Have any of you been fired from a job more than once?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm

Just a question.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

Technically: No
In reality: yes, they just call it something else.

JDC6776
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

Fired = 3
Quit = 3
Laid Off = 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

Some employment applications (stupidly) ask, Have you ever been fired for any reason?

So, it's good to have the other reason. Or if need be, I think it's usually okay to tell a lie of deflection.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

I have been fired twice and I always lie on applications saying I've never been fired. I have been suspended from work three times, twice at the same employer.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jun 2013, 7:17 pm

Over 4 decades, I changed jobs every 2-3 years, mostly quit before I got fired. Sometimes I worked temp for a couple of years - that was a relief but I had to keep expenses very low. Towards the end, I was holding jobs 5-7 years but I got fired from those. I'm retired now, huge relief.

elsing
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

Many of my jobs yes.

It was never the work, it was always the social, so it was never directly getting fired.

Even got fired from being a volunteer once.

itsthedrewshow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2013, 5:28 pm

Yes.

I've had about 7 jobs in 5 years. (My last job was back in 2007, I've been on SSI since then.)

4 of them I was "let go"/fired/laid off.
3 of them I voluntarily quit due to the stresses and demands of the job.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 12:35 am

Never officially. But there are ways of being let go quietly that can happen.
What makes it worse is when you have to attend conferences with these individuals, smile and be friendly with them. Which I do on an annual basis, but only because I love my job now.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

I've never been fired from a job more than once. Every time I've been fired, it's been from a different job.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 6:52 am

Fired: 3
Quit: 3-4
I think.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 9:48 am

First job: Boss thought I was ok, but coworker demanded from Boss to fire me, because of him feeling so alone, when working with me. :cry:

Second Job: Company thought they had such a good year and could hire three more workers, three months later when they had the actual data, they saw that the year wasnt that good, so they fired us again. :x

Third job: Did well as long as I was in the office with the so called "weired" colleagues, did horrible when I was in the office with the so called "normal" colleagues, company went bankrupt. :salut:

Fourth job: 2-man company with me and an extrovert, chaotic boss without any system. (He was responsible for the customer contact and sellings, I for everything else.) I did well, so he wanted to keep me by all means, but I simply couldn't take it anymore as long as he was around me, every 5 minutes he remembered something else he had forgotten, normally when he left I had 10 jobs half done, that I needed to interrupt to do another job he forgot, that got again interrupted to do something else he forgot... It sounds simply funny, but I came home and cried and were completely done, that was the first job I quitted myself. After that I had problems with depressions and panic attacks. :pale:

Fifth job: Office job with technical knowledge for a japanese distributor of tools. The workers were normal europeans, but the two managers always were japanese, that were changed every few years by their japanese central company, so that they dont got to influenced by that bad european life style. (Means such things like having a life beside working and such evil stuff.) Holy crap...so I am very interested in visiting Japan one time in my life, but never would I want to work there. I cant tell our manager simply was nuts or if all japanese managers are like these, but ours behaved definitely like nuts. I was only there as exchange for a worker, that needed to do his forced armytime, but they offered me to keep me, but that company and the japanese managers were definitely creepy. They did battles about their honor with other japanese managers and such stuff...really, really weird... :duh:

6th job: My own office! I got my own office! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! *dance* My own Aspieland! ^^ If I was an NT i´d say now: "That dumb company got too small, and because they needed more space for the building departement, the old office simply was removed and now my new office has been built in the damned storage, and I dont see anyone all day, because of me not being in the normal office part of the building, and the storage workers are not linked with me, so they dont need to have contact with me, and I only see and greet them, when going into the kitchen for some tea and I dont see anyone all day..." But I say: Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! ^^ :hail:

Between these jobs I did lots of minor halftime stuff (McDonalds, bringing newspaper on weekends, helping neighbors, ...), so that our social office didnt chase me all day.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 10:01 am

I have been fired hundreds of times.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

Several times, but fortunately not in a while. There are times I could say I was fired, but if I was allowed to resign or "laid off" rather than formally terminated, I don't call it as such if asked.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

Similar to what some others have said, I've quit several jobs at a point where I was probably close to being "let go" anyway, not because of the work but because things with the social dynamic had gone bad for me in each workplace.

It's happened with every job I've ever had. Things would start out okay with the social dynamic -- I would feel intimidated but strenuously "rise to the occasion" and find a way to fit in. But eventually the strain would show and I my co-workers or managers or boss would start misunderstanding the way I am, something I said or did, or I would have quiet meltdowns, run-ins with another person there -- things would just go south.

Happened every time. Always the social stuff going sour for me. People would like me at first then turn against me as time went on.

I found the conventional workplace so intolerable for this kind of thing, that in the end that I became self employed in something I don't really adore but it's low-stress and relatively solitary, which suits me better than working for and with others.

Casp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2013, 7:58 pm

In 21 years, fired once, "department eliminated" (but coworkers given new internal jobs - just not me) twice, and quit 3x.

I'm am MBA employed now at a job that requires a HS diploma/GED and I'm miserable - but it (almost) pays the bills. My 401k is gone and savings will be within 6 months. Newly minted Aspie 'candidate' working on commission for outbound phone sales. I'm 46 - what could possibly go wrong?

*sigh*

With me, it wasn't so much about being unemployed as it was counting down the days until I could post out of the job into a new position, "reinvent" myself (or so I thought) and start fresh. If only. Of the positions I held, almost all were under 1.5 years in duration - in cases 3-4 within the same company. I would post out to higher positions as "educationally underemployed". That was much easier in the 1990s. I have struggled much more since 2000.

I have reinvented myself so many times over the years that I have no idea who in hades I even am.