Should bare human female mammary areolae be legal in public?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should bare female mammary areolae be legal in public?
I'm female, and I say No Way! Never! 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I'm female, and I say only when breastfeeding a child 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
I'm female, and I say only when the breasts contain political slogans 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I'm female, and I say only when breastfeeding or making a political statement 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I'm female, and I say only when the breasts are nubile 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm female, and I oppose restrictions on public display of areolae 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I'm male, and I say No Way! Never! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I'm male, and I say only when breastfeeding a child 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I'm male, and I say only when the breasts contain political slogans 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm male, and I say only when breastfeeding or making a political 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm male, and I say only when the breasts are nubile 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I'm male, and I oppose restrictions on public display of areolae 50%  50%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 34

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 2:43 pm

I've found this to be a matter of curiosity.

On the one hand, you have some women who try to pump up their breasts, and show a bit of cleavage, to draw attention to them. But, revealing a bit of areola seems to be a major no-no.

Women seem to be much more offended than men by the appearance of other women's bosoms. Which is one thing that I want to test with the gender-differentiated poll.

Feminists certainly don't think that men should look at them, but then you have Ukrainian feminists baring their titties at political rallies.

And, the things are designed for breastfeeding infants and young children. I don't see why some people make such a big fuss over them.

Those who decide what constitutes offensiveness and good taste seem to have decided that any portion of the breast, other than an areola or nipple, may be exposed for the sake of a bit of a cleavage display. Such displays are nearly indispensable particularly for a woman who is seeking to mate. But, show a bit of areola, and the ladies will swoon and faint, while someone will call the cops.

What say ye? Does our society make even a damned bit of sense?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Should bare human female mammary areolae be legal in public?

Meh, I think it should be compulsory. :P

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

Free your breasts, free your mind!

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but the one thing that never made sense to me is that women can expose pretty much everything (aka bikinis), but as long as that small portion of their breasts is covered up it's considered ok. When you're already exposing that much skin, it's not like those tiny patches of fabric are really covering up much lol.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

I don't understand the simultaneous shame of and obsession over the human body when it comes to bared breasts in public, at least not when it's being used for breastfeeding purposes. Clothing serves the purpose of masking our intimacy from strangers so that we can have privacy about ourselves, but the human body isn't innately shameful and it certainly isn't disgusting. That's a horrible mindset to have.

Sex is pushed constantly and publicly with everyone pretending they don't know they're not being the least bit subtle about it. If what's being exposed is something like a mother nursing I think everyone not rallying to get rid of obvious sexuality in public needs to let go of the issue. If we accept using sex as advertisement, currency, and more just because it's surrounded by pretense, then we should accept parts of the human body that are both sexual and non-sexual being used in a non-sexual sense where we can see it.

It's not sexual because it's currently being used for babies and you don't think babies are sexual, do you? There's some pretense for you. Bam. Done.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 8:52 pm

I think it would unnecessarily endanger the heterosexual men.Can you conceive of how many will get hit by cars or walk into open manholes while gawking at boobies?And if they are using a iPod at the same time the accident rates will skyrocket.They will need blinders.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:53 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I think it would unnecessarily endanger the heterosexual men.Can you conceive of how many will get hit by cars or walk into open manholes while gawking at boobies?And if they are using a iPod at the same time the accident rates will skyrocket.They will need blinders.

True, but only initially. Sooner or later we'd get used to it, and the usual sidelong glance down the cleavage technique would be back in place, with even more payoff!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 10:42 pm

But, when breastfeeding, the areola isn’t actually visible, is it? Gotta be quick swapping the bra and the baby :P

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 7:59 am

I say no for a simple reason....BOUNDARIES.

If you must breast feed, do so with a sense of discretion. There are places you can sit in a restaurant so that others eating don't have to see you doing it. You can use a baby blanket to conceal yourself so it's no so blatant.

I don't care how "natural" it is. If you whip it out and start breast feeding your kid, I will tell the manager I'm leaving because you've put me off my appetite and I won't pay for having my meal ruined by something I shouldn't be forced to look at.

My parents didn't do jack squat when they were raising infants because you didn't go out in public and do these things. Once the kid was weaned, you could go out and give them a bottle. Right now, you can bottle your own breast milk so you don't have to whip it out in public.

It's about respecting other people's space and sensibilities.

If I'm a nudist, I go to a nudist camp/beach, my back yard (with 12-foot high thick hedge to block out peeping eyes) or in the privacy of my home...not on my way to the post office.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 8:22 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I say no for a simple reason....BOUNDARIES.

If you must breast feed, do so with a sense of discretion. There are places you can sit in a restaurant so that others eating don't have to see you doing it. You can use a baby blanket to conceal yourself so it's no so blatant.

I don't care how "natural" it is. If you whip it out and start breast feeding your kid, I will tell the manager I'm leaving because you've put me off my appetite and I won't pay for having my meal ruined by something I shouldn't be forced to look at.

My parents didn't do jack squat when they were raising infants because you didn't go out in public and do these things. Once the kid was weaned, you could go out and give them a bottle. Right now, you can bottle your own breast milk so you don't have to whip it out in public.

^^^^^You were most likely weaned too soon and are now jealous of infants getting what you were denied.If I was the manager, I'd tell YOU to leave.I breast fed both my kids in public,discreetly.No one ever complained,rather the opposite.And no one is forcing you to stare at a breast feeding Mom,why on earth would you be staring at her unless the problem is you?
Chances are the Mom is in there with her family,who am I going to throw out?The a**hole bitching or a whole table of paying customers?I hope the manager you complain to has breast fed or their wife or sister has.

Last edited by Misslizard on 12 Jun 2013, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 8:31 am

zer0netgain wrote:

First you say, you dont want to respect a womens space and sensibility, and then you say your disrespecting was caused on respect. Sorry, but I really hope the manager of a restaurant gives you a card for a breast phobia self help group or such thing, and doesnt give in to you.

Around here breastfeeding is pretty normal and people would tell you to stay in your house, if you cant manage to be under normal people. I agree with you on the garden thing, but dont care for high fences. People here have necks and are able to turn them, if they want to see in another direction.

Gotta say in europe we all didnt understand the excitement about Janet Jacksons Nipplegate. So the following picture (without the red censorship bar) was an advertisement for an art exhibit in the vienna museum and was advertised public everywhere around the capital city (Yes, even in front of schools...but keep calm, our kids have already known before that men have a dudu down there. ^^) and yet there was no increase of gangbangs or other negative effects, so all that commotion about the oh so terrible naked skin doesnt seem to have much sense.

Last edited by Schneekugel on 12 Jun 2013, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 8:33 am

Sorry about the snafu on the quote box,don't know what went wrong.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:50 am

Misslizard wrote:

If I was the manager, I'd tell YOU to leave.I breast fed both my kids in public,discreetly.No one ever complained,rather the opposite.And no one is forcing you to stare at a breast feeding Mom,why on earth would you be staring at her unless the problem is you?
Chances are the Mom is in there with her family,who am I going to throw out?The a**hole bitching or a whole table of paying customers?I hope the manager you complain to has breast fed or their wife or sister has.

If I'm a nudist, I go to a nudist camp/beach, my back yard (with 12-foot high thick hedge to block out peeping eyes) or in the privacy of my home...not on my way to the post office.

+1. My son refused a bottle his entire infancy. Guess whose needs are going to carry more weight, especially if I'm within my legal right to do so? Nothing wrong with modesty and discretion, but you can only police the sensibilities of others to a finite point.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

I personally don't see any reason to make it illegal for women to bare their breasts. Maybe if there were no such laws, perverts would be less likely to equate them with sin and sexual gratification.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:55 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

True, but only initially. Sooner or later we'd get used to it, and the usual sidelong glance down the cleavage technique would be back in place, with even more payoff!

Yes,it will thin out the males who would have been taken out by a Saber-tooth Tiger in the past.It may improve the gene pool,only the most fit will survive,the careless won't make it.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 11:05 am

What about forbidding the display of a bare male torso as either an immodest show of muscle or a lame attempt at one? :twisted:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.