Mild Autism + Highly Sensitive Person

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm

Sensory processing disorder and Autism are different. However, SPD is only diagnosed by occupational therapists. It is not the the DSM. I agree, however, that Aron is probably wrong not to consider SPD to be problematic.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2013, 10:49 pm

That's basically a technicality, since SPD is often described as comorbid with autism.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jul 2013, 11:02 pm

Verdandi wrote:
That's basically a technicality, since SPD is often described as comorbid with autism.

Well, the APA didn't accept it into the DSM-5. My understanding is that SPD was not sufficiently distinguished from ASD.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm

nominalist wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Well, the APA didn't accept it into the DSM-5. My understanding is that SPD was not sufficiently distinguished from ASD.

Understandable. I mean that SPD was defined in significant part by observations of autistic children.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jul 2013, 12:07 am

Verdandi wrote:
Understandable. I mean that SPD was defined in significant part by observations of autistic children.

Yes. Someone would need to conduct research showing that SPD can be found outside of ASD.

The APA tries to be careful. They have made lots of mistakes in the past. For instance, schizoid disorder of childhood or adolescence was in the DSM-III. The diagnosis was removed from the DSM-III-R. The APA argued that the characteristics in schizoid disorder of childhood or adolescence were not separate from pervasive developmental disorder. Originally (going back a hundred years), the APA also supported eugenics.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

HSP isn't only SPD and needn't even include the SPD aspects, as I understand it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 8:02 pm

Popsicle wrote:
HSP isn't only SPD and needn't even include the SPD aspects, as I understand it.

Yea, I think SPD traits severe enough to warrant a diagnosis are going to be more extreme and debilitating, and are usually associated with autism, not HSP. The vast majority of HSP people don't have severe sensory issues, especially if the definition supposedly includes 20% of the population. 20% seems kind of arbitrary to me. I don't get where that came from. I'd rather say it's something like 5%. I haven't bothered to actually read all the info/theory though.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 3:37 am

TornadoEvil wrote:
I would call myself a sensitive, socially anxious person. I have trouble speaking up, and I take time in processing mine and others emotions. I do end up burning out rather easily. I do like connecting with people, though it can be very difficult for me.

Also have impulse issues.

Join the club! I don't like being hugged, as a rule, but Dr. Aron's checklist for an HSP fits like confortable pair of shoes, as far as I'm concerned.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 4:13 pm

This whole thread is awesome i am going to bump so i can find it later..

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 5:13 pm

linatet wrote:
ps. I'm new here. Why is it there are so many emoticon choices?? we don't know when to use them anyway :wink:

they are shorthand for how you feel, and most people have many different feelings of which the selection of emoticons here barely does justice.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 6:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
linatet wrote:
ps. I'm new here. Why is it there are so many emoticon choices?? we don't know when to use them anyway :wink:

they are shorthand for how you feel, and most people have many different feelings of which the selection of emoticons here barely does justice.

This is funny, it is such an old post!
To be honest emoticons have always been confusing to me. Those are the ones I have figured out:
8O :? :D :) :( :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink:
quite impressive uh? hehehe I am proud

the rest is just nonsense to me, like those:

:shameonyou: :salut: :cyclopsani: :ninja:
what the hell?

also what is the difference of things like:
:x and :evil: ; :P and :D

go figure!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 6:46 pm

linatet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
linatet wrote:

To be honest emoticons have always been confusing to me. Those are the ones I have figured out:
8O :? :D :) :( :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink:
quite impressive uh? hehehe I am proud

the rest is just nonsense to me, like those:

what the hell?

The first one means "shame on you," the second is a "salute." The third, I believe, means someone has an "idea." The fourth I have no idea about.also what is the difference of things like:
:x and :evil: ; :P and :D

In the first group, the first one is frowning, and the second one looks like the Devil. In the second group, the first one is sticking out his/her tongue; the other is a wide grin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 7:00 pm

linatet wrote:
what the hell?

you have a right to be proud of your accomplishment :) the first smiley is when somebody says something rude or cuts one to the quick about something they couldn't help. the second one is a salute for a good deed. the 3rd one is an expression of lust or intense desire or wanting something a lot. the fourth one is an expression of determination, AKA "i'll win!"

linatet wrote:
also what is the difference of things like:
:x and :evil: ; :P and :D go figure!

the first one is angry, the second one is VERY angry, the third one is saying "NYAH NYAH NYAH" and the fourth one is a very happy smiley.

AmieLynn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2014, 7:14 pm

I can relate 100%. I am a HSP and I have Aspergers also. I don't see how they could be on opposite sides of the spectrum. I am sure I am both.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 7:17 pm

when Marshall said "Aspies" can be divided into two different types. There's the highly sensitive type and there's the blunt "logical" type. Both types may be emotionally sensitive inside, but the former have more cognitive empathy and are less black-and-white than the latter. It seems these two personality types clash like oil and water on here - it made me think or realize that I have both inside of me that behave sorta like dr. jeckel and mr. hyde, IOW they both struggle for supremacy.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 9:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
linatet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
linatet wrote:

I was wondering who brought this old thread back to life! Poor auntblabby. It's too hard to stealthily resurrect a zombie thread in this forum without somebody noticing. People on the spectrum pay too close attention to minor details like dates on posts. :P