On the verge of something bad happening....

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 1:48 pm

Back in 1999 when everyone was talking about the .com craze and the nasdaq was climbing faster than a rocket going into outerspace, I can remember thinking to myself... "Everyone is trying to get a piece of the pie on the nasdaq... There going to water down the nasdaq and cause it to crash..."

And sure enough in march 2000, the bottom fell out.

Today as I sit enjoying this nice weather, thinking about gas prices, I begin to get the same feeling again as I did back in 1999, only this time I feel as if the ramifications will be much larger than just the nasdaq going down the toilet - i.e. global economic collapse.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 5:11 pm

Hasn't that been said for every decades trends
in the market place? Correct me if I am wrong.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 6:35 pm

We will soon go into a depression so great it will make the 1929 disater look like someone misplaced a 5 dollar bill

truthseeker
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2005, 2:45 pm

Yes, i have the same feeling. This time is very close. And it will be probably not only economic collapse. I have this feeling already a few years. Suffice to watch current world situation. i study also some very old documents, that speak about current times.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2005, 5:53 pm

So what should we do? Prepare to grow your own veges and keep (ugh) chooks?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 12:33 am

thechadmaster wrote:
We will soon go into a depression so great it will make the 1929 disater look like someone misplaced a 5 dollar bill

There is certainly a huge economic problem, but I don't think it will be as bad as 1929. Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic. (Great now I'm going to seriously worry about this for the next few days...)

Postperson wrote:
So what should we do? Prepare to grow your own veges and keep (ugh) chooks?

Postperson, do you have something against chooks? :lol:

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 2:14 am

Anyone care to provide some evidence to support this prophecy of doom?

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 7:34 am

About 8 years ago I made a scrapbook out of news paper clippings that I would cut from every daily newspaper I could get my hands on. I wanted to keep track of events leading to the 'ultimate disaster'. I was obbsessed about it to say the least. I ended up burning that scrap book. I have calmed down about it now and as far as I'm concerned if it does happen, good. The human race needs a good kick in the butt. In fact I wish it would hurry up, so we can all learn the lessons and move forward. I do hope more that we learn without the destruction. Unfortunatly we are the earths parasites, and she will need to rebalance if we don't overcome this.

This is a poem I wrote during my end of the world obsessive phase.

Blind man staring at the sun
cannot see what has begun
wrath complete vengance sweet
Run, run, flee the cities
time for healing
earth heart soul and mind
arid land
broken man

Bent knees, crooked men
carnal words of religious wolves
the earth shaking and rumbling
violently ripping fresh wounds
swallowing cities, deserts and seas
trembling the heart of the unbeleivers

and then the rains came down
on the dry barren ground
and the blood soaked soil
washed away to turn the rivers red

and everywhere the people fled
children screamed and women wailed
too late to change
what is to come
what has been seen

away, away nowhere to flee
self destruction upon thee
take me now
I wish not to stay
and see the wrath of thee
blind man staring at the sun
cannot see what had begun
wrath complete vengence sweet
run, run, flee the cities

This is a reflectioin of my feelings 8 years ago. I come from another space concerning all this now.

ElfMan

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 5:27 pm

Bkerk!

The sky is falling!

Chooks, yes I dislike them intensely, my neighbour keeps them and it took me about 9 months and 3 bureaucracies to get rid of her roosters, which used to wake me at 4am. Now I'm going for the chooks too, found out her 'pen' does not meet council standards, and it's not possible for her to build one that does, heheheheh.

bwahahahah

muhahahaha

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2005, 5:37 pm

Hm. I hope things don't end up totally collapsing, but as someone who absolutely detests driving, I would be glad to see an increase in alternative forms of transportation...

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 6:29 pm

Postperson wrote:
Bkerk!

The sky is falling!

Chooks, yes I dislike them intensely, my neighbour keeps them and it took me about 9 months and 3 bureaucracies to get rid of her roosters, which used to wake me at 4am. Now I'm going for the chooks too, found out her 'pen' does not meet council standards, and it's not possible for her to build one that does, heheheheh.

bwahahahah

muhahahaha

Um...I can understand about the roosters waking you up at 4am, but what is the problem with the hen's?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 7:11 pm

Oh she doesn't clean up after them, they are just free range in her backyard and so there's poop everywhere, and I don't want the flies. I've also had a mouse and uh, I'd have to assume she leaves food exposed. basically they hang around about 6 foot from my house which is way too close.

She's an irresponsible owner, her yard is not large enough to keep fowls without annoying neighbours and they get out too, I had one squawking outside my bedroom window (in my front yard) at 5am last week. Council requires a 15 metre distance from any dwelling, a concrete floor and the use of pesticides and they must be confined to their pen.

cornince
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2005, 2:23 am

One thing I'm surprised by is how stable the market has been lately. The market since 2003 hasn't been making the wild swings it made in 2000-2002. The last time we saw a one-day change of 2% or greater on the Dow was on June 16, 2003, when the market climbed from a previous close of 9,117.12 to close at 9,318.16, a change of 2.21%. Prior to that time, one-day swings of greater than 2% were common on the Dow, occuring at least once every few weeks, with periods where it happened every week.

I've been watching the market closely since August, 2003, when I began to get interested in it. I didn't think much of the rally, and I still don't think much of it. Still, the fact we didn't get a depression after the 2000 crash shows how willing the central bankers are to play games of deception of our money, to build our economy on even more debt than before to stave off the inevitable. Of course, it wouldn't be inevitable if people got their financial houses in order, but most don't and probably won't. Still, if you're financial house is in order, you should come off pretty ok. In fact, you could come off better than before. If you save money, and there's a debt collapse, then your dollars will become worth more. If you don't have any debt, you can work for the most part as a free person, and even start a business, as all the old infrastructure representing excess consumption and bad investments comes to auction.

cornince
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2005, 7:17 pm

UPDATE: Today, April 21, 2005, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased from 10,012.36 to 10,218.60, a gain of 2.06%. This is the first day since June 16, 2003 that the Dow Jones Industrial Average changed 2% or more in a single day.

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2005, 6:03 pm

I've never seen much sense in the economy. Like, in 1929, they could have just nullified half of the debt of the country, and allow the people damaged by losing that income to be tax exempt for ten years.

Seriously though, if you're having this feeling you need to buy a bomb shelter, because if it's right then there's going to be a nuke to upset global economy like that.

By the way, on people being 'leeches' to this earth, that can be said of many other animals on this planet. Locusts, cows (methane) horses (Trampling plants) any hooved animals actually.

Of course, some people use this earth like slothenly pigs. Though the trouble isn't as bad as some people will have you believe. This provides the other side's perspective (Christian perspective, by the way) and in the first two paragraphs gives a few shocking statistics.

http://www.summit.org/resource/essay/sh ... 2570599c2e

I was actually surprised. Of course, it is NO excuse to waste resources. We should actually stay on the same path.

Don't worry yourself sick over the enviroment, we're on a good track.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2005, 7:16 pm

Kitsune wrote:
I've never seen much sense in the economy. Like, in 1929, they could have just nullified half of the debt of the country, and allow the people damaged by losing that income to be tax exempt for ten years.

That wouldn't have worked. Everyone was in debt.

Kitsune wrote:
By the way, on people being 'leeches' to this earth, that can be said of many other animals on this planet. Locusts, cows (methane) horses (Trampling plants) any hooved animals actually.

Locusts, cows, horses etc. are not planning on drilling for oil in Alaska. Locusts, cows, horses etc. do not leave waste that is not biodegradable. Would you like me to keep going or do you see my point?

Kitsune wrote:
Of course, some people use this earth like slothenly pigs. Though the trouble isn't as bad as some people will have you believe. This provides the other side's perspective (Christian perspective, by the way) and in the first two paragraphs gives a few shocking statistics.

There are, of course, Christians who want to protect the environment, but wanting to protect the environment is not necessarily the universal Christian perspective. George W. Bush wants to drill for oil in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge. This will destroy the wildlife. George W. Bush is also a Born-Again Christian. See the problem there?