New Feminism Movement and Hipsters?



Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Posts: 660

08 May 2013, 10:59 pm

This is just a question as I don't know the complete history of the Feminism movement, though I took a Women's History course at Uni.

I know Feminism isn't something new, but it seems that with the emergence of the recent hipster movement, it's pretty much exploded, and many hipsters that I know are armchair feminists.

Is there a correlation between hipsters and the recent Feminist movement? I am very curious.

This is not the thread to debate Feminism itself; there are PLENTY of other threads for that, I just want to know if these two things are related.



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 10, 2007
Posts: 6089
Location: Arizona

08 May 2013, 11:26 pm

What is this hipster movement? Rich kids that like to wear scarfs, tight pants, and listen to mediocre boring music?



arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Posts: 1414
Location: Midwest

09 May 2013, 7:32 am

Feminism has been part of the avant garde for a hundred years. Mainstream women might not identify with that label as much as they did during the 1970s but women in most liberal-aligned subcultures still do. Perhaps it's just your current engagement with the hipster scene that is bringing this to your consciousness?



YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 26, 2011
Posts: 2584

09 May 2013, 8:57 am

Quote:
What is this hipster movement? Rich kids that like to wear scarfs, tight pants, and listen to mediocre boring music?


Yes. :D



kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Posts: 660

09 May 2013, 9:53 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Feminism has been part of the avant garde for a hundred years. Mainstream women might not identify with that label as much as they did during the 1970s but women in most liberal-aligned subcultures still do. Perhaps it's just your current engagement with the hipster scene that is bringing this to your consciousness?


No, I do not engage in the hipster scene. I find it disgusting and it's just kind of blown up in my city. I wouldn't qualify as one anyways because I don't own a MacBook. :lol:



ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2012
Posts: 8800

09 May 2013, 10:03 am

kouzoku wrote:
I wouldn't qualify as one anyways because I don't own a MacBook. :lol:



Whooaaa!! ! Go get yourself a MacBook!

(just kidding. I don't own one, either. And, I don't know what a hipster is these days).



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 18778
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

09 May 2013, 10:08 am

I can't say I really know any, but I didn't really have the impression the two where related in any way...not really sure what exactly a hipster is I have heard a lot of different definitions.


_________________
Winter is coming.


kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Posts: 660

09 May 2013, 11:25 am

Where I live, a typical hipster listens to indie music, grows either a beard or curly retro mustache, has the big black glasses, wears clothes that are meant to look retro, but actually cost a lot of money. Skinny jeans seem to be a requirement. There seem to be different types of hipster, too. There are more "natural types" that wear flannel shirts and t-shirts and then the the type that is trying to look sophisticated and wears cardigans, scarves, etc. The girls all seem to be wearing stuff from the 80s, at least it appears that way to me, but with flower patterns and stuff. A lot of the girls wear bright red lipstick for some reason. Most of them have only Apple computers and scoff at anything else. Contrary to what they want you to believe, most hipsters do NOT have jobs as writers and artists. They claim to be "non-mainstream" when it is actually a very mainstream movement.

That's all fine; it doesn't really harm anyone, but the thing that bugs me about hipsters is their fake philosophical-organic-philanthropy-love-the-earth-I'm-an-artist attitude. They don't really get philosophy and you won't get very far if you actually try to have a philosophical conversation with one of them. Same with their obsession with everything organic and earth-friendly. It's not real; it's all for show; for bragging rights with other hipsters. "I rode my retro bike to work, did YOU?" The closest many of them come to doing any art is posting photos on Instagram.

They are the ultimate poseurs.

They will move on to something new in the next few years.



ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2012
Posts: 8800

09 May 2013, 11:55 am

kouzoku wrote:
Where I live, a typical hipster listens to indie music,

I'm so indie that I make my own music, and don't listen to indie.

kouzoku wrote:
grows either a beard or curly retro mustache,

Check, although my moustache isn't curly.

kouzoku wrote:
has the big black glasses,

Aw. I had those when I was a kid. Now I wear round wireframes.

kouzoku wrote:
wears clothes that are meant to look retro, but actually cost a lot of money.

My clothes may look retro, but I shop at thrift stores.

kouzoku wrote:
Skinny jeans seem to be a requirement.

Not me.

kouzoku wrote:
There seem to be different types of hipster, too. There are more "natural types" that wear flannel shirts and t-shirts and then the the type that is trying to look sophisticated and wears cardigans, scarves, etc.

I wear flannel shirts. Count me as a "natural type."

kouzoku wrote:
Most of them have only Apple computers and scoff at anything else.

Far be it from me to scoff at a computer.

kouzoku wrote:
Contrary to what they want you to believe, most hipsters do NOT have jobs as writers and artists. They claim to be "non-mainstream" when it is actually a very mainstream movement.

I would consider myself to be as close to "non-mainstream" as one can get without actually living in a cave.

kouzoku wrote:
That's all fine; it doesn't really harm anyone, but the thing that bugs me about hipsters is their fake philosophical-organic-philanthropy-love-the-earth-I'm-an-artist attitude. They don't really get philosophy and you won't get very far if you actually try to have a philosophical conversation with one of them. Same with their obsession with everything organic and earth-friendly. It's not real; it's all for show; for bragging rights with other hipsters. "I rode my retro bike to work, did YOU?" The closest many of them come to doing any art is posting photos on Instagram.

They are the ultimate poseurs.

They will move on to something new in the next few years.

Well, I might be a poseur, but I don't see myself moving on to something new in the foreseeable future.



kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Posts: 660

09 May 2013, 12:06 pm

Are you a hipster or making fun of them or saying you are the "true" hipster? I don't understand what you're saying. :oops:



ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2012
Posts: 8800

09 May 2013, 12:15 pm

I must be the real thing, and people are just trying to emulate me.



kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Posts: 660

09 May 2013, 12:27 pm

LOL that might be true!

I was asking a few people how the current hipster scene started and that's basically the idea; a bunch of sheeple tried to copy a few people who were actually the real deal because they wanted to appear "non-mainstream". Voila, instant fad spread like wildfire.

You're a trendsetter! 8)



ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 30, 2012
Posts: 8800

09 May 2013, 1:12 pm

8)

Maybe some of us just stay the way we are and do our own things, and fashions eventually cycle through to what we are. I'll very soon be out of fashion again.



OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Posts: 9620

09 May 2013, 5:18 pm

Whats an armchair feminist? That implies that to be a feminist you have to actually go do something. Feminism is a philosophy, you just have to believe it to be a feminist.

I don't think hipsters really have much to do with feminism anyway. Being a hipster is all about a style and a look and a lifestyle, not so much about the meaning behind it. That's my opinion anyway.

As for feminism, what ticks me off about it is how many feminists do not support all choices. I'll make a thread about that though so this one isn't hijacked.


_________________
Menopause is just God's little joke, because getting old just isn't bad enough all by itself.


0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 05, 2007
Posts: 8726
Location: London

09 May 2013, 5:22 pm

hipster is nothing new even the word is recycled.


_________________
Nobody's mom


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next



 Similar Topics 
Sex Positive feminism vs anti pornography feminism!

in Politics, Philosophy, and Religion

19 Mar 2014, 1:24 pm

ArrantPariah View the latest post

feminism=/=radical feminism

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Women's Discussion

23 May 2014, 1:48 am

CommanderKeen View the latest post

Hipsters

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Random Discussion

28 May 2011, 5:27 am

Tim_Tex View the latest post

Hipsters

in Random Discussion

01 Jan 2009, 1:24 am

Spokane_Girl View the latest post



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: