Do you use prescription drugs for your ASD?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you use prescription drugs for your ASD?
Antidepressant drug 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Anti-anxiety drug 34%  34%  [ 15 ]
Antipsychotic drug 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Some combination of the three above 25%  25%  [ 11 ]
Other psycho-active drugs 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Other (non-psycho-active) prescription drugs 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 44

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Mar 2013, 5:24 pm

Kuribo wrote:
Why didn't you include a "none" option?

This. I don't take any prescribed medications.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

Yes.

Prozac, 40mg.

Concerta, 18mg.

Risperidone, .5mg

The Prozac is for depression and anxiety, the Concerta is for my attention issues, and the Risperidone for irritability and self-injury.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

Prozac 60mg
Seroquel 100mg
Concerta 36mg
Clonazepam 0.5mg
Metoprolol 50mg

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:16 am

Mmuffinn wrote:
Prozac 60mg
Seroquel 100mg
Concerta 36mg
Clonazepam 0.5mg
Metoprolol 50mg

Is the Metoprolol (a beta-blocker) for anxiety? And if so, is it a diagnosed anxiety disorder, like social anxiety or GAD?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:21 am

Kuribo wrote:

This! I've never used any type of meds for my ASDs, nor for any co-morbid, unless you count probiotics.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

nessa238 wrote:
Rattus wrote:
Not now but I have been on it for years, it made me pretty unwell and exhausted to begin with. I don't find it helps me for the depression but it makes me so unwell when I try to come off it I daren't try until I am really stable and I haven't been stable enough yet.

I've been on it for years too and I'm on half the dose you are and it makes me feel tired and unmotivated a lot of the time

The only benefit is I don't get suicidally depressed on it and I dont' seem to ruminate on negative things so much

A lot of this is because it makes my mind go blank a lot though I think! My memory is terrible!

I have taken Seroquel in the past too and that made me very tired as well - more tired than the Efexor

I seem to be very sensitive to medication

I can come off Effexor - it's an unpleasant withdrawal process but I can tolerate it and it's easier if on a lower dose

I just end up depressed again if I'm off it too long though

I would describe myself as clinically depressed at periods, I would at the moment. However, I don't think it's the Effexor doing that for me, I think it's that it doesn't do it's job properly or at all in my case. I too am pretty sensitive to medications, I do get side effects from all the ones I take, it's more that the side effects are livable in relation to the relief the drugs give me. Seroquel is incredibly sedating but I take it to get me to sleep so it does the desired job. I canot take it during the day at all and I have to take the ones that aren't the XL modified release versions. That led to some incredibly embarrasing incidents the day after when I was in IP, I spent pretty much the whole week falling asleep, I won't be trying that again. The pregabalin makes me very internal but I don't mind that, infact it's ofen preferable.
Do you think it's the meds or how you might actually be, do you think you could be too depressed and the medication simply isn't helping? God, I hope that doesn't offend you, that really isn't my intention, I am just not able to think of a less clumsy way to put it today, stupid brain day. x

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Dexedrine IR (Dextroamphetamine) - technically it's for ADHD, but it helps with many AS symptoms as well.

Self prescribed & administered THC.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

Rattus wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Rattus wrote:
Not now but I have been on it for years, it made me pretty unwell and exhausted to begin with. I don't find it helps me for the depression but it makes me so unwell when I try to come off it I daren't try until I am really stable and I haven't been stable enough yet.

I've been on it for years too and I'm on half the dose you are and it makes me feel tired and unmotivated a lot of the time

The only benefit is I don't get suicidally depressed on it and I dont' seem to ruminate on negative things so much

A lot of this is because it makes my mind go blank a lot though I think! My memory is terrible!

I have taken Seroquel in the past too and that made me very tired as well - more tired than the Efexor

I seem to be very sensitive to medication

I can come off Effexor - it's an unpleasant withdrawal process but I can tolerate it and it's easier if on a lower dose

I just end up depressed again if I'm off it too long though

I would describe myself as clinically depressed at periods, I would at the moment. However, I don't think it's the Effexor doing that for me, I think it's that it doesn't do it's job properly or at all in my case. I too am pretty sensitive to medications, I do get side effects from all the ones I take, it's more that the side effects are livable in relation to the relief the drugs give me. Seroquel is incredibly sedating but I take it to get me to sleep so it does the desired job. I canot take it during the day at all and I have to take the ones that aren't the XL modified release versions. That led to some incredibly embarrasing incidents the day after when I was in IP, I spent pretty much the whole week falling asleep, I won't be trying that again. The pregabalin makes me very internal but I don't mind that, infact it's ofen preferable.
Do you think it's the meds or how you might actually be, do you think you could be too depressed and the medication simply isn't helping? God, I hope that doesn't offend you, that really isn't my intention, I am just not able to think of a less clumsy way to put it today, stupid brain day. x

I don't know

If I take less I can feel better for a short while but then start to feel worse

So I switched to a higher dose but that's just making me feel more tired and probably more depressed as I don't feel like doing anything

I think I will ask my Dr if I can try something else as I need something but something that doesn't stop me wanting to do anything.

I don't feel that depressed but i have no motivation to do anything and if I lie in bed awake I will ruminate negatively

All I feel like doing is sleeping or reading in bed, going online or watching TV and if I could I'd be eating chocolate etc too

With the cold weather I just feel like I'm hibernating and everything is too much trouble

When I get really depressed I don't feel like eating so I haven't reached that stage yet

I just never seem to have much of the 'feel-good' chemicals in my brain

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:09 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I don't feel that depressed but i have no motivation to do anything and if I lie in bed awake I will ruminate negatively

All I feel like doing is sleeping or reading in bed, going online or watching TV and if I could I'd be eating chocolate etc too

With the cold weather I just feel like I'm hibernating and everything is too much trouble

Maybe you have SAD?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_a ... e_disorder

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:40 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Maybe you have SAD?

I thought bad depression was more serious than SAD

I do have a lightbox so will try using that

Generally though I can feel like this any time in the year if my mood drops low enough

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:55 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Kuribo wrote:

This. I don't take any prescribed medications.

ditto.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 6:00 pm

As ASD is a neurological condition, i was told there is no medicine for it. But i do take medicines for co-morbid conditions of GAD and depression.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2013, 6:08 pm

StuartN wrote:
Mmuffinn wrote:
Prozac 60mg
Seroquel 100mg
Concerta 36mg
Clonazepam 0.5mg
Metoprolol 50mg

Is the Metoprolol (a beta-blocker) for anxiety? And if so, is it a diagnosed anxiety disorder, like social anxiety or GAD?

It is for GAD and panic disorder and also helps with my migraines.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 9:28 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Maybe you have SAD?

Generally though I can feel like this any time in the year if my mood drops low enough

Oh. I thought with that last sentence in my quote "With the cold weather I just feel like I'm hibernating and everything is too much trouble" that it might be the season that got to you since a lot of people are affected by winter. It was just a thought.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 5:46 am

Skilpadde wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Maybe you have SAD?

Oh. I thought with that last sentence in my quote "With the cold weather I just feel like I'm hibernating and everything is too much trouble" that it might be the season that got to you since a lot of people are affected by winter. It was just a thought.

The cold weather is basically giving me an excuse not to make any effort as in 'It's far too cold outside, better to stay indoors'
In the past my GP noted that my depressions seemed to come on around March, like a cyclical thing, so perhaps it is season related. I do tend to go downhill around March, which is when my birthday is as well lol. Long before I ever got started on anti-depressants, there's a photo of me on my 21st Birthday sitting with my Mother and brother, holding a cake and trying to force a smile. I've never been a happy person to be quite honest. my role in life seems to be to find people information and listen to their troubles as I certainly don't entertain or cheer them up! :cry:

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2013, 4:21 pm

Oh no, prescribed medication should only be considered mandatory to ASD individuals who are afflicted with a concurrent psychiatric or medical disorder, that is construed and professionally diagnosed by a licensed physician (clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, doctors etc.). They are not neurologically defective and cannot be cured by generic drugs or controversial treatments; however, early intensive behavioral interventions might be effective into stimulating cognitive and linguistic development in early diagnosed children with an ASD, irrespective of severity. It may help some to move along up towards the high functioning end of the spectrum later in life.

As a person who has gladly never been on medication, I find it somewhat perturbing on the accountability of adverse effects that prescribed medication like anti-psychotics or psycho-tropics may have upon high-functioning individuals with ASD, such as temporal deterioration of invaluable cognitive abilities, weight gain, attentiveness, hindrance of visual thinking strategies, and minor risk of induced epileptic seizures.

Hypothetically speaking, if it wasn’t for bullying, child abuse, inadequate nurturing, domestic violence, and environmental intolerance, people with ASD’s wouldn’t be unjustly predisposed or susceptible to developing any form of psychopathological illness. Only self-acceptance and acknowledgment of ASD's individuals to thrive and contribute to society can preclude these environmental denominators. If this happened to be the case in reality, autism as a neurological “difference” probably wouldn’t have generated a multi-billion dollar industry for the “evil” pharmaceutical companies and the health insurers, despite the fact that fairly common underlying conditions like Tourette syndrome, Epilepsy, ADHD, Allergies, sensory processing disorder, chromosomal abnormalities, Fragile X syndrome, and Tuberous sclerosis, which may genetically correlate with ASD, are ideal for treating with non-psychiatric orientated medication. I’m entirely convinced that the American Psychiatric Association (APA) shares a much more formal alliance with the pharmaceutical industry, and it has been long known conceived by the public that the APA is partially funded and financially dependent on the drugs companies themselves.

I did have trouble integrating within society as a child, but I overcame my early behavioral problems and I am intellectually, conscientiously, and physically well brought up neurologically and psychologically, and there is no need for my exceptional mind to be demonized by unnecessary medication, and I’m certainly not the first or the last.
Aspie score: 186 out of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 12 out of 200
AQ: 48/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 29 Apr 2013, 5:58 am, edited 4 times in total.