Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Page:

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Something compact enough for transport it in a truck! (Or use it in a big spaceship. :D ) Of course, it's still only plan for it.

http://americansecurityproject.org/blog/2013/lockheed-martin-outlines-plans-for-nuclear-fusion-reactor/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Something compact enough for transport it in a truck! (Or use it in a big spaceship. :D ) Of course, it's still only plan for it.

http://americansecurityproject.org/blog/2013/lockheed-martin-outlines-plans-for-nuclear-fusion-reactor/

A cold fushion reacter that you can carry around in a briefcase?

Right!

April Fools was two days ago!

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Right!

Not cold fusion, millions Kelvin/Celsius hot fusion, and not compact to the point of being in a briefcase. Also, the article has been publishe the 20th february.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Quote:
In a presentation that seems ripped from the Atomic Age, Lockheed Skunkworks says it might be a decade away from producing a power plant based on compact fusion reactors.

Here's a clue: A workable hydrogen fusion reactor has being "ten years away" for over 50 years. It will likely be "ten years away" for at least another 50 years.

Something else: Two of the Mars probes were lost because someone at Lockheed-Martin could not or would not make the correct conversion between Imperial and Metric units of thrust, and the probes either slammed into the surface of Mars at maximum velocity, are on their merry way out of the Solar system, or blew themselves up.

Lockheed-Martin is not the kind of company that I would want to design a "High Beta" nuclear fusion reactor that could be carried around in a suitcase, especially since they made their announcement in the popular media first instead of a scientific peer-review journal.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

I do not think it will work, fusion reactors never seem to work ! From the discovery of nuclear fission to the first fission reactor took about ten years. While decades after the discovery of fusion (things like the Ivy Mike test) no one has worked out how to make a fusion machine which releases more energy from fusion than is put in to make the machine turn on.

The fusion people might hate me but I will say that I think that fusion reactors are perfect machines for flushing money down the drain.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
The fusion people might hate me but I will say that I think that fusion reactors are perfect machines for flushing money down the drain.

THAT is a sigworthy quote!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm

What is a sigworthy quote ?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
What is a sigworthy quote ?

I think he means a quote that is worthy of having as ones forum account signature.

My deviant art profile
-------------------------------------------------------
"We will never win the n*gger vote, the nig nogs will not vote for us" -Nigel Farage

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Tollorin wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Right!

Not cold fusion, millions Kelvin/Celsius hot fusion, and not compact to the point of being in a briefcase. Also, the article has been publishe the 20th february.

There is no verifiable case (as yet) of a working controlled fusion reactor that can put out more power than is necessary to crank it up.

Do you have a reference to this in a reputable engineering or physics journal?

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I do not think it will work, fusion reactors never seem to work .

The Sun works fine.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

what sort of energy would be required to power the electromagnetic plasma containment field?

If it requires a fission reactor then its a self defeating exercise.

My deviant art profile
-------------------------------------------------------
"We will never win the n*gger vote, the nig nogs will not vote for us" -Nigel Farage

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am

OK Ruveyn, you have a good point as the gravity confinement plasma machines such as SUN-1 do maintain a high fusion output. But I understand machine as being a man made device.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

ruveyn wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:
I do not think it will work, fusion reactors never seem to work .

The Sun works fine.

...until you try to put it in a box and make it do what you want.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 am

BlueMax wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The Sun works fine.

...until you try to put it in a box and make it do what you want.

If we get to the point where we can engineer a box around the sun, making it do what we want will be absolutely trivial in comparison. We'll say, "Sun, obey our commands! Keep shining!", and it will obey.

In fact, I can make the sun do that right now. "Sun, I command you to continue shining!" Hey, look, it worked! :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:21 am

Woodpecker wrote:
OK Ruveyn, you have a good point as the gravity confinement plasma machines such as SUN-1 do maintain a high fusion output. But I understand machine as being a man made device.

Gravity confinement can only occur in the presence of great mass. That CANNOT be simulated adequately even by a very fast turning centrifugal force device. The symmetry of centrifugal force is not correct for gravity confinement.

ruveyn

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Page: