Would you recommend working two jobs during the summer?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

azaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2013, 4:20 am

I work night shift (11pm-7am) and I am thinking of searching for a day time job so I can increase my savings. I make 2,000$ every month. I am trying to buy a car, pay 3K worth of ticket fines, and pay 3K of tuition and books for Uni starting in September. I can save 1000$ every month but I was doing some calculations and I fall short of saving what I need. I only have 500$ saved up but I am just started saving up. I will definitely have enough to pay for my tuition but I would like to have a car and have my traffic tickets paid off before I start school or I will be forced to save as I attend school. Would you recommend working two jobs (only for the summer) or should I continue doing what I am doing?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 4:23 am

Two jobs can take a toll after a while. Immigrants do it routinely so it is possible.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 6:25 am

I worked two jobs every summer for four years. I opened a pool at 5:30am and worked until about 1 or 2, then I worked at a concert venue from about 5pm-11pm... It was grueling and I had to spend most of my free time catching up on sleep. I definitely got through it okay and was able to save up some money, but it came with some real sacrifices.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 11:03 am

For me personally, if I had it to do over again, with the right classes and with the right part-time job, I might take:

9 college hours (three classes) and 20 hours of part-time work.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

I like to work overtime.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

I have worked some crazy hours before, and for three or four months, I worked full time plus two part time jobs. I had some severe shortage of family time and a lot of stress as a result. I cannot recommend it. But, in the short term, I did make some moneyl