Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

modernorchid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2013, 10:45 am

My aspie DD 12 just got her braces yesterday. I was all nerves but she was fine, and in a good mood before and after. Later that night she didn't want to eat dinner (cheese pizza cut into bite sizes) because her teeth hurt. I offered tylenol, which she has always taken before with no complaints (likes taste), and she refused. This morning she didn't eat her (blueberry waffles) for breakfast but drank her milk. I offered soft food, (cottage cheese, yogurt) and the tylenol again. She refused and said she isn't going to eat anymore because it bothers her!

I did not use braces, none of my family or friends have and I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it would take some time to get used to, but shouldn't she be eating fine? I guess I was naive and expected a smoother transition since she wanted to get them, and wasn't nervous or complaining prior to getting them. I guess after the pain killers ran out, she felt the difference.

Anyone with any experience with braces? TIps to make it easier on her?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 11:10 am

Hi, when I got braces at age 15, it was about three days before I could eat any kind of hard food.

Even waffles have a little bit of crunch.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

Braces are a horrible device used to torture children. Your gums feel weird, your lips feel weird, they hurt sometimes. Bleh.

I consumed only smoothies for about 2 weeks when I got braces and each time after they were tightened. You can make them so you still get most of the nutrients you need, and if they are cold they help the pain.

I also found Advil (ibuprofen) to be better with that type of pain because it helps with inflammation and swelling.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 12:50 pm

My son has braces, and I think you have to give it a little time. It takes a while to get used to them, and the mouth DOES hurt the first few days after each tightening. Sometimes my son will hold off on eating; other times he seems unaffected. But with him it doesn't last that long. My biggest worry is that he has trouble brushing and flossing properly with the braces.

If your daughter is drinking her milk she will be OK for a while. She will eventually get hungry and at the same time the discomfort should start to ease. Let her take it in her own time.

Do check that there aren't any specific issues that demand correcting: wires sticking out in the wrong places, things being too tight, and so on. A little discomfort is normal; something sticking into her mouth and causing extreme pain is not.

If you aren't seeing any improvement in a week, let her orthodontist know what is happening, and ask his advice for how much longer to wait.

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm

You can try liquid Tylenol. Keep offering soft food alternatives. Maybe a cold pack. I wonder if orajel would help?

I have both a personal and professional interest in ASD's. www.CrawfordPsychology.com

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

I had a long run of braces as a teen. I don't remember not wanting to eat, but I do remember my mouth hurting sometimes. The things they stick to the teeth always rubbed on the inside of my lips. I used some kind of wax they sold for people with braces. Rolled it up in little balls and stuck it to the bracket things that were bothering me the most. Also used Orajel quite a bit. Did they give you that little pick shaped toothbrush for getting under the wire?

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 7:47 pm

I've been wearing braces now for 8 months now. It took about 2 weeks to settle in. Not only are the gums/teeth tender, but the braces will start cutting the insides of the cheeks and lips. I hope you have wax handy because that was quite uncomfortable - and yes, it bled. Give her 2 weeks and reassure her she will be fine soon.

I would stop with the Tylenol though. The pain is uncomfortable and it hurts to chew in the early stages but it's not THAT bad to need medication .. at least it's not for me.

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 6:28 am

my 7yo just got his first few braces and a palate expander, he didn't complain a BIT about the braces. What he hated was the taste of the "glue" they used to stick them on. He never once said he was in pain or cried about wearing them. THOUGH my son was born with a cleft lip and palate and has had numerous surgeries and procedures to his mouth and face. SO to him a few braces are a piece of cake! he loves changing the colors of the bands, and always coordinates them to his fav video game characters! Right now cutting his food up so he doesn't bite into it is the most annoying thing for me.

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

zette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 11:45 am

When I got braces (30 years ago now!) I ate only very soft food such as applesauce and canned chicken noodle soup (swallowing the noodles whole) for about a week. I may have gummed some McDonalds French fries. I imagine that someone with ASD might be even more sensitive.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 8:25 pm

nebrets wrote:
Braces are a horrible device used to torture children. Your gums feel weird, your lips feel weird, they hurt sometimes. Bleh.

I consumed only smoothies for about 2 weeks when I got braces and each time after they were tightened. You can make them so you still get most of the nutrients you need, and if they are cold they help the pain.

I also found Advil (ibuprofen) to be better with that type of pain because it helps with inflammation and swelling.

In my case, braces were a godsend. Of course, having them was a PITA, but worth it. I might need to get my bottoms straightened out in a few years (a bit lazy on the retainer!)

DonaldDarko
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2013, 2:09 am

I had braces for seven or eight years, different kinds, but all throughout middle school and almost until the end of highschool I've had some kind of metal and plastic in my mouth. This hasn't been too long a time ago, so I still remember the feeling rather well. Especially at the beginning or just after dentist's appointments it used to be really hard. Usually hurt like hell and at the very beginning the insides of my lips used to get very raw and open. I also remember not being able to sleep because of the pain, not to even think of eating.

I might have to add that I wasn't the greatest eater anyway, but the braces really made it a lot worse and when they were really new, I didn't want to eat anything, not even apple sauce or soup. My brother even put my favourite spaghetty and tomato sauce into the blender, but not even that tempted me to eat. Although, I'll never forget this, because that was probably my first moment as a kid when I realised how much my brother actually cared about me.

I think I didn't really eat for roughly a week back then. However, I did drink soy milk and juice and then eased my way back to eating with banana (and probably other fruit) milkshakes. So, maybe, if your daughter likes those, you could always give that a try, because you can get plenty of good calories from such shakes. Other than that I can tell you from my own experience that even as a young kid you won't die if you don't eat for a couple of days, especially not if you drink some of your calories, as your daughter seems to be doing (e.g. through milk).

All the best, be patient with her, because braces can be hell especially if you're very sensitive and/or are kind of nervous about things going on around and inside your mouth.