Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sugarrush
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jun 2013, 3:13 pm

its hard for me to talk to people. they talk to fast or for to long. I forget what were talking about. its so annoying. everything is so hard. when I tell them they talk more. :(

flamebolt925
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2013, 3:18 pm

hey ur not alone there

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm

Conversation isn't impossible, it just takes a bit more work. What I found helpful was to listen to interview programs (in my case, Talk of the Nation with Terry Gross on NPR, earlier, and the WTF podcast, later) to assist me in understanding how the flow of conversation should go. When I'm not particularly interested in what the person I am conversing with is talking about, I'll focus on a point made in the conversation that could branch into something I'm more interested in, and ask them to elaborate on it. That way, it doesn't feel like I'm trying to change the subject, and I still seem engaged, while able to at least feel in control of the conversation.

If someone is talking too fast, or in a way where it is difficult to comprehend what they're saying, it isn't impolite to ask them to repeat themselves. My guess is that most people would rather be asked to repeat something, than to get a distant, monotone, "uh huh," or, "yeah."

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

I have a real hard time initiating conversation but I do like to listen to when people talk

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 8:28 pm

I have a problem when they change the subject 20 times, to 20 different things w/out ever addressing any of them or letting me address any of them.
It's like -why are you even talking? Pretty soon I stop listening - nod and smile, make my excuses, and go elsewhere.