Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm

[rant]

Is it just me, or is anyone else losing interest in the current fantasy and science-fiction franchises? I mean, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Twilight, Aliens, and their like were all wonderfully creative in their day, but aren't you getting tired of the same old tropes, plot twists, and characterizations in what were once cutting-edge cinematics?

For instance, I first read LotR, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion in about a year's time in the 5th and 6th grades (back in the late 1960s), endured the ridicule or reading "Fairy Tales" from my peers who were trying out for Little League, I sat through the complete Rankin-Bass animated treatment of LotR, and I just knew that the CGI "magic" from the first Star Wars movie would eventually be applied to LotR and make it practically come alive.

But now what? We're one movie away from completing the entire LotR story-arc, and it just doesn't seem interesting enough to even wait for the DVD.

Unless someone invents a working holodeck that features a full-immersion LotR world, I may never see another LotR movie, ever again.

[/rant]

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

I see that it's not just me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 12:17 am

Well, I enjoyed Prometheus for what it's worth.

However, I will admit I haven't felt that interested in The Hobbit. There is the possibility this is being stretched out into another Trilogy which seems a little ridiculous. Also, I heard The Hobbit had an absurd high def high frame rate. The downside of so much visual clarity is the make up will look like make up and you'll feel like you're watching a Renaissance Festival.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2013, 1:15 am

I feel the same way about literature, I've never liked vampires, and now there are like 10x more vampire novels out with the success of Twilight. I still find some fantasy/sci-fi interesting, but Doctor Who is about the only one I find fairly original and less synthesized.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 7:18 am

When I was a kid, I love fantasy and sci-fi. I just can't really get into them anymore. The genres have just gotten cheesy, and really, while I still like LotR (It's the pseudo-mythology style of Tolkien's writing that gets me), almost everything else is regurgitated story-arcs and bad writing. I can't geek out over it anymore.

And people need to grow up and stop buying everything that comes down the road with Star Wars stamped on it. Most of it isn't good. Almost all of it isn't canon It's a marketing scam. They know that people will buy it regardless of quality, so they churn out vanilla garbage. And even worse is when they try to make it "edgy" with the New Jedi Order. Frankly, I don't think I've liked a book series less than that one, even though everyone else seems to worship it.

The saddest part is that there is good, no, great sci-fi out there that people are ignoring, like Roadside Picnic. The ex-Soviet bloc has done brilliant work here. I know so many people who say they love sci-fi, but have never read anything by Arthur C. Clarke. Fantasy has no such salvation, sadly.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 8:32 am

Even comic books have had to "reboot" their story lines.

... grmbl ... grmbl ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 6:46 pm

Comic books have been rebooting since people realized that the continuity was becoming hopelessly snarled. Superman alone has had at least three reboots, aside from DC-wide "Crises" that rebooted the entire universe.

Meanwhile, Bored of the Rings was a freaking hilarious send-up of the trilogy, published in the Seventies sometime (don't recall exactly when) by the staff of the Harvard Lampoon. I highly recommend it, if you can find it (although if you're a young'un, you might have to find an old man like me to translate some of the ancient pop-culture gags...).

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 7:37 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Well, I enjoyed Prometheus for what it's worth.

However, I will admit I haven't felt that interested in The Hobbit. There is the possibility this is being stretched out into another Trilogy which seems a little ridiculous. Also, I heard The Hobbit had an absurd high def high frame rate. The downside of so much visual clarity is the make up will look like make up and you'll feel like you're watching a Renaissance Festival.

loved prometheus!
the hobbit was kind of boring? a little too much story building.