aspergers and jobs with the goverment

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 4:56 am

would having aspergers increase your chance of getting a goverment job in the united states?

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:33 am

I doubt it... However, some Aspergers traits may help. If, for instance, one of your special interests happens to line up with the agency's goals/mission then that would be helpful. In other words: If your special interest is Forestry and Identifying wild plants and trees and whatnot and your focus on that topic means that you can now do this accurately without using a field guide, then you may be qualified for a job with the US Forrest service (or something similar).
In general, I would be hesitant about disclosing Aspergers before actually getting a job.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 9:44 am

I don't think it would help you get the job (in fact, don't diclose.) But I currently work in a government adjudications job and it fits me fairly well. I sit in a cubefarm and go through case files. I can focus on my work and I rarely have to interact with people outside of my immediate supervisor, pretty soon I can even start taking my cases home and working there!

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 10:48 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
I don't think it would help you get the job (in fact, don't diclose.) But I currently work in a government adjudications job and it fits me fairly well. I sit in a cubefarm and go through case files. I can focus on my work and I rarely have to interact with people outside of my immediate supervisor, pretty soon I can even start taking my cases home and working there!

I agree, especially if you work within DoD.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 3:04 am

chris5000 wrote:
would having aspergers increase your chance of getting a goverment job in the united states?

No. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to decide to either hire or not hire someone on the basis of their having Asperger's.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:30 am

The US Public Service doesn't have employment equity programs like the Canadian Public Service?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_equity_(Canada)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:37 am

The U.S. Federal Government seldom hires employees. Most of the work is done by contractors.

taxman
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2013, 10:41 am

I currently work for the federal government. We do hire people, but it can be tough to get in unless you are a vet or hired as some other preference candidate. I was hired under Indian Preference, but there are only a handful of jobs/agencies that use that--I had to relocate cross country for my current job. I tried for years to get in otherwise, but always lost out. I know disability can be a preference category, but it is probably pretty low on the list and I am not sure if Asperger's would qualify.

The competition has gotten to where you almost have to be a disabled vet to have a shot, depending on what the job is and where.

outsider45
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2013, 8:33 pm

I used to work for DoD with a lot of engineers..many of them displayed signs of AS but they were accepted and it was dealt with because they were brilliant at their jobs.

I only had temporary positions there, the first one I was all by myself with another girl in a room where we did computer work all day and some days had nothing to do but sit and talk.

The other job I had required me to be more social but it pushed me to get out of my comfort zone. I met a lot of great people and really had a great time in that job (all of my coworkers were men so were more laid back plus every coworker was a bit odd and had a great sense of humor, which made it fun). That has been the best job I've ever had so far in my life. Sadly, I was let go early due to budget cuts :(

It's hard to get in though--I still have no idea how I got in, I had no connections. Just a stroke of good luck (for once in my life). I would not disclose that you have AS. The world is not very understanding to people who struggle in life, and they can be cruel.

taxman
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 6:55 pm

It is really a numbers game....people just have to keep trying, and one big key is to be willing to relocate.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 10:41 pm

Being squeaky clean also helps, you'd be surprised at how much they care about what you haven't done.

taxman
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 10:20 pm

That one really depends on what you do....a lot of the jobs don't require anything beyond passing a drug test. I had to pass one to work at the Post Office, but that was the extent of it.

Background checks become a factor if you have a job where you have access to something that in theory would give you an opportunity to commit fraud, theft, or other crimes. I work with financial records so I had to complete a background check although it was not all that extensive since I don't really have the capability to access any property or money. I only record transactions, monitor the budget, and similar tasks.. The HR person at my job has the most extensive background check of anyone there, because she has access to everyone's personal information, banking information, etc. The supply clerks where I work also have to do a fairly rigorous background check.

Some it also has to do with the particular agency....anyone who works for the IRS in any capacity has to have a totally clean tax record and has to agree to permit them to check their last few years of returns.

conchscooter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2013, 12:14 am

Check out local government listings. The Federal government's needs change and you can be required to relocate across half a dozen time zones as needed (by them, not you!).

I love working for my city government. The rules are clear, the expectations are clear, you have job protections and your bosses don't make 400 times your salary and they can't fire you on a whim. On the other hand you make less money and you have to keep showing up year after year for a pension at the end, we hope.

I wouldn't change it for anything. But don't disclose ASD if you can avoid it.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2013, 6:30 pm

No way. A person needs applicable private sector experience to have a chance at a government job. The federal employment system is a morass of applications which never get read, and most state governments have a panel interview for every g*dd@mn3d position. Though illegal and nigh-impossible to document from outside, local governments don't consider anyone who's not the friend of the mayor or of a council member.

So basically, most Aspies are screwed out of government employment. I wouldn't be hard on yourself for failing to get a government job unless you're politically connected.