Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LongWaysAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2013, 7:41 am

I'd be a dynamo if I weren't so dang lazy. I'm one of those guys who builds muscle pretty easily. If I could somehow put together an Olympic set-up (you know, a lifting platform, set of bumper plates, etc.) in my garage I would have it made. I used to live just down the street from a weight room but now I can't get to one.

bear83
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2013, 8:33 am

Im 6ft 1 and weight 11stone (154 lbs).
I played sports all throughout my life and could never gain weight or build muscle no matter how hard I tried. I was always known as the skinny or scrawy one, both of which are descriptions I really hate.
Despite my low weight/muscle, I was always able to compete at an appropriate level in sport (e.g. the same level as my NT friends).
My entire immediate family suffer from overweight issues so my weight issues aren't genetic. Before my diagnosis, I often considered that I may have been adopted as I look and behave so different from the rest of my family, but learning about AS explained the different behaviour. Maybe it also explains the difference in size :D

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

03 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

Stoek wrote:
It has nothing to do with playing sports. IT's the 21st century most kids these days have a very inactive life.

I've played way more sports than most of my nt friends, it's not at all the cause.

It's body posture, which shouldn't come to no surprise.

Most aspies have severely under developed glutes, abs, chest, and tricep muscles.

It's a product of an awkward gate, and reduced integration of your muscular system. Muscular strength is in part a product of sensory interaction, so anyone with sensory integration will have issues with developing muscle tone. Most kinetic movements can be done with just a few muscle groups, but for peak development it's best to harness the strength of the full body.

Since this issue has come to my attention, I"ve been able to double my functional strength. With in a period of weeks, not months. Going to a gym it appears is absolutely crucial for aspies, it's by far the most effective reducer of anxiety, and the best way to prevent injury.

Anyhow I strongly suggest you look into some of the research of human factors engineering and ergonomics, as it's the best way to intellectually understanded an instinctual process(one we lack).

I agree with this. It's interesting how, for me, gaining visible muscle at the gym takes a mere few weeks rather than months. It must be because there is something killing it off in daily life, maybe posture, as you say.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:22 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Here we go with the "didn't play competitive sports as a child" nonsense. Or currently? How many NT's do? I've had all sorts of things blamed on that; it wasn't muscle tone, but there were other things, like poor driving skills and even test anxiety. :roll:

American NT macho males tend to use this phrase as a way to demean others in order to establish a social hierarchy.

If one actually thought about it sensibly, however, one would realize that what we do as children is highly unlikely to affect CURRENT muscle tone years or decades later. If you have bad muscle tone, decades after leaving childhood, it means either (1) it is genetic or (2) you're a couch potato. I seriously fail to see how what one did or did not do as a child has any effect on your body type decades into the future.

I did not play sports as a child probably more due to lack of verbal communication skills rather than to lack of muscle tone. And I think my current muscle tone is just fine.

I don't mean playing competitive sports as a child. What I really meant to say was that male Aspies tend to be less physically active in general , and I think that contributes to lower musculature(which is something I've observed in a lot of male Aspies, and others have as well, but I've not researched any studies on the matter).

Other contributing factors are probably awkward gait and posture, as Stoek mentioned. Of course, there's also the possibility that genetics play a direct role in the lower musculature, but I kind of doubt that.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm

UnLoser wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Here we go with the "didn't play competitive sports as a child" nonsense. Or currently? How many NT's do? I've had all sorts of things blamed on that; it wasn't muscle tone, but there were other things, like poor driving skills and even test anxiety. :roll:

American NT macho males tend to use this phrase as a way to demean others in order to establish a social hierarchy.

If one actually thought about it sensibly, however, one would realize that what we do as children is highly unlikely to affect CURRENT muscle tone years or decades later. If you have bad muscle tone, decades after leaving childhood, it means either (1) it is genetic or (2) you're a couch potato. I seriously fail to see how what one did or did not do as a child has any effect on your body type decades into the future.

I did not play sports as a child probably more due to lack of verbal communication skills rather than to lack of muscle tone. And I think my current muscle tone is just fine.

I don't mean playing competitive sports as a child. What I really meant to say was that male Aspies tend to be less physically active in general , and I think that contributes to lower musculature(which is something I've observed in a lot of male Aspies, and others have as well, but I've not researched any studies on the matter).

Other contributing factors are probably awkward gait and posture, as Stoek mentioned. Of course, there's also the possibility that genetics play a direct role in the lower musculature, but I kind of doubt that.

Is it possible that the disorder itself can play a role in terms of poor body composition, or gender atypical body composition? I mean, it seems like a lot of aspie women are wicked strong for their gender while the men (with many exceptions like myself :lol:) are, on average, more skinny and delicate for their gender.

I'm sure many aspies are less active, too. However, since the body composition starts in childhood, how much of the inactivity is a result rather than a cause of the poor body composition?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:35 pm

My nephew with AS has it. It's nothing to do with being inactive for him, nor has it anything to do with his size (he's big). It's definitely a potential physical defect.

I don't have it.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:55 pm

"Muscle tone" in this sense refers to how much tension one's muscles have when at rest. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how strong your muscles are or how much muscle mass you have.

Here's a good article explaining it: http://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.c ... -tone.html

I have high muscle tone. I had physiotherapy and occupational therapy for it when I was little.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 11:00 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
"Muscle tone" in this sense refers to how much tension one's muscles have when at rest. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how strong your muscles are or how much muscle mass you have.

Here's a good article explaining it: http://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.c ... -tone.html

I have high muscle tone. I had physiotherapy and occupational therapy for it when I was little.

Well, I have horrific fine motor skills but decent gross motor skills (kicking, punching, dancing, etc.). So not sure if I have good or bad muscle tone.

The example of the coffee it gave definitely sounds like me. I knock things over and spill things all the time.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 11:08 pm

I had my mother check such out, as the link from Who_Am_I posted shows that poor posture can be related (which is something I've always had).

She said I appear actually quite "loose" and "soft" when I'm at rest (arms and shoulders), much like how my nephew feels to touch.

So perhaps I do have it. I'll probably ask a doctor next time to confirm that.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 3:04 am

Tyri0n wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
I believe that the "low muscle tone" thing in reference to AS does not refer to musculature, but rather hypotonia, which is more of a neurological condition where your muscles do not automatically tense up as much as they should. However, low musculature also seems to be very common in males with AS. I think a large part of that is because AS males don't tend to play sports very much due to poor coordination and clumsiness.

If one actually thought about it sensibly, however, one would realize that what we do as children is highly unlikely to affect CURRENT muscle tone years or decades later...

Ah, we get to the root of it. The emotional hurt.

I agree that it's nonsensical to say not playing team sports affects driving ability and test taking skills. It doesn't. No argument.

But because you've had bad experience with the application of the theory, you seem hostile to ANY application of it whatsoever. And to say anyone who uses it is a "macho male" trying "to demean others in order to establish a social hierarchy" seems VERY dismissive. That's not what I am, and that's not my intention at all.

But what makes physical activity much more crucial in youth/adolescence is that's the time when the body is actively growing and developing. The extra testosterone release does indeed affect how the body matures. And the physical activity of building muscle mass at that time affects body sculpture in early adulthood.

You seem to be hostile to the theory in any application due to emotional hang-ups.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 6:01 am

I have low muscle tone. I didn't do any team sports, I was never invited to play. I did ride my bike for a while I always liked swimming, but the water is just too darn cold here. I can't seem to hold it out like the others do in this cold Atlantic ocean.

zonk39
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

Total and utter offensive BS. I'm a strong mesomorph. Even before I started strength training, or playing a lot of sport, I had great muscle tone. I had amazing physique for my age in year 7. In year 5 I had big arms and a six pack.
I think it just comes from the fact that team sports often appear intimidating and stressful to us. It is not genetically linked with AS.
To be honest, Two of the scariest, most muscular men I know claim to be on the spectrum. :wink:
Aspergers/autism does not directly make you an ectomorph or endomorph. Doing no exercise and abusing your body gives you bad muscle tone.
My body seems to stay quite muscular even in the times of my life where I am unhealthy. Last summer, I was on drugs, sleeping very little and not doing much exercise yet girls kept complimenting on my v-lines, back and pecs.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2014, 10:42 pm

I have had strong AS traits my whole life (all the typical aspergers ones and additional)

I also have dyspraxia, they went hand in hand for me. Low muscle tone is a symptom of dyspraxia. You must understand what "muscle tone" is to understand, as women wanting to "tone" their butts have hijacked and misappropriated the term.

What it means is the muscle is much less neurologically active. A honed and active nervous system is what makes one person who has the same weight and body proportions as another, be able to be much stronger. It is how a person can become stronger without putting on any additional muscle mass. Less nervous system activity means less muscle fibre recruitment and poor co-ordination of the recruitment and body movements too.

I was 16 years old the first time I successfully caught a ball. I could never stand still without losing balance, certainly not on one foot, my walking gait was unpredictable, slow and awkward.

I started weight training when I was about 24 and now at 29 it would be quite hard to tell I have dyspraxia unless you got me playing ball games which I still suck at, I also cannot jump high or jump rope. But my muscle tone and muscle mass is GOOD. I have excellent balance, can run at a decent pace, walking gait is efficient and 'normal' I can even dance!

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2014, 10:42 pm

Herman wrote:
I have had strong AS traits my whole life (all the typical aspergers ones and additional)

I also have dyspraxia, they went hand in hand for me. Low muscle tone is a symptom of dyspraxia. You must understand what "muscle tone" is to get it, as women wanting to "tone" their butts have hijacked and misappropriated the term.

What it means is the muscle is much less neurologically active. A honed and active nervous system is what makes one person who has the same weight and body proportions as another, be able to be much stronger. It is how a person can become stronger without putting on any additional muscle mass. Less nervous system activity means less muscle fibre recruitment and poor co-ordination of the recruitment and body movements too.

I was 16 years old the first time I successfully caught a ball. I could never stand still without losing balance, certainly not on one foot, my walking gait was unpredictable, slow and awkward.

I started weight training when I was about 24 and now at 29 it would be quite hard to tell I have dyspraxia unless you got me playing ball games which I still suck at, I also cannot jump high or jump rope. But my muscle tone and muscle mass is GOOD. I have excellent balance, can run at a decent pace, walking gait is efficient and 'normal' I can even dance!

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 12:23 am

zonk39 wrote:
Total and utter offensive BS. I'm a strong mesomorph. Even before I started strength training, or playing a lot of sport, I had great muscle tone. I had amazing physique for my age in year 7. In year 5 I had big arms and a six pack.
I think it just comes from the fact that team sports often appear intimidating and stressful to us. It is not genetically linked with AS.
To be honest, Two of the scariest, most muscular men I know claim to be on the spectrum. :wink:
Aspergers/autism does not directly make you an ectomorph or endomorph. Doing no exercise and abusing your body gives you bad muscle tone.
My body seems to stay quite muscular even in the times of my life where I am unhealthy. Last summer, I was on drugs, sleeping very little and not doing much exercise yet girls kept complimenting on my v-lines, back and pecs.

Or having a neuromuscular disorder or other medical condition that affects muscle tone.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2014, 1:07 am

I have low muscle tone. it is not about being week