don't forget the premiere of 24 is tonight!

Page 16 of 18 [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 4:56 pm

For some reason I didn't mind the episode while I was watching it although it seems somewhat weaker now in retrospect.

After the ending of the last episode it would have been fun to keep the chase going but I guess...um... :? .

The uncovering of the leak was, in my opinion, very predictable. I thought it would be the generically hot blond and I was only slightly off. Since I expect to be surprised by 24 this is disappointing.

Unlike others I appear to be taking a liking to Vice President "Andy" from Red Dawn (Powers Booth). Again this largely because President David Palmer's little brother Wayne, who were all adored as a misbehaving prankster who broke the law and ended up getting people murdered, has much less stature then his big brother as an incompetent, bugling Commander in Chief.

At least his sister didn't show up though (although I liked Whalid).

The um...plot um...thing...with Audry coming back in uh...her state of mind...thing was... :roll: .

She comes back, OK. She's really screwed up. OK. They have to give her drugs that might kill her to make her normal. OK. Jack objects. OK, so he's screwed up too. But then Doyle backs Jack? What the heck?

Why is Doyle backing Jack? Okay, I guess earlier Jack "proved" himself "right" in TV-logic when Doyle interfered in his little adventure with the magic Russian nuclear chip (although if Jack never went in THE FIRST PLACE that situation wouldn't have occurred), and therefor Doyle is now "won over" to Jack's side.

Like Chloe. To be honest, this is something that is a bit annoying about 24. Chloe, OK, she's weird, so maybe she'll do what Jack tells her. Plus, in past seasons they did a more convincing job of having Jack win her over. But Doyle?. A big shot agent? Previously he has always followed the rules, the only case of bending them is declining to report some technical violating in regards to Milo (to bad because it would have been great to get him out of there). Is this regard he's the anti-Jack. Jack, in the past, has not been willing to let reports like that slide but boy has he been willing to "go rogue." I worry that Jack is starting to become like Captain Janeway in that we are suppose to view him almost some sort of idol character that is never wrong ever. This is something 24 really needs to avoid.

Jack's barracking himself with Audrey, and the sequence that followed I thought was anti-climatic. What really would have been dramatic is if she said nothing. Or if they barged in and shot Jack, and we had to wait till next week to find out that (of course) he survived. Or something really weird, like she attacks him. Instead, of course, she says something and the chase continues.

The end was a bit of a surprise, although not really a exciting surprise. Secretary of Defense Heller is a cool character from the past, although his survival in the last season was contrived. While his outburst to dramatic was not entirely unpredictable, it was well written, and perhaps the best material on the show. Not the usual way to an end episode but effective, none the less.

Other notes: I was happy when Morris refused to stay with Chloe. He needs to go away. I didn't dislike him at first, but this whole this whole "relationship" is screwing Chloe up, but then again I wonder where Chloe disappeared to...I hope nothing has happened to her (I don't know anything, don't spoil it!)

Nadia is so far looking good as head of CTU. Big shoes to fill, or well there were big shoes to fill before they paired Bill up with Frau Bill at the White House and made him less interesting.

Transition episode. Chinese are up to something! Next week looks more interesting.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 10:17 pm

yes, this episode was awful...i saw the blond betraying daniels a mile away. i'm glad that milo is going away/dealing with all of his affairs. now all he needs to do is get struck by lightning...

i liked the ending though. i could have sworn that jack was about to shed a tear when he told him to stay away from his daughter.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:34 pm

Yay! Milo's dead!

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:48 pm

Dude, CTU has GOT to get a better security system.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:42 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Dude, CTU has GOT to get a better security system.
Actually, they intentionally let security be lax in order to lure terrorists to CTU. Once there, CTU lets Jack loose so he can "feed."

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:58 pm

Oh, yes, how completely foolish of me to forget that.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:19 pm

Question: if Milo hadn't stood up and claimed to be CTU director, and Nadia stood up instead, and got killed, would that mean that Milo would have had to step in as Doyle's love interest?

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:27 pm

with that hair of his...yeah, i'd say milo's a little gay. doyle on the other hand...

i didn't watch the episode because i was finishing my term paper but...*claps gleefully and jumps around until i run into a wall*

ow...oh, right, my dad informed me on everything that happened and... milo's dead!

ha ha ha hee hee hee!! !

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:29 pm

Milo may not have been the best actor, but he sure looked hot in that CTU shirt.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 3:33 pm

OK. I saw the episode last night, but it was at a busy house with a toddler who had super energy bonus X5 of not having his pants on. Thus, I was somewhat distracted. I will watch again on MySpace Fox thingy and report in.

Early impressions: Should have been better.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 4:17 pm

Okay, I don't feel like watching it again.

First, I thought Chen's name was Chang. That really doesn't have anything to do with anything though.

Zephram Cochrane, inventor of the Warp Drive, has his named mentioned in the credits so his appearance as Jack's father later is not a shock to regular viewers.

There were several subplots in this episode, only one of which really managed to keep me interested at least somewhat steadily.

Plot 1 (the interesting one): The Chinese guys (although Chen's buddy doesn't look Chinese) plot and then proceed with an operation to attack CTU from below. However, first the question is will they get away (yes) before Doyle uselessly does nothing at the Copper whatever. They disable CTU's connections with the outside world in what I thought was honestly a pretty confusing sequence, and then broke in mind bogglingly easily CTU (a single grate) through the Sewer system. Then they kill only two or three guards that budget cuts the Palmer administration rather oddly apparently forced onto CTU.

The death of Milo was...well I was happy since I hated Milo. The creators should keep in mind when then kill off characters (like Edgar) they have to replace them with characters that are, um...like interesting. He did die in a predictable but brave fashion.

Jack then gets a pistol from the token Black guard (I wish he had lived a little longer), and then kills like a hundred bad guys, and then he gets a machine gun and kills a hundred more. Blah, blah, blah family.

At the end, I thought it would have been surprising if the bad guys had killed Mrs. Bauer, or Jack's dad had ordered Mrs. Bauer. Maybe it's coming later. Don't go soft on me 24.

2. The Russian spy was lame. It actually is partially based on a plot they had in season 1, but that was better done. It was stupid how they had the Chief of Staff in the car. Oh, but they are trying to keep the operation "really small." Was the President the driver? Lame.

3. Relationship Soap Opera: CTU. Ugh...I thought that Bald Man was going to go away a few episodes ago. Darn it! Now more of this whining between him and Chloe. GO AWAY!! ! And this stuff now about Doyle and Nadia. WTF? These are suppose to be regular people. This is a 24 hour period!

2:00PM.
Bob: Oh, Janet, I love you so much!
Janet: Oh, Bob!

4:00PM
Bob: Janet, I understand why you seem to love Steve.
Janet: Oh, I don't know...it's been such a long day.

...The end didn't hugely impress me although I suppose part of that was knowing that Jack's dad was about to pop up. Also, the fact he just inquired about his son was not totally awesome. It would have been better if he said after that, "Also, do you have the real David Palmer with you that didn't really die and is in fact evil."

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 4:22 pm

I concur, Jimservo.

And I think that the 24 writers are falling into the trap of Idiot TV, namely, if we can't write really good stuff that drew the fans in the first place, we will try to add more sex because THAT is what 24 is REALLY about. S-E-X. Not J-A-C-K. [sigh] Oh well. It was a fun run while it lasted. Five years of greatness isn't so terrible...

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:12 pm

OK...normally my posts are filled with lots of complaints. That hasn't been that hard, but fortunately/sadly, this episode wasn't too bad.

I would have liked to know a little more behind the thinking of the Chinese. Cheng (another name correction) used to be this embassy guy but then he was lugging around Jack Bauer, and now he is ordering this commando special ops team. What's the deal? Also, isn't this kinda thing going to completely screw up relations with the US? Or is Cheng not "officially" representing the Chinese government? Not a biggie or anything.

Oh course the hostage takers let Jack live. You would think they would have learned by now, but no. I can't really blame the writers for that though.

The combat scene was cool.

Nadia's not as tough as she was earlier. Then again, she was semi-tortured earlier in the day and she semi-was in love with Milo. Her seem with Bald Guy reminds me he wasn't so annoying before the stupid relationship thing the writers started doing to waste time.

OK, Jack and Doyle are going after the bad guys. Seems to be getting cool.

I liked the way Cheng told Blond Kid that Jack's dad was on the phone. He said in an overly delightful manner.

Jack's Dad: Don't you realize the incredible opportunity being kidnapped and forced to go to China is?

Cheng says that Jack's dad is visionary, like Mao.

Chinese try to get away! GUN FIGHT! Oh, no, the commies are using blond kid as a shield! Where is Macarthur when you need him? Jack does awesome killing and gives chase.

Action drama...

Kid takes off, Cheng follows, Jack follows, Jack stops Cheng, Jack sees kid, Chen vanishes, Jack saves kid. (It was all more dramatic on screen).

Oh hooray, we go to super dramatic White House plot (it actually wasn't too bad, I only wish I hadn't watched the preview and hence new was going to happen)

Russians are mad. Bad guy realizes Blond Chick is up to no good. Blah blah blah. But it works. Oh, but it doesn't. But we are not surprised because we caught the preview last week. The Russians know the Chinese still have the chip. OH NO!! ! It was still better then last week.

Vice President Whatever, apparently on some kind of sleep medication, whines about how it is all his fault, blah blah blah. They have to choose to do something dramatic after Jack's dad does something dramatic and admittedly I didn't guess the particular thing he would do until he phoned the White House. The final scene was less dramatic then I was expecting, although I guess since I was expecting something dramatic rather then predictable...

but anyway not bad not great but a pretty good action filled (in the first 3/5) episode.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 9:53 pm

So, Milo falls to the floor and dies. Chloe falls to the floor and comes up pregnant. Is her baby going to come out with a horse face and a pierced ear? ;)

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 9:55 pm

I am very disappointed in this season. Very, very, very disappointed.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 10:00 pm

dexkaden wrote:
I am very disappointed in this season. Very, very, very disappointed.
Don't beat around the bush like that. Just say what you really feel. ;)