Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

destinyeaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2013, 7:57 pm

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with high functioning Autism. I am going to college this August and I was wondering if any of you were faced with having a roomate or not having one?

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2013, 8:23 pm

I recently finished my third year off at college, and I've had roommates all three years. For the most part, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. You may need some patience in dealing with them occasionally, which is fine because they will be giving you the same. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

destinyeaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2013, 8:33 pm

Troy_Guther wrote:
I recently finished my third year off at college, and I've had roommates all three years. For the most part, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. You may need some patience in dealing with them occasionally, which is fine because they will be giving you the same. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

Did you ever have to explain to your roommates about yourAS?

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

I've never really had to explain it, but I have mentioned it a few times in passing. However, I am very non-secretive by nature, and identifying as an aspie doesn't bother me in the slightest. I can understand why some people would be hesitant to release that kind of information, and I see no reason that you would need to do so. Even if you do have some kind of issue related to AS, you can simply present the problem as that symptom alone rather than as autism as a whole. For example, if you are having an issue with light sensitivity, just talk about your sensitivity to light. No need to give a whole lecture on your AS if you don't want to.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 6:48 am

Do let the people doing housing assignments know about your condition. I find they deliberately pair people up who are different for the sake of "diversity." :roll:

It's not uncommon for the first month of the school year to be flooded with room reassignments when students choose to swap roommates.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2013, 1:40 pm

If I would have been given the choice of having a roommate or not having a roommate, I would have easily chosen no roommate. But, it is different for everyone so it's hard to come up with a conclusion.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

If I had the choice, I would have also opted to be in a single room. Even if it was to room with someone I was friends with, I still would want me own space. You can always visit and hang out with friends, but there's something nice about being able to be solitary in your room, when needed.

I had a roommate for a while, and things were all right. They weren't by any means terrible, we just didn't have anything in common and no similtarities. We were interested in completely different things. There were no fights or arguments, but things could get a little lukewarm.

ForeverAloneVirgin
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 7:59 pm

Obviously not!
Most ASD require their alone time. Why would you want to share a room with someone? That is not normal and only done in third world countries. You don't want to change, shower, and f**k girls next to another guy. You probably have a high IQ and need to study. You may want to masturbate. I do not see any benefits at all to having a room mate.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm

I have had roommates due to financial reasons but it never works out well. Eventually we get annoyed with each other and I end up living in my bedroom. I have a hard time living with others as I have sensory issues and I HATE to feel like I am being watched. I do much better living alone. I did not enjoy roommates.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm

I most always had a roommate in college.

At first, it was bad. They game me a former Marine who DID share many interests and ideals, but we were two hard-headed, Type-A personalities. We clashed enough that he spent every waking hour away from the room and got another roommate he connected with as soon as possible.

For the rest of my time in school, I had the same roommate. Call it fate or divine appointment, but we met on day one when I was looking for a hammer to put a bookshelf together. We hit is off (very, very rare for me), and he became my new roommate. He's still perhaps my "best" friend to this day. I think we worked out so well because we complimented each other. We were similar on some ideas, but different in ways that one's strengths complements the other weaknesses. We were better as a team, and hence it worked.

I admit this is probably rare....even for NTs, but I am blessed to know this person and call him a friend.