Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm

I've been calorie restricting for a month (not drastically, though, about 1400 a day - to avoid going into starvation mode). I've lost a little bit of weight, but I have been getting a bit down when I hit my calorie limit and have to be hungry for the rest of the day (I should pace myself better). I keep fantasizing about fried chicken. I really love bad food.

It has been a bit easier since I cut down on my SSRIs, but I might be getting diagnosed with Bipolar II soon and I don't wanna go on mood stabilisers because they're even worse for weight gain. I guess I don't have much choice because I can't really afford to go hypomanic again, in case I end up hurting myself. Ugh.

This brings me to the 5:2 diet. It's where you fast on 500 calories for 2 days a week and on the other days, you eat pretty much what you like (within reason). Has anyone tried this? I'm seriously thinking about trying it - and not only for the weight loss (though that is a big thing because I have let myself get bloody fat). I've heard it's good for blood pressure and cholesterol, too. I know I'm a bit young to worry about them, but there's no harm in starting early. I think I would be able to stick to the 5:2 diet, as well. It simplifies things.

Is it a good idea? Is it safe? I've read good things about it and I've heard it's only really dangerous if you're prone to eating disorders (I'm not).

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

Just stick with not eating sugary and fatty foods. You will lose your taste for them eventually, and it will become natural to eat right. Otherwise, indulging sometimes, you will retain your taste for them, and things will be more difficult for you.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

starkid wrote:
Just stick with not eating sugary and fatty foods. You will lose your taste for them eventually, and it will become natural to eat right. Otherwise, indulging sometimes, you will retain your taste for them, and things will be more difficult for you.

I will never lose my taste for them, short of sustaining a specific brain injury that would make it so.

I've been on strict diets for long periods before and I never lost my taste for crap. Even 'healthy' food is something I eat in excess. Excess comes naturally to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:01 pm

what it boils down to, is that i'd rather feel good than taste good.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

Why not just exercise and eat more calories?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Why not just exercise and eat more calories?

would not the latter cancel out the former's benefit?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 6:38 am

Do 1k cal worth of exercise, then eat your maintainence calories plus 500 calories over, 500 cal deficit, then weight loss.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 7:56 am

1000Knives wrote:
Do 1k cal worth of exercise, then eat your maintainence calories plus 500 calories over, 500 cal deficit, then weight loss.

I am way too lazy to do 1k cal worth of exercise. Maybe I'd do that over the period of a week.

I'm lucky if I do 200cals worth. Do you think I should keep lifting weights to keep my metabolism up (and get the protein for the muscle, of course)?

Vigorous exercise actually makes me feel bad, mood-wise. I do best with a moderate amount. I guess that's the only thing I do in moderation!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 3:35 pm

Have you tried not eating later than three hours before bedtime (except for a small snack if necessary)?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

starkid wrote:
Have you tried not eating later than three hours before bedtime (except for a small snack if necessary)?

How does that work to make you eat less over all?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
starkid wrote:

It doesn't, at least not necessarily. I thought your goal was weight loss.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

starkid wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
starkid wrote:

It doesn't, at least not necessarily. I thought your goal was weight loss.

Which occurs by eating less than you burn off.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:09 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

How much is burned off is affected by when you eat, via your activity level. You will burn calories more efficiently by eating around the times you are active, rather than right before you lie down to sleep. At least, that's the theory behind it as I understand it.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:12 pm

starkid wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

How much is burned off is affected by when you eat, via your activity level. You will burn calories more efficiently by eating around the times you are active, rather than right before you lie down to sleep. At least, that's the theory behind it as I understand it.

Ok. I've always thought of it as like a bank I can withdraw from and pay in to, I didn't think about the efficiency.