New Xbox is called Xbox One, airing live right now.

Page 8 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

They sure aren't building any bridges here
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/us-navy ... e-members/

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2013, 8:49 pm

The Xbox One, kind of reminds me of a Modern Philips CD-i machine with some serious restrictions, as that was supposed to be an all-in-one information appliance, as they say you can mostly to add to you TV experience, except you have to run a cable box through this. They should remake or rerelease the Nintendo games for the CD-i on the Xbox One, along with possibly remaking Night Trap. I'm wondering if when they end support for the Xbox One, if unhacked consoles will only be worth the price of the scrap metal in them, as they need to check in, or they won't play games.

BrokenTrumpet
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm

I'm surprised this joke hasn't been posted here yet.
At the same time I disagree with the console's name, it should be the XBox Zero. Because the original XBox will have a better legacy.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 10:40 pm

I just had to put this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07l18DeHMgg[/youtube]

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Adamalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 9:30 am

Dead Rising 3 is an Xbox One exclusive. It won't sell nor help the sales of the Xbox One. Microsoft just give the fans what they want before you they start hating you over the poor sales in Xbox One resulting in poor sales of DR3 which prevents the developing of another installment in the series. All that assuming the game itself gets good reviews.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 6:05 pm

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm

I guess if I had one I'd just unplug the power cord when done using it. That way kinect wouldn't be watching and listening all the time. It's still ridiculous to have to take these sorts of measures though.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 8:17 pm

Adamalone wrote:

What really gets me about this whole Xbone fiasco overall is that the execs in charge.... and pretty much everyone else there.... just dont seem to understand WHY people dont like the thing. They have to actually RESEARCH it to figure out why these obviously-terrible "features" are such an obviously bad idea.

And these people get PAID to do these jobs that they clearly arent even remotely qualified to do.

This really does just keep getting more and more hilarious.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 8:32 pm

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm

Misery wrote:
Adamalone wrote:

What really gets me about this whole Xbone fiasco overall is that the execs in charge.... and pretty much everyone else there.... just dont seem to understand WHY people dont like the thing. They have to actually RESEARCH it to figure out why these obviously-terrible "features" are such an obviously bad idea.

And these people get PAID to do these jobs that they clearly arent even remotely qualified to do.

The features aren't terrible and for the vast majority of gamers, they will get a huge benefit. Elimination of load times, being able to play all of your games on any Xbox One anywhere, being able to let your friends play your games without having to lend them discs, system/game updates being able to automatically install when you're not using the console, etc etc. It's just more fun to complain about the restrictions without looking at the features they enable that would be impossible without them.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 9:53 pm

Right, I was having such a huge problem with load times, and needing a physical copy of an xbox game to play it. Now I've got nothing to worry about. :lol:

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm

Bataar wrote:
Misery wrote:
Adamalone wrote:

The features aren't terrible and for the vast majority of gamers, they will get a huge benefit. Elimination of load times, being able to play all of your games on any Xbox One anywhere, being able to let your friends play your games without having to lend them discs, system/game updates being able to automatically install when you're not using the console, etc etc. It's just more fun to complain about the restrictions without looking at the features they enable that would be impossible without them.

Unless the data are stored on flash memory, there will still be load times. The PS3 got a mandatory installation on many games, and there is still load times and making a complete installation of a game on PC don't eliminate load times either. As for being able to play all of your games on any Xbox One, you'll still have to go through a complete installation of the games for playing them. And for letting your friends borrow your games, you can only do that once by game and only after your friends have been at least 30 days on your friends list.

Finally, the point I brought earlier still stand...
Tollorin wrote:
One day they will shut down their services, and then no XBox One will be able to play games anymore. Contrary to say, my snes or my PS2, that are still working.

But I guess you don't really care about that.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Misery wrote:
Adamalone wrote:

Unless the data are stored on flash memory, there will still be load times. The PS3 got a mandatory installation on many games, and there is still load times and making a complete installation of a game on PC don't eliminate load times either. As for being able to play all of your games on any Xbox One, you'll still have to go through a complete installation of the games for playing them. And for letting your friends borrow your games, you can only do that once by game and only after your friends have been at least 30 days on your friends list.

There will be a little bit of load time, but it's far, far less than reading off the disk. And it's not just access to your games, it's access to all of your saves and progress. Installing them is better than not having access to them because you didn't bring a disc with you. As to the friends issue, you will be able to select up to 10 users and they will have access to your entire library from their own consoles.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:13 am

Bataar wrote:
Misery wrote:
Adamalone wrote:

I could accept that if it wasnt for the fact that my PC (and all sorts of other PCs) already do this.... and dont have goofy issues. Prices tend to be DRAMATICALLY lower for high-quality games, there's a much better selection, there's rarely any restrictions, and if there are it's generally either an MMO, or based on where you buy it from (such as Steam). And even something like Steam MORE than makes up for the (extremely unintrusive) DRM by having those dramatic sales ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Many similar things can be said about the PS4, the direct competitor to the Xbox One. Yet it does not have tons of nonsensical restrictions and will be able to be played ANYWHERE. Oh, I'm sure there will BE some online-only specific games for it, but that's the thing; it's game specific, not tied to the ENTIRE CONSOLE AND LITERALLY EVERYTHING ON IT. The Wii U can say the same things as well. So it's not just PCs.... it's the other competing consoles that are evidence that those... cough... "features".... are not needed.

And things like the anti-used game restriction? No. Just no. There's no justifying that one. It's like they're saying "We want as few people to buy this thing as conceivably possible". These restrictions actually make it IMPOSSIBLE for some consumers to own one of these. The online-only thing? Yeah; lots of players CANT go online. The numbers for that one are much larger than you might think. They use the 360, and other consoles, offline. And that's totally okay... or at least it was, until this thing appeared. Those people literally CANNOT buy into this one, regardless of the actual game choices involved. And beyond that, there's alot of gamers that RELY on the lower prices of used products because they simply cannot afford to do otherwise. I know many people in this exact situation. One particular friend of his only even owns the 360 or PS3 because they were outright GIVEN to him; for the games, he HAS to buy used stuff only because he just cant afford to spend more than that on these. And he aint the only one. Used games are important for a reason.

There will be features to the thing that could be useful for those that own one, this is true (and yes, I already knew of all of that stuff BEFORE I made my recent comment; I dont make such comments 'for teh lolz, hee hee GIGGLE". The comedy value of the situation is merely an added bonus; I would have commented even if there was literally nothing funny about any of it). But does that mean it's a good way of doing business? Does that mean that they're treating their customers and fanbase the right way? No. It doesnt. Quite the opposite. This way of doing things is what creates horrid companies like EA.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 12:47 am

Misery wrote:
I could accept that if it wasnt for the fact that my PC (and all sorts of other PCs) already do this.... and dont have goofy issues. Prices tend to be DRAMATICALLY lower for high-quality games, there's a much better selection, there's rarely any restrictions, and if there are it's generally either an MMO, or based on where you buy it from (such as Steam). And even something like Steam MORE than makes up for the (extremely unintrusive) DRM by having those dramatic sales ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

For one thing, I'm not comparing this to PC gaming, as I consider PC and console gaming two different animals. I'm comparing this pretty much only to the PS4. Secondly, with being able to buy all games digitally as well as disc based, there will be digital sales. They probably won't be as big as steam, but they will happen. You'll have the choice to buy the disc or digitally download a game anytime you want. This will be a first for consoles.

Quote:
Many similar things can be said about the PS4, the direct competitor to the Xbox One. Yet it does not have tons of nonsensical restrictions and will be able to be played ANYWHERE. Oh, I'm sure there will BE some online-only specific games for it, but that's the thing; it's game specific, not tied to the ENTIRE CONSOLE AND LITERALLY EVERYTHING ON IT. The Wii U can say the same things as well. So it's not just PCs.... it's the other competing consoles that are evidence that those... cough... "features".... are not needed.

PS4 does not have the same restrictions because it cannot do the same things. You will not be able to play all of your games on another PS4 unless you bring all of your games with you. PS4 cloud services won't even be available at launch.

Quote:
And things like the anti-used game restriction? No. Just no. There's no justifying that one. It's like they're saying "We want as few people to buy this thing as conceivably possible". These restrictions actually make it IMPOSSIBLE for some consumers to own one of these. The online-only thing? Yeah; lots of players CANT go online. The numbers for that one are much larger than you might think. They use the 360, and other consoles, offline. And that's totally okay... or at least it was, until this thing appeared. Those people literally CANNOT buy into this one, regardless of the actual game choices involved. And beyond that, there's alot of gamers that RELY on the lower prices of used products because they simply cannot afford to do otherwise. I know many people in this exact situation. One particular friend of his only even owns the 360 or PS3 because they were outright GIVEN to him; for the games, he HAS to buy used stuff only because he just cant afford to spend more than that on these. And he aint the only one. Used games are important for a reason.

It's actually easy to justify as these features wouldn't be available without this restriction. If it could play all used games, then full game installs and playing without the disc would be impossible. Playing all of your games on any console at any time would be impossible. Microsoft is moving towards digital distribution. It works for PC gaming, it works for movies, it works for music. Yes, it can and will work for console gaming. It's the way of the future. There is nothing you or I or anyone can do to stop it. It's going to happen. Sony will eventually be fully onboard with digital distribution. It will be more convenient and less expensive. Kudos to Microsoft for taking the lead in moving console gaming in that direction. Your friend will be able to buy games digitally for cheaper. Think about it, on Steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, $5 - $30. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more, hence the prices of $60.

As to the always online thing, Microsoft's current plan is basically you're screwed after 24 hours. Yeah, I know, it kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revisit the length of time period and/or find a different way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to Gamestop or something. Unfortunately, there is no plan YET. I'm hoping they change it, but who knows. Yes, if the internet goes out you're screwed for single player games. Again, that's the plan of record but I expect it to change after the E3 mess.