Can an Aspie develop typically as a baby?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 9:59 am

My mum knew other people with babies when I was a baby, and apparently I showed no signs any different from them (well, everyone's unique in their own way but I wasn't different in a way that stood out from other babies).

It seems I started off with no symptoms, and then the symptoms became more noticeable as I got older. I wasn't a stereotypical Autistic person though, but I must have met the criteria somehow because I was diagnosed before I was 9. But my mum said that they probably wouldn't have been able to define what was actually wrong with me if I hadn't started school badly. Instead I might have just been mistaken for an extremely shy child with learning difficulties, or maybe ADD or something like that.

I don't remember getting obsessions with anything when I was a child under the age of 11. I had casual interests, but any child is entitled to have interests, some even get obsessed, but I didn't get obsessions in a typical ''Aspie way'', like talking about a certain subject non-stop to people, isolating myself just to be alone with my special interest, obsessively thinking about it all the time, and all of that sort of behaviour. When I got to about 11 and a half, I had my first ''Aspie obsession'', which was over a certain person. From then on I had a habit of becoming obsessed with certain people, right to this day (obviously the people I used to be obsessed with aren't in my mind any more, I'm obsessed with new people who I never knew more than 3 years ago).

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:03 pm

i think mostly babies with a mild case of aspergers dont show any visible signs of aspergers at all when they are babies, and some small signs arent always notified as aspergers because its not aparent and can be a trait in any baby, since not every single baby is exactly the same.

my husbands friend knows someone who has a daughter who have just been diagnosed with aspergers, and she just turned 10 two weeks ago. it was so difficult to define throughout first 10 years of her life because a lot of her traits got confused with typical signs in nt children so they couldnt be sure, but now they done enough assessments and she been observed and they found a diagnosis that they found fitted her rather perfectly, then it all made sense.

my husband say he remember the girl as a baby and she seemed normal like any other baby and nobody even thought of any differences, not even when she was 4.

im more autistic but the only thing what gave it away was i couldnt learn to talk properly until i was about 9 or 10, and i was also immature in my behaviour, like when i was 7 i had the mind of a 2 year old and needed the same guidance and supervision a typical 2 year old would need. also my inteligence has always been way behind. even now i have low iq, which is unusual for an autistic because aparrently autistic people are supposed to be clever.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2013, 4:43 am

DS developed very typically as a bub and toddler. He rolled over, lifted his head, sat, crawled, slept, ate, walked, smiled, had separation anxiety, said his first words - did everything he was supposed to. He passed his 4 year check up with the maternal health nurse - we were all oblivious to anything until he started kinder and his social difficulty and special interest began to really stand out. We put it down to being in a new environment and new pressures. Finally, his kinder teacher convinced us that he needed to see a developmental paediatrician. And here we are one and half years later (feels a lot longer though).

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 5:58 am

My daughter showed no signs of any problems, when it came to development. In fact, with most things, she was ahead of her peers, e.g. conversed at a year. Her social development was fine and never caused any concerns, but she is still a very sociable child (to an extreme), at 7 1/2 yrs. But, even with this trouble free development, she has always been an awful lot of work. She wanted to be held all the time and would scream when she had her clothes or nappy (diaper) changed. Then she started to demand certain cutlery, cups, clothes, movies... Most of the problematic behaviour can be accounted for by sensory issues, but I didn't know that at the time. I read and read to try to find answers, but it never crossed my mind that she might have autism, until she was almost 5yrs and at school. By then, some of the social issues were starting to surface. My daughter is very mildly autistic, you would never guess she had Aspergers. Her main issue, at the moment, is concentration.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 4:58 pm

i was a very easy child. when i was age 2-8 my mum was very surprised at how easy i was, i used to just go of on my own and play quietly without demanding my mum at all. i was very speech delayed though, and never learnt to talk properly until i was 9, which all came on all of a sudden. then i turned into quite a angry girl and held a stiff fed up kind of expression as though i was ready to criticise any imperfection in the world. some would describe that as stuck up but it wasnt that with me.

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2013, 5:14 pm

I was not diagnosed until adulthood.

I had no speech delay, but apparently, my emotions didn't develop right. My parents had to teach me emotions by using my NT younger sister as a model. My parents, for some strange reason, did not see this as particularly odd, and just took it in their stride. My other milestones were not delayed, nor were they early, although at one point I came down with a virus that stopped me from growing or gaining weight for a couple of months.

At preschool, I was a loner. I had no friends, and tended to play with a toy Simba that I brought with my every day rather than interact with the other children.

In school I was slow to learn to read and spell. I lagged somewhat behind my classmates until I was about nine years old, but not so much that it raised any warning bells. Note that I had been enrolled at a private school for "gifted" children -- not because I actually was gifted, but because my parents were upper-middle-class and therefore had the money, the school was local and convenient, and the only other local school was at that time terrible. Although I was lagging behind my classmates we were being taught at an accelerated level, and I was probably actually reading at either an average or only slightly-below level. And then over about three months I went from being slightly behind to reading and spelling at a level equivalent to that of a 17 or 18 year old high-school student. I was always very good at mathematics.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 7:57 am

I think it's preschool which is what throws me. I know in the UK children start preschool and official school earlier than those in some other countries. Here some start preschool as early as 2, and all children start school at 4 or at least 4 and a half (unless they were born on one of the first days of September, then they are 5 when they start school).

I have a few little memories of preschool. I remember crying when my mum left me, which I quickly grew out of because I got used to the idea that all mums and dads do come back to pick us up in 3 hours time. I remember one morning when I was 3, I felt a bit worried that my mum had just left me, but soon felt better when I was playing with sand, with 4 or 5 other children, and then I began to feel happy. I remember actually feeling those emotions at the time, so I wasn't delayed in feeling emotions for age-appropriate reasons.

Then another time I remember playing with a dolls house, and another little girl was crying her eyes out because she didn't want her mum to leave. I remember looking at her and wanting to cry too for the same reason, and that if she wasn't crying then I wouldn't of wanted to cry, as though it was a form of empathy for another child.

And then I remember playing with a toy doctor's kit, and I made out I was a doctor and wanted a patient. So I went up to a little boy who also looked interested in the doctors kit, and I put on the play stethoscope and asked, ''do you feel sick?'' He knew I was just starting to play a game, so he said, ''yes'', and I felt his chest with the stethoscope (he didn't really feel sick, he was just engaging in the game). That's all I remember.

Also I can remember what the carers at preschool look like even now, and I don't have any pictures of them, so I must have made eye contact with them when I was a preschooler. That's how children remember faces, is mostly through eye contact. So I don't know how I suddenly went from typical to Aspie within the 6 weeks between the last day of preschool and the first day of school (year reception).