OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 7:43 pm

UDG wrote:
OddButWhy wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
UDG wrote:
How about asking for clarification. Saying something like "I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you clarify that for me?", or "Sorry. I'm a bit confused. What did you mean by 'x, y or z'?".

Usually this would result in:

1) An even more cryptic response
2) A rebuff
3) In fewer cases, something close(r) to the truth

And, it only works if you recognize there is some ambiguity in the first place. The OP's dilemma, if I understand it correctly, is one of having no idea that the other person is implying something other than the straightforward meaning of their words.

Those were just examples. You know is it very easy to be critical. Do you two have any better suggestions?

Sorry if I came cross as overly critical. I tend to be over analytical and abrupt at times. The OP's concern has been a perennial problem of mine, too, and my above reply was partly born of frustration at not being able to unravel the layers of hidden meaning, or even recognize that there ARE hidden layers.

I did offer a tactic earlier in the thread, which was to try to let people around you know that you prefer a forthright manner of communication. I do this so those closest to me know my preference and will (I hope) pass this tidbit along if someone else should ask them how best to approach me, or inquires of them why I didn't respond to their implied meaning.

corkyviolet
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2013, 12:48 am

OddButWhy wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
smudge wrote:
I know you're trying to tell/ask me something, but I'm not quite grasping what it is.

i wish my aspie bf would use this more often. :)

Morelia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2013, 8:24 am

smudge wrote:
.... At the end of the day trip, this guy went up to me and said he was now going to the cinema with his friend. I'm pretty sure it was a subtle (just friendly) invitation, but it completely went past me. I realise there isn't enough information on this to prove one way or the other. But anyway - honestly, when something is staring at me in the face, I can't interpret it to save my life.

I'm wondering if someone could help me to come up with a phrase that helps me to tell someone to speak to me directly. For instance: I couldn't just say to them, "If you want to meet me outside of work, then tell me directly" because that itself is too direct for me to say. I need a subtle way to explain this to people without freaking them out.

Please help. Thank you.

:lol: I've had the opposite problem - someone I'm not at all interested in, telling me about something they are about to do, me responding with the overheard-from-NT-conversations "Oh, that sounds like fun! Tell me more" and the conversation continues to the point where I suddenly find that "Oh, I'll come and pick you this afternoon, then? What's your address?" My responses have been interpreted as acceptance of an (unwanted by me) date. Actually, that happens quite a bit... my social skills obviously still need some tweaking! (Note to self - LESS eye contact, dammit!)

I've also turned someone down (someone who I WAS interested in) when he had dyed his hair - I didn't recognise him! (Besides the point, perhaps, but just to show that I really do/did have trouble reading faces, and even recognising them.) Oh, the humanity! But back to the OP...

Strategy #1 In the situation you mention above, you could try some non-committal phrases such as "That sounds like ..." in this case, "That sounds like an invitation?" or "That sounds like you're asking me to come too", and said with a bit of a grin. It's a bit indirect, and if you smile and keep it light, there's no harm done if your friend's intention was NOT an invitation. (You can both just laugh it off, no hard feelings.) Get him talking, get more information. Disclaimer - I have no idea if that would have worked in this particular case, as I don't know the guy.

Strategy #2 Ask for clarity with "Sorry, you'll have to spell it out for me, I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment" (You don't have to mention WHAT is pre-occupying you, even if it is AS.) Works for me, if I'm, say, in a work situation, sitting at the computer, or reading a document.

Good luck! It does get easier, eventually.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 11:36 pm

smudge wrote:
It happened again the other week and it took me days to realise what this guy was asking. There is this group I go to sometimes, and we had a day out. At the end of the day trip, this guy went up to me and said he was now going to the cinema with his friend. I'm pretty sure it was a subtle (just friendly) invitation, but it completely went past me.

Maybe it was, but I've never been invited like that. There could be other meanings behind it altogether. I hope you don't find them offensive, I'm just thinking out loud (well in text) here:

Two innocent non-invitations:
You say he's part of a group you go to. IDK what kind of group that is but the first thing to enter my mind when I read that, was that he sounded simple, and maybe he was just telling you that he was going to the cinema with his friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

If he's someone who has trouble making friends, maybe he was happy about the prospect of going to the movies with his (new?) friend. (Still makes him sound a bit simple, unless you knew his problem very well).

One nastier non-invitation would be this:
Allegedly it's supposed to be bad manners to talk to people about parties they're not invited to, allegedly it'll make them feel bad (I don't get it, I see no problem with someone inviting one person and not the other but whatever). Anyway... Going by this, he may have said "I'm going to the movies with my friend" and not adding the meaning "and you're not".

Of course it mightn't be any of those at all.

If someone had said that to me, I would say "Ooookaaay...." and think "and you're telling me this because...?"

mikassyna wrote:
You see, I wouldn't ordinarily invite myself along with someone just because they said they were going somewhere or presume I should ask. I would think that too forward and presumptuous. I figure if someone wanted me to go they would simply ask me.

I agree 100%. I would never invite myself along like that either.

smudge wrote:
People rarely invite you by asking directly

That's not my experience. Any invitation I have gotten have been direct.
"Do you wanna go out with me?"
"X and I are going to the cinema tomorrow. Do you wanna come along?"
"I'm having a small get-together soon. Come over!" (yep, she didn't even ask :lol: )

Quote:
I've had the opposite problem - someone I'm not at all interested in, telling me about something they are about to do, me responding with the overheard-from-NT-conversations "Oh, that sounds like fun! Tell me more" and the conversation continues to the point where I suddenly find that "Oh, I'll come and pick you this afternoon, then? What's your address?" My responses have been interpreted as acceptance of an (unwanted by me) date. Actually, that happens quite a bit... my social skills obviously still need some tweaking! (Note to self - LESS eye contact, dammit!)

:lol:

Quote:
I've also turned someone down (someone who I WAS interested in) when he had dyed his hair - I didn't recognise him! (Besides the point, perhaps, but just to show that I really do/did have trouble reading faces, and even recognising them.)

I also fail to recognise people when they dye their hair or change their hair in other ways.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2013, 7:28 am

Im a literal thinker myself.

In my experience it's a matter of getting to know the person and feeling comfortable around them before telling them about your problem.