Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2013, 9:59 am

I'm 14, and I have many Asperger's traits (my family refers openly to my territorial nature, my lack of diplomacy, my tendency to monologue, my large vocabulary, my tendency to correct people, my attention to detail, and my mother has called me "abnormally independent.)

My mother doesn't believe in getting a diagnosis unless the condition is causing serious problems (for autism and ADHD anyways.) She has said "everyone has their problems." Plus, my brother showed more severe traits of autism/Asperger's, so since my traits are more mild they don't really show up, and since I haven't really gone to public school... It's more a matter of "Abby, don't say _______ because _____" or "Abby, look at me when I'm talking to you" (which is replied to with a quick glance before returning to staring at their nose or whatever to feign eye contact.)

I'm also female, so apparently that's supposed to mean that my symptoms are less severe? My mother is always sending me into social situations (like paying for gas or picking up take-out) so that I can learn to do them.

Thoughts? Is there a possibility I'd qualify for a diagnosis?

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

There is a significant possibility, yes, but, do you think a diagnosis is necessary for you?

It sounds to me as though you are definitely on the spectrum, and that you are quite certain of that, so, unless you feel that you'd benefit from any specific support services, I personally agree with your mother.