids bothering him" so my BIL took him out of school - in his senior year - and let him sit home play video games and smoke pot all day.

Anyway, I doubt he talked the girl into sex, at least after the first time anyway. I don't particularly trust him but he's too lazy for that much effort and he's far from charmingly persuasive.

Anyway, he's on the sex offender registry. He was convicted of sex with an underage person or something worded like that, and child endangerment. I do not understand that last one, but I don't care that much about his life. It goes hand in hand with the first charge or something.

I'm sure theres lots of that kind of sex offenders out there as well as the real kind, like rapists and child molesters.

I think you can be put on it as well if you are somehow caught violating the sodomy laws. That means you could be put on it if you were caught doing something in your home with a consenting adult, that is simply against sodomy laws. Of course those aren't really looked to be enforced but if they wanted to I'm sure they could actually manage to do that in some states.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Tsunami
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2013, 5:11 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I think you can be put on it as well if you are somehow caught violating the sodomy laws. That means you could be put on it if you were caught doing something in your home with a consenting adult, that is simply against sodomy laws. Of course those aren't really looked to be enforced but if they wanted to I'm sure they could actually manage to do that in some states.

The United States Supreme Court ruled sodomy laws unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas a few years ago. Basically they said the right to privacy covers anything between consenting adults in a private setting. So go at it you kinky devils!