Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jerry00
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

No it's not fair but then the school system never was. It was designed by wealthy industrialists from the outset as a one size fits all system to produce workers. They had no concept of autism. They knew nothing about how the brain works. So they based their school system on the principles of dog training. Pavlovian conditioning is all you will get at any school. So while it's sad that they won't put the effort in to teach you with your needs, chances are, they aren't really teaching ANYONE in your class anything useful.

A well designed test can to a certain extent ascertain your aptitude for a specific activity, but the fact is the tests the state compels us to take are not well designed, they are little more than a lottery and a charade. They are designed to be easy to mark. That's all. That's the ONLY criteria for designing a school test. Is it easy to mark?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 7:54 pm

Neonhusky wrote:
I have never been allowed an IEP :(

My mom has tried, but they say "she is to smart, she dosent need one" because I have good grades .

Is this fair???

I don't think it is :(

I have a few questions...

What sort of help do you feel you need? What do you think would be different if you had an IEP? And lastly, why do you think you need one?

My daughter, for example, is autistic, but does not need an IEP. She gets good grades without changing the curriculum or receiving any additional help. In her school, though, she is allowed to get extra help with socialization even though she doesn't have an IEP.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

Being on the spectrum in and of it self does NOT entitle you to an IEP. You are only entitled to an IEP if it prevents you from learning.