What are signs & symptoms of Aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

adetokunbo76
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Apr 2013, 7:52 pm

Thanks everyone who's posted, thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions. It really means a lot. It's good to get answers and connect with individuals that are knowledgeable on the subject and can lend a helpful suggestion. I look forward to asking many more questions and being an active part of this community.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2013, 10:30 pm

Whether your boyfriend has AS or not, he is not going to change unless he wants to and it seems he is not ready to address what you see as issues now. If you love him, you have to learn to accept him for what he is, irrespective of any diagnosis. You could try the exercise suggested, writing down an analysis of issues but at the end of they day, learning to understand his way of thinking and learning how to cope with this is the only way forward. I hope you are able to work things out.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 2:10 am

adetokunbo76 wrote:
Example: It once took him 5 hours to make 3 cheese macaroni. The first few hours was just prep time. In the past when we've tried to cook together, if I deviate from the recipe at all he shuts down and is unable to complete his task. Because he can't comprehend how to continue because the order of operations is now messed up.

I am quite obsessed with cooking yet can't cook. I must own around 25-30 cook books yet can't use them

My gf can do things ad hoc, she thinks freely and just makes up recipe's as she goes along chopping and changing things until they are good for her. I have to follow the instructions word for word and cannot deviate from them at all sometimes taking hours to prep something to get it right. Almost always though there is something in the instruction that makes no sense to how I think it should or something small happens that isn't in the instruction and I have a meltdown over it and pack everything away.

quite embarrassing really, though the end result is take away so not all bad! :lol:

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:16 am

adetokunbo76 wrote:
xMistrox wrote:
The hard thing is that while NT people have a hard time telling what an ASD person is feeling/thinking, it is also the same the other way around.

What does NT mean?

Neurotypical or simply put "normal".

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:29 am

Sounds like an aspie alright. But, how did he manage to get a girlfriend? Is he like really good looking or rich? :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:50 am

Quote:
What are signs & symptoms of Aspergers?

it is impossible i believe to extricate the elements of AS from my personality in order to feel N.T

i do not know what "NT" is, and i can not therefore calculate my mental distance from them.
it takes a very complicated recipe of desires to wind up unearthing a person with AS.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2013, 2:40 pm

adetokunbo76 wrote:
Cuckooflower wrote:
He sounds a definite Aspie to me.

Would he be open to a kind suggestion, and then possible help if he needs it (sounds like it may benefit him a little bit).

You are a good, caring girlfriend. It's nice to see actually. We Aspies need our allies, believe me!!

Boyfriend, actually. Lol!

Oh okay, apologies! Sorry did not mean to assume! The same still stands true :)

adetokunbo76
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2013, 3:35 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
adetokunbo76 wrote:
xMistrox wrote:
The hard thing is that while NT people have a hard time telling what an ASD person is feeling/thinking, it is also the same the other way around.

What does NT mean?

Neurotypical or simply put "normal".

Thanks for the explanation.

adetokunbo76
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

Cuckooflower wrote:
adetokunbo76 wrote:
Cuckooflower wrote:

Would he be open to a kind suggestion, and then possible help if he needs it (sounds like it may benefit him a little bit).

You are a good, caring girlfriend. It's nice to see actually. We Aspies need our allies, believe me!!

No worries, bro! :)

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2013, 6:55 pm

adetokunbo76 wrote:
Cuckooflower wrote:
adetokunbo76 wrote:
Cuckooflower wrote:

No worries, bro! :)

Lol, well, I'm a girl :wink: 8)

adetokunbo76
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

Is there a legitimate test on the net the that someone could take to maybe have an idea if they're AS or not?

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2013, 4:36 pm

Probably the most legimate tests/screenings are the AAA and RAADS-R. I'd suggest you to administer them to him, the AAA has a part where a relative should answer for childhood symptoms as well.

With the RAADS-R it is located here: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php and gives a chart for comparisons to NT, Suspected, and Diagnosed for both males and females at the end. Essentially the choices are: Always True, Only True as an Adult, Only True as a Child or Teen, and False.

The AAA is a small battery of tests (tabbed at the bottom), it is available for download here: http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests as an excel file. There are other tests on that site that could be helpful.

The Aspie Quiz isn't a legitimate screening type test, but it is a questionaire full of Aspie traits. If he scored high on it, it would be likely, but it has no standing other than that. http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php . There are other possible indicative tests in this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt113459.html

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

adetokunbo76
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2013, 9:26 pm

xMistrox wrote:
Probably the most legimate tests/screenings are the AAA and RAADS-R. I'd suggest you to administer them to him, the AAA has a part where a relative should answer for childhood symptoms as well.

With the RAADS-R it is located here: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php and gives a chart for comparisons to NT, Suspected, and Diagnosed for both males and females at the end. Essentially the choices are: Always True, Only True as an Adult, Only True as a Child or Teen, and False.

The AAA is a small battery of tests (tabbed at the bottom), it is available for download here: http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests as an excel file. There are other tests on that site that could be helpful.

The Aspie Quiz isn't a legitimate screening type test, but it is a questionaire full of Aspie traits. If he scored high on it, it would be likely, but it has no standing other than that. http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php . There are other possible indicative tests in this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt113459.html

Many thanks!