What do you think is a good age to start dating?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

Never. Dating is not for neurodiverse people. Start experimenting with neurodiverse flirting instead, which I did at age 13 or something.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:03 pm

You’re always way, way too young to start dating till one day you realize you’re way, way too old, and, lacking any experience, you simply have no business dating, ever.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:42 pm

I was 21. :lol:

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:50 pm

Each person matures at its own rate. I started dating when I was thirteen, but I was NOT ready; I hadn't even figured out friendship (I was, however, physically ready to have sex...unfortunately, only crazy people are willing to have sex with thirteen-year-olds, so guess what I ended up with).

Generally, as people develop socially/emotionally, they figure out friendship first (including finding, making, and keeping friends; resolving conflicts with friends; all the smaller skills that go along with those things; etc.) and then they are ready to start figuring out dating. If you try to get into dating before you've been able to make and keep some friends, chances are you're not emotionally mature enough, and even if you were, it's not healthy to get into a dating relationship when you don't already have some strong, stable non-dating relationships.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 1:46 am

diniesaur wrote:
Generally, as people develop socially/emotionally, they figure out friendship first (including finding, making, and keeping friends; resolving conflicts with friends; all the smaller skills that go along with those things; etc.) and then they are ready to start figuring out dating. If you try to get into dating before you've been able to make and keep some friends, chances are you're not emotionally mature enough, and even if you were, it's not healthy to get into a dating relationship when you don't already have some strong, stable non-dating relationships.

That sounds extremely NT-oriented. At 13 I had no friends. Never had any friends in high-school or college either, but I had 3 different girls that I almost had a relationship with the neurodiverse style. Neurodiverse people shouldn't believe in such silliness as presented above.

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2014, 2:46 am

It depends on what you mean exactly in the context of "dating." I personally believe that one should begin dating when they feel ready to ~ physically, emotionally, & mentally. Without one or any of these, you are more prone to exposing yourself to an unhealthy relationship. What you do want is to have a healthy relationship, if you do ultimately choose to begin dating.

I am currently in a healthy relationship with an absolutely amazing and beyond incredible person. He's one of the best individuals I have ever met. :heart:
I am 18, and this is the first healthy relationship that I've ever experienced that I would consider to be a true relationship (one that's on a much deeper level than most typical relationships that occur in today's society).

Last edited by hilaryy_renee_ on 09 Dec 2014, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:57 am

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

rdos wrote:
Never. Dating is not for neurodiverse people. Start experimenting with neurodiverse flirting instead, which I did at age 13 or something.

I've never heard of this before. What does it involve?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 3:40 pm

mpe wrote:
rdos wrote:

I've never heard of this before. What does it involve?

The basics is regular quick glances. But in order to be able to do that more than occasionally you need to arrange to meet (without talking). If you are in school in the same class it's easy (then there is little to nothing to arrange). I had one of those in college, but it didn't go well. In high school, I fancied a girl in a parallel class, and we arranged to sit at the same place during breaks, often in the library or outside the class rooms. I was very shy in school so it never went past that stage back then.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

probably 18, sadly i'm way past that now

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Apr 2015, 1:59 am

I would say 15. I was 20 when I got in my 1st relationship & it was with an online friend who was 15.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:11 am

I'd say college age. Most people get into their first serious relationship in their late teens or early 20s. I will let you know when I get my first girlfriend, assuming you're still around.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 10:28 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
I'd say college age. Most people get into their first serious relationship in their late teens or early 20s. I will let you know when I get my first girlfriend, assuming you're still around.

Ya I sadly missed out on those years, as a guy it often pisses me off that we are dealt with the card of having to be in control of out own destiny more than women are, yes I know life is not fair but its an area of life I hate, despise, loathe

Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2015, 2:34 pm

Sincerely? 20

Guitarguy86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2015, 12:10 am

I was 12 on my first date. First relationship was at 13. It's different for girls though. Parents should be more cautious with them.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 4:09 am

There's no such thing as being ready or not to date in my opinion.

There are plenty of people who you think aren't ready yet but still have plenty of relationships, just like there's plenty of people who are perfectly ready for one but never end up having one..

Just date when you feel ready, really.

Though being a young teenager is a bad idea because of immaturity and irresponsibility and even if you are mature and responsible it just won't be a serious relationship at such a young age.

16 is a good age to begin.

And by 16/17/18 relationships also start to develop more and can be more serious relationships that will last longer...