Removing the military enlistment ban on Asperger's syndrome

Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

I don't think it should be a disqualification automatically but something to consider.

Remember that not every aspie has sensory issues or issues with schedules, so some might find the military a great success. Others might wash out.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

sacrip wrote:
The problem is self correcting. The Aspie who wants to enlist will simply not mention his AS and/or lie about it, and a recruiter is not going to learn otherwise because he isn't going to research more thoroughly than a criminal background check. The Aspie who is unable to hide his condition is quite frankly unlikely to succeed in the military.

I don't think that'll fly. No, you don't understand what I'm saying. What I'm trying to do is gathering a group of current active-duty military personnel diagnosed with Asperger's with the intention of suing the federal government in order to repeal the military service ban on Asperger's altogether. Not just allow Aspies on a occasional basis to join. As most of us already know, we still have to bring our medical records if we wanna join. When I talked to my last recruiter in March of 2013, he didn't even know what Asperger's was. He said that he'd have to consult with a doctor about that. In the meantime, he offered me a chance to join the National Guard. I mean, this specific recruiter was completely clueless as to what Asperger's was. He was really persistent about persuading me to join the NG, though. Finally, I scheduled an appointment with him. But my mother found out about it and she became really pissed, forcing me to cancel the appointment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you lie about your Asperger's or don't disclose it, then they will find out sooner or later, one way or another. Failure to do so in my experience will count as fraudulent enlistment.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

AutisticAmerican24 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you lie about your Asperger's or don't disclose it, then they will find out sooner or later, one way or another. Failure to do so in my experience will count as fraudulent enlistment.

It's fraudulent enlistment only if you KNOW something is true and it would hold up under scrutiny. In other words...a formal diagnosis by a qualified professional.

You may know you have AS but never got a formal diagnosis. In such a case, it's not fraudulent because your opinion of yourself really doesn't matter.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 1:03 pm

Guys, this is a forum about removing the military enlistment ban on Asperger's syndrome, not enlisting in the military. So if you don't have anything useful or related to say on removing the military service ban on Asperger's, don't bother try saying anything at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

Guys, this is a forum about removing the military enlistment ban on Asperger's syndrome, not enlisting in the military. So if you don't have anything useful or related to say on removing the military service ban on Asperger's, don't bother try saying anything at all.

There is no need to remove the enlistment ban on "Aspies" in the military for two reasons:

1. When DSM-V takes full effect, Asperger's Syndrome ("AS") will no longer be listed separately from any other Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but will instead be included in the spectrum.

2. If you don't have an official diagnosis, then declaring AS will likely be seen as nothing more than a case of "cold feet" on your part; and if you do have an official diagnosis of AS, and you fail to declare it, then you could be tried and convicted under the UCMJ for Fraudulent Enlistment.

In my case, I did not know at the time that I had AS. Having grown up with abuse, I was already "conditioned" to endure Navy boot camp.

Control freaks rarely survive the first week of boot camp, however ...

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 2:30 pm

Fnord wrote:

There is no need to remove the enlistment ban on "Aspies" in the military for two reasons:

1. When DSM-V takes full effect, Asperger's Syndrome ("AS") will no longer be listed separately from any other Autistic Spectrum Disorder, but will instead be included in the spectrum.

2. If you don't have an official diagnosis, then declaring AS will likely be seen as nothing more than a case of "cold feet" on your part; and if you do have an official diagnosis of AS, and you fail to declare it, then you could be tried and convicted under the UCMJ for Fraudulent Enlistment.

In my case, I did not know at the time that I had AS. Having grown up with abuse, I was already "conditioned" to endure Navy boot camp.

Control freaks rarely survive the first week of boot camp, however ...

Yeah, but the reason that I'm pressing this issue is that some Aspies are accepted into the service but not others. Simply put, it all depends on what recruiter that you talk to.

It pisses me off when I hear that certain Aspies are allowed in once they speak to a specific recruiter but others are turned down once they consult with a different recruiter.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

... the reason that I'm pressing this issue is that some Aspies are accepted into the service but not others. Simply put, it all depends on what recruiter that you talk to. It pisses me off when I hear that certain Aspies are allowed in once they speak to a specific recruiter but others are turned down once they consult with a different recruiter.

So? Recruiters are the first line of screening - if one rejects you, you can always go to another. If you are determined to enter into military service, then you don't have to settle for "No".

Although maybe after the fifteenth attempt, you should lower your sights a little ... some janitorial services actually prefer "Aspies", especially for night-time work.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm

I think the OP's point is that this is america and if you want to join the military and fight for your country you damn well should be able too.
I think if you can make it through basic training more power to you as an aspie. I wouldn't even consider it ... ever. I hated school. camp. Everything. I could be like an officer maybe, but never a soldier. This upsets me greatly because i wanted to join the military to do science. Simply put i am glad i can never be drafted or even wanted by the military. But its the same thing with every other issue, Just because i don't want it doesn't mean other people don't and shouldn't be aloud too.

Its a free country if and A.S. person wants to go through that then let them.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
... the reason that I'm pressing this issue is that some Aspies are accepted into the service but not others. Simply put, it all depends on what recruiter that you talk to. It pisses me off when I hear that certain Aspies are allowed in once they speak to a specific recruiter but others are turned down once they consult with a different recruiter.

So? Recruiters are the first line of screening - if one rejects you, you can always go to another. If you are determined to enter into military service, then you don't have to settle for "No".

Although maybe after the fifteenth attempt, you should lower your sights a little ... some janitorial services actually prefer "Aspies", especially for night-time work.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Autism Spectrum Disorders be included on the list of ineligible conditions unless an applicant can show that they have done good in school or work, haven't required any special accommodations at either the school or the workplace, haven't taken any medication, therapy, counseling, treatment for the minimum of at least a year. In other words, once DSM-5 is updated, AR-4501 will be as well. Am I correct ?

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

Fnord wrote:

But if you just go from one recruiter to another and they just keep on saying no after they listen to you explain about your Asperger's, one after the other, then, sooner or later, that is bound to / most likely attract a lot of attention and it's just gonna piss people off and make them angry.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 7:22 pm

But if you just go from one recruiter to another and they just keep on saying no after they listen to you explain about your Asperger's, one after the other, then, sooner or later, that is bound to / most likely attract a lot of attention and it's just gonna piss people off and make them angry.

Why are you telling them about the Asperger's? You're just shooting yourself in the foot imo.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 8:15 pm

MDD123 wrote:

Why are you telling them about the Asperger's? You're just shooting yourself in the foot imo.

I'm gonna have to. According to federal law, I'm required to. If I don't, then they're gonna find out sooner or later and if I still don't tell them on the first try / lie about it / not mention it, and they find out later on that I didn't tell them / I lied, then I could face charges of fraudulent enlistment. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 12 years old, so there's no way of hiding or concealing it.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

I think you are looking at this like an aspie. Thats what the law says but people break laws all the time. Don't tell them you have it. and if it comes to light then say you didn't know that it mattered or was relevant.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

zarok wrote:
I think you are looking at this like an aspie. Thats what the law says but people break laws all the time. Don't tell them you have it. and if it comes to light then say you didn't know that it mattered or was relevant.

That's the general idea. We Aspies tend to think very logically and very soundly. I've even heard of Aspies being decorated by their superior officers for "above and beyond the call of duty"- type conduct in combat operations when they were deployed but they came from other countries so they may or not speak English. Speaking of the law, we ought to fight and sue the U.S. government which are making the laws in order to allow Aspies into the military.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 10:27 pm

Though under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to join the military, I don't see why I shouldn't have the option. Even if they were just given desk jobs. (Heck, people with physical disabilities can sometimes get those.)

I checked with the recruitment office for the National Guard in our area because I considered it as a possible way of paying whatever my college fund and scholarships won't cover. They told me no because a) I have asperger's and ADD b) I have asthma. When I mentioned asthma they suggested I may be able to find a desk job. When I mentioned mental disorders they said they wouldn't hire me.

I don't see why they shouldn't hire someone if it won't interfere with their work. If they can give a person with asthma a job then they should be able to give a person with autism a job.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 11:14 pm

^ Well, then ... don't mention that you have Asperger's!