Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm

BlueMax wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Children don't pop out as formless clay ready to be molded into the proper shape. Parenting does have a lot of influence on a child's development, but no matter how hard you badger your kid into being the popular football star or whatever it's not going to happen if the natural inclination isn't there. You just end up with a resentful kid.
With all this parenting advice being tossed around, I would guess the most zealous advice would be from people with no children.

An excellent, excellent post. Anyone who's had a kid (especially more than one) will tell you they're BORN with personalities and traits... They can be influenced some, but you'll never totally change someone without doing pretty severe damage!

Still, I want to be able to teach both of my two very different boys the coping mechanisms they'll need to survive & thrive in this crazy world. ;)

:) Thank you and agreed.

The_Face_of_Boo- My comment wasn't meant to be belittling. I'm sure you've heard references before about the idealization of how parenting will be vs the reality after a couple kids.

Spiderpig Perhaps I did. I know you weren't being dismissive of females, but you seemed to be making an argument about men having to fight their "reptilian brains" to treat them in an equal manner. Hence the evolution comment. I will reread, and I apologize if I did indeed misread your post.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

mikassyna wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
And how do you get that and where in my listing imply enforcing modeling and shaping???!

I think maybe it was implied in this statement:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
if I had a boy and developed to an inadequate adult who's totally uninteresting, boring, weak and incapable to socialize, can't take responsibility and totally clueless how to court ladies (unless he's asexual and not interested) then I would be completely have failed my mission as a parent.

I think it is a parent's responsibility to try to teach those things. However, you can bring the horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Yes.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 12:50 pm

I'll reply directly to your post Boo on what I believe may have happened. I do know some girls like having their egos boosted so that they can feel desired by people other than who they are with or who they are interested in. Guys do it too. Everyone wants to feel desired at points and sometimes the respective partners aren't doing enough to give them that attention. Some may even go far enough to actually cheat because their might be an attraction for someone else. In the case of the third girl with the large headphones, she just wants to feel desirable. The first one is probably the most attracted to you. That is just my opinion.