Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MissMoneypenny
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2013, 7:59 pm

I've been told that sometimes I mouth words or whisper quietly under my breath and I've realized that this happens when I'm lost in thought. The almost constant stream of imagined conversations or compositions that pass through my consciousness get subvocalized and sometimes this becomes almost audible.

My boyfriend used to get disturbed by this, and said I need to try not to do it when there are other people around. When I asked him why, he said that he used to think, and people will assume, that I am mouthing obscenities or criticisms levelled at them!

Isn't that an amazing pair of assumptions, i.e. (1) that the content of my mumblings is critical or negative to start with, and (2) that it has anything at all to do with them?!

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2013, 8:19 pm

MissMoneypenny wrote:
I've been told that sometimes I mouth words or whisper quietly under my breath and I've realized that this happens when I'm lost in thought. The almost constant stream of imagined conversations or compositions that pass through my consciousness get subvocalized and sometimes this becomes almost audible.

My boyfriend used to get disturbed by this, and said I need to try not to do it when there are other people around. When I asked him why, he said that he used to think, and people will assume, that I am mouthing obscenities or criticisms levelled at them!

Isn't that an amazing pair of assumptions, i.e. (1) that the content of my mumblings is critical or negative to start with, and (2) that it has anything at all to do with them?!

Mouthing or mumbling obscenities or criticisms is a textbook example of passive-aggressive behavior that is actually quite common, so the assumption isn't too outlandish. An unfair assumption, absolutely. But certainly a relevant one.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 8:40 pm

Yeah... I do this quite often and particularly while walking... I can normally control it with I'm with other people, though (but not always). Normally I'm reviewing conversations that I've either just had (and am rehearsing what I could have said or should say next time) or am about to have. I actually thought this was kind of normal, so I told a co-worker a few years ago about my practicing future conversations and they thought I was crazy.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 11:29 pm

I mostly do this while watching movies I've seen before: I have a strong visual memory which helps me remember dialogue that's paired with visual stimuli. I mostly do it impulsively, and it drives others nuts. I used to do this to my teammates on my high school forensics team when they were performing their pieces as well; I'd memorise them very quickly and feel compelled to mouth along with them, but when they did it to me to show me how distracting it was, I felt bad and tried to stop, or at least not make it so obvious. I'll also do this during high-stress situations where I'm trying to remember important information, such as during a maths exam; I'll try to talk my way through the problem because it helps me keep the steps better organised, though I'm sure there have been occasions when others have heard me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Charis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2013, 11:47 pm

My imagination becomes so intense and vivid that on occasion, I will actually be verbalizing my reactions to it. Like the other person will just hear me randomly say,"No!" Well, it wasn't random to meeeee!! !! ! :lol: :oops:

You are very likely an Aspie

Scia
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 2:19 am

I tend to do this. Sometimes I'll comment to myself, or sort of think 'out loud.' Sometimes while daydreaming, I'll sort of mutter dialogue that's going on in my head. I try not to do it while others are around, but still find myself doing it on occasion.

Agreed on that people are assuming something negative is being said isn't unfounded, but that it's also unfair to outright assume that's what's happening.

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm

Charis. That is so me I even move my body too to the response of my imagination.
Giggling and laughing with my self. Most times I pretend that I'm just recollecting a memory when in fact I'm mid way in a scene with a siren in which coincidentally I play her and the winged man that fell from the skies and is in awe of her beauty as she tries to dress his wound with the magical seaweed she swam to the bottom of the ocean for.
I get rather upset when someone interrupts my thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------
--
-Sometimes the only way to go forward is to take a big left turn- southpark?-

Last edited by 3subjectnotebook on 27 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jun 2013, 2:27 pm

I don't "mouth" words, however I often find myself lost in thought, only to find I've actually been saying everything I was just thinking (usually ~15-20 minutes after I've stopped, I question, "wait... was I actually saying that?", and I eventually come to the conclusion I was).

Charis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2013, 3:53 pm

3subjectnotebook wrote:
Charis. That is so me I even move my body too to the response of my imagination.
Giggling and luaghing with my self. Most times I pretend that I'm just recollecting a memory when in fact I'm mid way in a scene with siren in which coincidentally I play her and the winged man that fell from the skies and is in awe of her beauty as she tries to dress his wound with the magical seaweed she swam to the bottom of the ocean for.
I get rather upset when someone interrupts my thoughts

8) :lol:
Lol I understand that one. Making movements can be awkward. And I can identify with the frustration of being interrupted. Hey, I'm sorry, but Conan the Barbarian should not be interrupted as I'm watching him fighting in my head!! ! Do not interrupt Conan!! !

You are very likely an Aspie

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 6:46 pm

NEtikiman wrote:
Yeah... I do this quite often and particularly while walking... I can normally control it with I'm with other people, though (but not always). Normally I'm reviewing conversations that I've either just had (and am rehearsing what I could have said or should say next time) or am about to have. I actually thought this was kind of normal, so I told a co-worker a few years ago about my practicing future conversations and they thought I was crazy.

I too thought, it was normal.