SSRI's/St. John's Wort eliminating empathy

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2013, 4:22 pm

I think drugs change personality/ reactions/ behaviour/ perception a lot.

When I was on Zoloft/ Lexapro, people find me rather calm, tamed, nice, but slow.
When I was on Epilim, I get angry easily, became rude, but am able to think really fast -- very good grades in exams too.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

15 Apr 2013, 4:24 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:

When I was on Zoloft/ Lexapro, people find me rather calm, tamed, nice, but slow.
When I was on Epilim, I get angry easily, became rude, but am able to think really fast -- very good grades in exams too.

Actually, your experience on Epilim sounds like my experience on Zoloft. Lexapro just made me depressed. Zoloft worked very well but had awful side effects of aggressive, rude behaviors, hate towards humanity but also mental sharpness and top grades. It was one of the best things I could have taken my first year of law school from an academic, though not a social, standpoint.

Zoloft causes horrible weight gain. Lexapro/SJW cause weight loss.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2013, 4:46 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

Actually, your experience on Epilim sounds like my experience on Zoloft. Lexapro just made me depressed. Zoloft worked very well but had awful side effects of aggressive, rude behaviors, hate towards humanity but also mental sharpness and top grades. It was one of the best things I could have taken my first year of law school from an academic, though not a social, standpoint.

Zoloft causes horrible weight gain. Lexapro/SJW cause weight loss.

Wow, Zoloft didn't make me fat, but Epilim did.
Actually Invega was horrid-- it didn't help me with anything, but I gained 20kg in like a month-- that's monstrous considering that I was only 45kg before that Invega stupidity :oops:

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Those symptoms didn't happen't to me, but I can't tollerate St. Johns Worth or most SSRIs, because then I get the rare side effect: polymorphous light eruption and that's very heavy. 8O

But so far I read autism can also be -at least parrtly- cause by TOO MUCH serotonine in the brain. That could explain your symptoms you are experience. But even then you could still develop depression. This isn't just caused by too less serotonine. It can be also be caused by too less dopamine for example. So maybe an antidepressent who is more a dopamine and noradrenaline antagonist would be right for you. Have you tried that?
I'm taking agomeltanine (Valdoxan), who also works different. (Increases melatonin at night)

I only use natural substances now after a bad experience with prescription antidepressants. What would increase dopamine?

Tyrosine
But be also carefull with natural sublements. Eventhough it's less likely they can also cause side effects, like in my case with St. Johns Worth for example.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

I am currently taking St. John's Wort/Valerian for anxiety again. I had previously taken both in 2010 and I found that my increasing apathy made people like me more! Apparently I seem more approachable. I also wonder if they affect sex hormones because men seem to be drawn to me more when I am on these herbs. I have been taking them for two weeks this time around and I already notice that men notice me more.
I wonder if they make me seem less neurotic and I exhibit more open body language/seem more suggestible?