Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 7:58 am

Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
In order to get to know someone's personality you have to talk to them first. People usually approach a stranger based on looks. So, without some amount of good looks, even the best personality won't be all that much help.

Oh no, all the people without your good looks had better jump off the nearest cliff then - they're doomed!

... just... wow...

I thought nessa was just being silly. Silly me. P. S. I tend to avoid good-looking people. I am biased against them. Don't think they're stupid or shallow, but intimidating.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:11 am

Mindsigh wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
In order to get to know someone's personality you have to talk to them first. People usually approach a stranger based on looks. So, without some amount of good looks, even the best personality won't be all that much help.

Oh no, all the people without your good looks had better jump off the nearest cliff then - they're doomed!

... just... wow...

I thought nessa was just being silly. Silly me. P. S. I tend to avoid good-looking people. I am biased against them. Don't think they're stupid or shallow, but intimidating.

Correct, it was a sarcastic joke

I'm not overly attractive yet I've often had people approach me to ask where places are, if I'll take their photo for them and once even if I'd speak to a girl on their phone for them

People have also started talking to me on buses and trains too - sometimes people just want to pass the time of day with another human being - it's not always about sexual attractiveness; sometimes it's just about whether you look open and receptive to conversation

Looks fade anyway so people who think looks are the only thing causing people to take notice of them are in for a rude awakening when they lose them aren't they?

I agree with Mindsigh too; overly attractive people intimidate me as well and I wouldn't tend to approach them automatically for the very fact that they'd probably think I only did it due to their looks and I hate people having such conceited ideas - no way am I going to confirm them in their arrogance!

A down to earth, friendly-looking person would always be my preference to talk to over a good looker any day

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:47 am

See? I just heard on the news that Angelina Jolie just had a double mastectomy and Brad still thinks she's beautiful even though they're fake. I mean the breasts, not them as a couple. Don't know about her personality though.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:50 am

Mindsigh wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

... just... wow...

With the aggressive nature of her communications on other places on the board, it did not seem to be the case to me. However, I expect a certain amount of constancy. Since word choice and tone had not changed from previous encounters, I had no way to know this was intended as silly, as opposed to the other ways she has communicated.

Inclusion of emoticons or tags such as /sarcasm /joke, etc... would make intent far more clear and prevent others from assuming that one is to be taken at their word, but in other threads, she has declared that she has no need of declarations like that.

Her statement (I know for a fact) was taken in a way she did not intend by more than I or OOM.

For the record... I don't get intimidated... except by something bigger than I... standing 6'9" and weighing in at 300 pounds it is rare... My friend Theo (Big Tiny from the walking dead)... is intimidating.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:54 am

Moon Martin wrote:
"A pretty face don't make no pretty heart. I learned that buddy, from the start."

Johnny Rivers wrote:
"Beware of pretty faces that you find; A pretty face can hide an evil mind ... Oh no, you let the wrong word slip, while kissing persuasive lips. The odds are you won't live to see tomorrow."

Yup! That about sums it all up!

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:05 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

... just... wow...

With the aggressive nature of her communications on other places on the board, it did not seem to be the case to me. However, I expect a certain amount of constancy. Since word choice and tone had not changed from previous encounters, I had no way to know this was intended as silly, as opposed to the other ways she has communicated.

Inclusion of emoticons or tags such as /sarcasm /joke, etc... would make intent far more clear and prevent others from assuming that one is to be taken at their word, but in other threads, she has declared that she has no need of declarations like that.

Her statement (I know for a fact) was taken in a way she did not intend by more than I or OOM.

For the record... I don't get intimidated... except by something bigger than I... standing 6'9" and weighing in at 300 pounds it is rare... My friend Theo (Big Tiny from the walking dead)... is intimidating.

Yes, I bet you made sure of it

I can't cater for your lack of a sense of humour or peoples' desire to form cliques with others to make complaints about me behind my back rather than on the open forum where I can defend myself

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:22 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

... just... wow...

Please avoid going into personal attacks(bolded).

You may attack an idea and you can criticize a post but attacking the person behind it is unacceptable and it is stated as such on the rules.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt73835.html
Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:34 pm

nessa238 wrote:

Yes, I bet you made sure of it

I can't cater for your lack of a sense of humour or peoples' desire to form cliques with others to make complaints about me behind my back rather than on the open forum where I can defend myself

Nessa... IF people were discussing your words behind your back, in an attempt to make sense of it all... That is their right. We are allowed to have out own opinions and we don't have to share them with everyone... You know what they say, "Discretion is the greater part of Valor. FOR THE RECORD, HOWEVER: NOTHING has been said to me where you have not seen it. I made an observation based on your interactions on this board and the reactions of people to your words. Period. End of Topic.

I have a sense of humor... And i can see, if we were made aware that your statement was humor, I can see how it was funny... but you didn't do that. You will make statements that others consider offensive, insulting or the like and end up getting misunderstood, constantly... And then you complain that you are misunderstood, constantly...

Either you want to communicate (i.e. express your thoughts and make yourself understood) or you don't. Your constant statements of refusal to adhere to simple conventions (i.e. netiquette, for instance or further explanation when you are obviously not getting your thoughts across), comes across as trolling. I know that is not the intent, but that is the impression that is taken away.

The following statements - you will probably find insulting, but that is not, at all my intent. It is my sincere hope that you will take this to heart, as it will make life a great deal easier in the future. You have viewed my words as an attack, when I have only been trying to help you.

Telling people that if they don't understand you, you refuse to make yourself clearer and that they are not intelligent enough to grasp what you are saying results in two things - 1) You come across to everyone who reads it as condescending and arrogant and 2) you directly insult the person that you are talking to. It is obvious that you want to communicate, or else you wouldn't be here... but if you are constantly having to make statements like that, you are not succeeding in your goal of communication. The burden of understanding falls upon the person communicating the ideas.

You have, directly and indirectly, insulted my intelligence on a few occasions, making it clear that you felt I was below you in intelligence and skill... I do not cite my IQ, ever... but I do know that it is unlikely that I fit into the cubbyhole you have placed me in. I will, however, cite my work... I make a living writing... I have taken awards for articles and prose... I also make movies... My scripts have taken awards... I am not stating this as a form of bragging but to illustrate that I make a living communicating via the written word. As an author... there are times where I have been angry, pissed off and borderline screaming at editors because something in my work was clear as day to me... but not to everyone else. Just because you understand what you write... doesn't mean that anyone else will...

Please take my words to heart when I tell you that if more than one person is responding to your words in a way that shows they don't understand the source material, the source material may need to be reworded. No one here wants to attack you... but your word choice when their opinion does not line up with yours or they misinterpret something you have said makes people feel as if you are calling them idiots... I've watched you do it to several people aside from myself and the people you are doing this to, are far from stupid.

If you are unwilling, as you have stated, to make yourself better understood, then you need to be ready for rejection... because no one here wants an irrational, insulting or arrogant conversation.

As previously stated... none of this is an attack. It is honest advice in an attempt to help you fit in here. Take it or leave it.

P.S. People here will readily accept you if you don't appear to be blasting them every time you talk

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:50 pm

Will Rogers wrote:
"When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:58 pm

Fnord: trust me... this was my last attempt... if it's a latrine i've dug, I have no interest in staying in it.

Wrongbilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 1:28 pm

[/quote]

With the aggressive nature of her communications on other places on the board, it did not seem to be the case to me. However, I expect a certain amount of constancy. Since word choice and tone had not changed from previous encounters, I had no way to know this was intended as silly, as opposed to the other ways she has communicated.[/quote]

Are members really that stupid that they can`t see something that is written as sarcasm?? Does it really not enter your head that from Nessas` previous posts if she really thought this as being literal she would already have jumped off a cliff and not be here to post at all?? I think there are a lot of petty minded posters who have nothing to say, except making attacks on other members.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 1:57 pm

Wrongbilly wrote:

With the aggressive nature of her communications on other places on the board, it did not seem to be the case to me. However, I expect a certain amount of constancy. Since word choice and tone had not changed from previous encounters, I had no way to know this was intended as silly, as opposed to the other ways she has communicated.[/quote]

Are members really that stupid that they can`t see something that is written as sarcasm?? Does it really not enter your head that from Nessas` previous posts if she really thought this as being literal she would already have jumped off a cliff and not be here to post at all?? I think there are a lot of petty minded posters who have nothing to say, except making attacks on other members.[/quote]

Please go back and read my statement. It was not an attack. At all. It was an attempt to facilitate communication - I stated that clearly, and meant exactly what I said.

In other threads Nessa has stated that she means exactly what she says, nothing more, nothing less. Therefore, she is taken literally by the people that have read those threads... HOWEVER... sarcasm on the internet, if not denoted with signs that it is intended as such, is often misinterpreted by NTs and ESPECIALLY by Aspies...

For the record... taking people at face value, not catching the sarcasm that others use... especially in a written form with no notation to indicate sarcasm... is one of the things that Aspies are noted for. (incoming sarcasm) I am terribly sorry that i am stereotypical in my Aspiness on this. (/sarcasm)... you got that it was sarcasm... I HONESTLY applaud you for that... it was clear that OOM didn't...

I urge you to go read some of the other threads where this has been an issue, and I believe you will see where there was a misunderstanding as to intent.

That being said...I will Reiterate the fact that it wasn't an attack, but an HONEST attempt to facilitate understanding... (not sarcasm) but I think I'm done with that since I can't expect people to take my words at face value...

Addendum... Rest assured... if I am going to ATTACK anyone...it's not going to be on a public forum in violation of TOS and disrespecting all on the forum... it will be in private, to that person and that person only. And you can bet on it being far less civil...

P.S. Literal... does not mean petty.

Wrongbilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Nessa... IF people were discussing your words behind your back, in an attempt to make sense of it all... That is their right. We are allowed to have out own opinions and we don't have to share them with everyone... You know what they say, "Discretion is the greater part of Valor. FOR THE RECORD, HOWEVER: NOTHING has been said to me where you have not seen it. I made an observation based on your interactions on this board and the reactions of people to your words. Period. End of Topic.

To use another members name in your post is an attack on that member.

Adendum, you sound obnoxious.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 2:19 pm

Wrongbilly wrote:

No... it is not.

I am sorry you feel that way. I work hard to make myself understood, if that makes me obnoxious, so be it. If you don't like how I post, you can ignore me as I intend to do with >>>NAME REDACTED TO REDUCE IMPRESSION OF ATTACK<<< and yourself.

No ill will, but I have no time or room in my life for people that will purposely argue a point when I have stated that my intention is otherwise...

Wrongbilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 2:25 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Wrongbilly wrote:

No... it is not.

No ill will, but I have no time or room in my life for people that will purposely argue a point when I have stated that my intention is otherwise...

Yes it is. You may choose to ignore the obvious but that makes you appear foolish. I didn`t find you obnoxious for your statements, it was the addendum of yours that appears threatening.. If you want ot ignore me stop posting ..simple. But don`t say you are ignoring me then answer my post. foolish again. Stop.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 2:28 pm

Wrongbilly wrote:
Yes it is. You may choose to ignore the obvious but that makes you appear foolish. I didn`t find you obnoxious for your statements, it was the addendum of yours that appears threatening.. If you want ot ignore me stop posting ..simple. But don`t say you are ignoring me then answer my post. foolish again. Stop.

Why are you addressing me?