Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 5:34 pm

The hipster world is totally alien to me and I'm a feminist.

I fall naturally onto the edges of society and I am quite creative but most hipsters won't give me the time of day because I'm not 'cool' enough. That's okay with me, I can't be bothered with hipsters.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:18 pm

Armchair feminists are like armchair anything; they sit around and talk about something they know little about and try to sound like experts. The fact that they know so little and are doing nothing proves the point.

I think I said the RECENCT hipster movement. If not, that is what I mean.

Maybe it's just the hipsters in my city. I realize that even trendy groups can be different, depending on the city and such. Hipsters aren't really all about fashion, they also cling to a lot of "ideas" in a fashionable and shallow way (like recycling or buying all organic food). Feminism seems to be one of them.

Hmm... maybe they are just riding the coattails of feminism in their ongoing critique of the universe. Since they are trendy, it would kind of bring feminism more into view, does that make sense? But they really have nothing directly to do with it. That seems to make sense.

I really don't know any history regarding popular social culture to put them into a context.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:15 pm

Yes, there is a correlation. Both tend to frequent or move to heavily urbanized, central city type environments or university towns. The places were more progressive and laissez faire social mores prevail.

boywonder
Raven
Raven

10 May 2013, 3:30 am

Why disenfranchise your support?
Hipsters like to support many things, including freedom for battery chickens
Love your hipster, love their superficial understanding of all things coolness, peace dude