co-morbid ADHD, methylphenidate, B12 deficiency...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 5:18 pm

Hi all I've not been around for a while but currently facing a problem, here goes...

I'm an Aspie male, 47 years old and about a year ago I was diagnosed with co-morbid ADHD. I now take a daily dose of between 20mg and 30mg of methylphenidate a day [Ritalin for the brand concious]. I vary the dosage on what seems to be a monthly cycle with my highest intake around the full moon and lowest around 'no' moon - I guess this makes me a lunatic :lol:
This is the only medication I take besides occasional use of codeine or paracetamol for pain relief.

I am also almost vegan but for a modest and irregular intake of fermented dairy products and fish. I have been so since I was 18 and have never had any problems with deficiencies in either iron or B group vitamins, my metabolism seemed to be happy enough this way for over 25 years.

Last week I had my usual bimonthly check up with regards monitoring and prescribing my methylphenidate and my bloods came up as fine except I was dangerously low on B12.

Now, I am enjoying the benefits of the medication and besides moderate nausea some mornings and the addictive aspect of use [a spacecase with increased hyperactivity and agitation without use] I have experienced no ill effects, however there is some modest evidence to support my conclusion that my medication may be the cause of the sudden crash in my B12 levels.

My problem is I don't intend to change my diet, I would rather not drop my medication and aren't so keen on injections and pills to replace the B12 lost or not absorbed.

There is apparently a product called L-tryptophan that is an amino acid and has been used with moderate success as a methylphenidate replacement by some ADHD people however this is not available in Aotearoa and the medical profession seem to disagree about it's safety which is why it is unavailable here [though not illegal].

Has anyone else faced a similar problem and what was the solution that they opted for?

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

aspotypical
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Why would you rather not take B12 if you are willing to try tryptophan? Both are essential nutrients...

(not a doctor, just an aspie with a special interest)

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 5:44 pm

I have lived without the need for supplements for almost 30 years and would just kind of prefer to stay that way.

As for the L-Tryptophan I can't source it here and have only a modest interest as a replacement for what is quite a heavy chemical [methylphenidate which is a phenyltryptamine after all].

Thanks for the response though.

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

RedwoodCat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2013, 6:28 pm

I had this same problem too, and just take sublingual B12 2500mg. It is very common for people on the spectrum to need to take a multi-B with additional B12 and sometimes additional B3 or folic acid. Things get worse as you get older. That's just the way it goes. I got by without anything for most of my life too, but that's not relevant to where I am now at 48.