Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 3:55 am

I know I can't take the pill because it causes excruciating migraines for me and I had to be taken off them.
At the moment I'm using condoms.
However, my boyfriend and I would like to be able to feel one another properly, and so I want to find another form of birth control.
Does anyone have experience of any others? Any suggestions?

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

I was also taken off the pill due to migraines (almost 20 years ago). The only alternative that worked for me was an IUD. But, I will give you the lecture about them before everyone else jumps on me. IUDs only work to prevent pregnancy and do not protect you from any STDs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

Chance of pregnancy during first year of use:[1]

No birth control
    * Typical: 85%
    * Ideal: 85%

Combination pill
    * Typical: 8%
    * Ideal: 0.3%

Progestin-only pill
    * Typical: 13%
    * Ideal: 1.1%

Sterilization (female)
    * Typical: 0.5%
    * Ideal: 0.5%

Sterilization (male)
    * Typical: 0.15%
    * Ideal: 0.10%

Condom (female)
    * Typical: 21%
    * Ideal: 5%

Condom (male)
    * Typical: 15%
    * Ideal: 2%

Copper IUD
    * Typical: 0.8%
    * Ideal: 0.6%

Hormone IUD
    * Typical: 0.2%
    * Ideal: 0.2%

Hormone Patch

Vaginal ring

Depo Provera
    * Typical: 3%

Hormone Implant
    * Typical: 0.05%
    * Ideal: 0.05%

Diaphragm with Spermicide
    * Typical: 16%
    * Ideal: 6%

Withdrawal (Coitus Interruptus)
    * Typical: 27%
    * Ideal: 4%

Standard Days Method ("Rhythm" Method)
    * Typical: ~12-25%
    * Ideal: ~1-9%

Lactational Amenorrhea Method
    * Typical: 0-7.5%[2]
    * Ideal: <2%[3]

Total Sexual Abstinence
    * Typical: ~0%
    * Ideal: 0%
Note that in many cases the typical chances of becoming pregnant for any given contraceptive method is greater than the ideal rate that the method's proponents may claim.

References

[1] Hurt, K. Joseph, et al. (eds.); Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland (2012-03-28). The Johns Hopkins manual of gynecology and obstetrics. (4th ed.). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 232. ISBN 978-1-60547-433-5.

[2] Van der Wijden, C; Kleijnen, J; Van den Berk, T (2003). "Lactational amenorrhea for family planning.". Cochrane database of systematic reviews (Online) (4): CD001329. PMID 14583931.

[3] Blenning, CE; Paladine, H (2005 Dec 15). "An approach to the postpartum office visit.". American family physician 72 (12): 2491–6. PMID 16370405.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

Thanks both for replying!

Nymeria8 wrote:
But, I will give you the lecture about them before everyone else jumps on me. IUDs only work to prevent pregnancy and do not protect you from any STDs.
I'm not concerned about STDs as I'm in a relationship, not sleeping around.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

condoms

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
condoms

... are only 85% effective; meaning that every use of a condom involves a 3-in-20 chance of conception.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

Some couples I know who can't do the standard methods usually use a mixture of 3 or so more alternative ones - so far it seems to work for them quite well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 11:28 pm

Kjas wrote:
Some couples I know who can't do the standard methods usually use a mixture of 3 or so more alternative ones - so far it seems to work for them quite well.

Continence and Abstinence - a.k.a. "Rhythm & Blues"

velocirapture
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

I wonder if the nuvaring would give you headaches. It has a much lower dosage of hormones than the pill, and it doesn't go through the digestive tract.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 2:11 am

For those who said condoms - We are using them atm but don't want to. That was why I started this thread.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 3:33 am

I use Implanon. It goes in your arm and stays there for three years. You don't have to do anything except get it taken out (and replaced if you like) at the end.

For those who it is suited to, I would highly recommend.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 3:34 am

I have a little hormonal imbalance, because of that every kind of birth control that was based on hormones mand that I tried made me sleepy and exhausted all day. (Normal pill, mini pill, hormon strips, ...)

I can recommend you a copper IUD, I never regretted it. :) No hormones, so no weird feelings and issues and no weight problems because of the estrogen causing you to enlargen your fatpart of the body, and even my menstruation cramps that were horribly before got lost. :)

Getting it the first time did hurt a bit, because I didnt have kids until now and so my birth channel wasnt widened ever. I needed to change it after 3 years, and at the second time it only was a minor ouch like a vaccination. :)

Beside that little ouch every 3 year and that my next 3 menstruations after me having the UID for the first time got a bit stronger then usual, I never experienced any misadvantages with my copper UID, you cant forget it, you cant decide to forget it ^^, you dont need to care for digestive illnesses as you have with the hormon pill...

You simply have to care for absolutely nothing for 3 years, and also have absolutely no hormon issues. I love it. :)

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 2:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
condoms

... are only 85% effective; meaning that every use of a condom involves a 3-in-20 chance of conception.

Really? No way

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 2:53 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
condoms
Really? No way

Really. Way.

Check the references I provide earlier in this thread.

Condoms are only 85% effective in preventing pregnancies. I don't know what the rating is for preventing AIDS infections.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
condoms
Really? No way

Really. Way.

Check the references I provide earlier in this thread.

This isn't consistent with your former post, where you said "85% effective during first year of use". That sounds much more likely (though still not good).

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 6:42 pm

Alycat wrote:
Thanks both for replying!
Nymeria8 wrote:
But, I will give you the lecture about them before everyone else jumps on me. IUDs only work to prevent pregnancy and do not protect you from any STDs.
I'm not concerned about STDs as I'm in a relationship, not sleeping around.

I "had" to say it before I got lectured about it :roll:

If you are not worried about STDs, I will again endorse an IUD. It was a little painful, but quick, to have put in, not gonna lie. However, I'm 37 and still a proud non-breeder. Unfortunately, I still get migraines :thumbdown: