Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

Did you think the lord of the rings film trilogy was good?

I am not a fan of the films and I attempted too watch the fellowship of the ring but i just did not enjoy. I must say though the scenery in the film was breathtaking.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:19 pm

Jamesy wrote

Quote:
I am not a fan of the films and I attempted too watch the fellowship of the ring but i just did not enjoy. I must say though the scenery in the film was breathtaking.

That's a shame I fricking love these movies. I will admit I have never read the books as I'm not usually the book reading type unless it's graphic novels but yeah I love these movies and the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was awesome as well. I've read the book to that movie and I can't wait for The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again. Don't know if I'm gonna read LOTR as it would be too much to get through and I hear J.R.R. Tolkin is very very hard to read though I'm probably judging a book by it's cover but I love the movies.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

I thought they were very well done. Only nitpick is I wanted to see more closure on Sarumon in the ending.

I have not seen The Hobbit yet.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 1:26 am

Jamesy wrote:
Did you think the lord of the rings film trilogy was good?

I like them, again with difference of opinion. The scenery is definitely breathtaking, but it is easily the Star Wars of the new millennium.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 7:11 am

It was basically eye candy and fantasy otherworld escapism, and I liked it for that, because that is what I was looking for at the time.

In hindsight though, the characters were stereotypical, the story line/plot was pretty simple, straightforward and predictable, even if you have never read the book.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

I have strange taste in films :oops:

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:16 pm

The movies took themselves way too seriously. I read the books once when I was younger and I feel like the movies followed the books pretty well.

Fantasy stories in general are too similar to be interesting, there's always magic, some hero going on an adventure, and monsters along the way. The only thing that seems to change are names and magical properties of whatever creature the author wants to feature this time. I'd rather be surprised by whatever I'm reading or watching.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:58 pm

I enjoyed the movies quite a bit. Back in my college days, we had used the Lord Of The Rings trilogy as our text in a Fantasy literature class I had taken, so I had looked forward to the movies. I have yet to see the Hobbit movie - I never read that book.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:08 pm

Heh.

The best fantasy movie of all is The Princess Bride.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

I loved the trilogy. It's a pity you only watched the first film, as in my opinion it's definitely the weakest film in terms of pacing. It is a fairly large time investment since they're such long films, but I'd recommend you see The Two Towers before dismissing the entire film series. It is a huge step up from the first film with less emphasis on Frodo's journey and extended exposition, with multiple plot threads running simultaneously, and more buildup and payoff leading up to it's third act. As a standalone film it works in a way that the first film does not. The first film just... ends. Not even on a cliffhanger really, it just stops and asks you to keep watching its sequels to get a payoff. The second film has a more traditional three act structure that feels satisfying even if you never watch the final film in the trilogy.

MDD123, have you seen the Game of Thrones television series? It doesn't follow that formula at all and may be up your alley if you tire of Tolkien cliche. To be fair to Lord of the Rings though, it's the series that popularised its particular brand of fantasy and spawned a multitude of similar series.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:08 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
MDD123, have you seen the Game of Thrones television series? It doesn't follow that formula at all and may be up your alley if you tire of Tolkien cliche. To be fair to Lord of the Rings though, it's the series that popularised its particular brand of fantasy and spawned a multitude of similar series.

I've been avoiding the series for that same reason. I'll have to remember to give it a chance. I liked LOTR when I read it, it was my first exposure to the fantasy genre. My dad has read the books and watched the movies more times than I can count, he's been to every movie premier dressed as Gandalf (except for "The Hobbit")

I'm in the middle of a Star Trek phase, but I'll be sure to give Game of Thrones a look when I get tired of that.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I thought they were very well done. Only nitpick is I wanted to see more closure on Sarumon in the ending.

I have not seen The Hobbit yet.

Have you watched the extended editions? I remember feeling like that with the theatrical version of Return of the King, but the scene near the beginning of it at Isengard is better in the extended edition. Then again, there is still no Scouring of the Shire like the books, but I think people might have rioted if they had added another 30 minutes or so of movie to include that after the point of the movie everyone would have expected to be the end. I personally wish they had filmed and included it in the extended versions at least.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 1:12 am

I love those films, they are really good.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 4:49 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
I love those films, they are really good.

My words exactly, and I've got the extended editions as well. Peter Jackson did a great job! I hope he does the same with The Hobbit and its sequels.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 6:59 am

I really love the movies. My favourite is the second one. I also have read the books but I didn´t like them as much as the movies.

The only thing I miss is the Scouring of the Shire.