Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 2:40 pm

Kinme wrote:
I'm not this type of person, and it disgusts me to see when others are fooled by these kind of people, male or female. I hate that people do this kind of crap.

I wouldn't call it fooling in all cases.

The explanation that applies to me is that I'm usually rejected by people (socially, not romantically or sexually – I don't even get that far). So when someone is actually friendly to me, I sometimes misunderstand that as flirting.

Nissanfan84
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
Kinme wrote:
So when someone is actually friendly to me, I sometimes misunderstand that as flirting.

I do that too.... :?

edit: and sometimes I view flirting as just being friendly and I have missed out on COUNTLESS relationships/hookups due to that, which is even more frustrating than the prior :oops:

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 2:59 pm

It looks like a lot of these women can't be that happy/sexually fulfilled in their relationships if they're feeling the need to flirt so heavily with other men.

Some may be bored in their relationships or they might just like the power trip of being able to get a man all hot and bothered

I don't relate to this type of woman - it's usually the ultra-feminine, really up themself, 'I can get any man I want' types who engage in this type of behaviour and it wouldn't happen if men didn't act like lapdogs when this type of woman clicked her fingers

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

Making others waste their time—i.e. their life—is kind of the very definition of power, regardless of context. No wonder it’s so enjoyable for those who practise it.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

Also, just because a person is engaged or married does not mean they are always just flirting. If the flirting continued it could well turn into a fling

That's the way these things work

I'm assuming the men on here want an unattached person though

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 3:24 pm

I'm clueless, myself so don't have much constructive to add.

Spiderpig wrote:
Making others waste their time—i.e. their life—is kind of the very definition of power, regardless of context. No wonder it’s so enjoyable for those who practise it.

Not to single you out, but your post seems to be a theme for some men, and my questions are meant the same. Why do men have such a feeling of victimization about women? How can a women (or anyone) make you do something? There are no guarantees or promises in life...taking a women to dinner doesn't mean she's cheating you out of sex if she demurs. I find this mindset very frightening, because there's no ownership there.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 3:46 pm

MCalavera wrote:
The saying "Men from Mars, Women from Venus" couldn't be any more true.

Try not to look at women as mere female versions of men. They typically have different brains from males and, therefore, different perspectives and values.

My theory is women generally value emotional bonding more than romantic and/or sexual bond. Whereas for men, it's the other way around.

That is why single women value platonic friendships with single men (and get devastated if a man they view as just a guy friend and whom they themselves rejected ends up ceasing contact with them) and can't understand why single men don't value the same thing as much.

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner. 8) I am not being sarcastic. You have correctly figured out what was actually going on in that exchange. I've been having exchanges like that all my life (as the woman) and you are 100% correct.

edited to add: I have never given a random man my phone number. But doing so was much less common in my day since cellphones hadn't been invented yet.

wester13

16 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

ok now that we have posted these situations the thing i would like to ask is well gentleman what we are gonna do about it??anyone here who has been in a relationship for more than two months?! !

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
Kinme wrote:
I'm not this type of person, and it disgusts me to see when others are fooled by these kind of people, male or female. I hate that people do this kind of crap.

I wouldn't call it fooling in all cases.

The explanation that applies to me is that I'm usually rejected by people (socially, not romantically or sexually – I don't even get that far). So when someone is actually friendly to me, I sometimes misunderstand that as flirting.

I guess it depends on the person and scenario.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 5:08 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Not to single you out, but your post seems to be a theme for some men, and my questions are meant the same. Why do men have such a feeling of victimization about women? How can a women (or anyone) make you do something? There are no guarantees or promises in life...taking a women to dinner doesn't mean she's cheating you out of sex if she demurs. I find this mindset very frightening, because there's no ownership there.

I never said which sex does it more often. I was talking in very general terms, and sure, unless someone physically coërces you to pay attention to them, it is you who enables them to waste your time, but I don’t think that makes it any less enjoyable for them—quite the opposite :)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 10:59 pm

Janissy wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
The saying "Men from Mars, Women from Venus" couldn't be any more true.

Try not to look at women as mere female versions of men. They typically have different brains from males and, therefore, different perspectives and values.

My theory is women generally value emotional bonding more than romantic and/or sexual bond. Whereas for men, it's the other way around.

That is why single women value platonic friendships with single men (and get devastated if a man they view as just a guy friend and whom they themselves rejected ends up ceasing contact with them) and can't understand why single men don't value the same thing as much.

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner. 8) I am not being sarcastic. You have correctly figured out what was actually going on in that exchange. I've been having exchanges like that all my life (as the woman) and you are 100% correct.

edited to add: I have never given a random man my phone number. But doing so was much less common in my day since cellphones hadn't been invented yet.

Thanks for your personal verification of what I had stated.

It's not even my own personal theory anyway and it's not just supported by anecdotes. There was a study conducted that showed that men were more bothered by the idea of their women having passionate sex with other men than the idea that they were emotionally close to other men. For women, it was the other way around.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 1:44 am

mikassyna wrote:
As a mother of two boys on the spectrum, I am at a loss how to even begin to teach them how to navigate the screwed up world of dating. It took me decades to figure it out myself. I'm not sure my husband is better equipped to teach him either, given he made some pretty epic mistakes of relationship choices in his life. It is so complicated it makes my head spin. Shouldn't it be so simple as saying: I like you, You like me, Let's boogey? Nope, too many people have too many hangups and agendas out there to keep it simple.

How autistic are your two boys? Are they the type that strangers in the room with them would notice there's something odd about them?

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 4:35 am

I see some signs but my usual approach to the situation is with the lack of tact, similar to using a crowbar to opening up a tin can instead of using small, complex yet very effective can opener.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 5:16 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
How autistic are your two boys? Are they the type that strangers in the room with them would notice there's something odd about them?

They were both dx'd with PDD-NOS. The older one went through intensive Early Intervention and the other one is mild PDD-NOS and is currently undergoing Early Intervention. Both of them you wouldn't necessarily know from looking at them that they are on the spectrum unless you knew what to look for. With the older one it comes out in his literal thinking, his special interests, sensory issues, difficulty with transitions, his inability to navigate in groups, sporadic eye contact/selective hearing, his inability to control/recover from his anger, and overstimulation at parties. His repetitive behaviors are much diminished and he can now make a back-and-forth conversation and makes much more eye contact than previously, and will even engage in pretend play which he didn't before. My youngest still has no speech, makes sporadic eye contact, has various sensory issues, gets overstimulated at parties and has repetitive behaviors. Both children are still very self-directed.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2013, 7:18 am

This is what I think:
Case 1 - thought you were gay (I've concluded this based on how quickly she was at ease in your presence and the touching, sharing of personal information etc that is not usual behaviour around hetro male-female relations imo)
Case 2 - probably utterly miserable in her marriage (hence no wedding ring and relishing your attention)
Case 3 - likely highly insecure (as is making a huge deal out of something that shouldn't be. Not talking to someone with headphones on is totally reasonable. I wish more people would take the hint [as I've had people try and talk to me - I mean weirdo's at bus stops etc -regardless of the headphones and it's really annoying).

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 7:21 am

periphery wrote:
This is what I think:
Case 1 - thought you were gay (I've concluded this based on how quickly she was at ease in your presence and the touching, sharing of personal information etc that is not usual behaviour around hetro male-female relations imo)
Case 2 - probably utterly miserable in her marriage (hence no wedding ring and relishing your attention)
Case 3 - likely highly insecure (as is making a huge deal out of something that shouldn't be. Not talking to someone with headphones on is totally reasonable. I wish more people would take the hint [as I've had people try and talk to me - I mean weirdo's at bus stops etc -regardless of the headphones and it's really annoying).

so normal people are allowed to bug other normal people when they have their earphones on? "oh just a quick question" :P