Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

servicedogrights25
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

Total score of: 64
(30 or Above, Higher Association With DID)

Your answers to this Dissociative Identity Disorder screening test fall into the range with a higher association with DID. (Please see below for more specific information on what your score on this screening test may mean.

This is a slight issue! I didn't think that I had it, but then I took the test and most of the questions fell right into my range.

I also took the one for schizophrenia and I got that I was most likely schizophrenic, HOWEVER, because I'm autistic it doesn't apply. I didn't know Auties were related to schizophrenics! Does that mean that these hallucinations/delusions/paranormal-supernatural beliefs are all part of having autism? I'd love to know!

Thanks guys! This provided some insight.
~SDR

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

servicedogrights25 wrote:
I also took the one for schizophrenia and I got that I was most likely schizophrenic, HOWEVER, because I'm autistic it doesn't apply. I didn't know Auties were related to schizophrenics! Does that mean that these hallucinations/delusions/paranormal-supernatural beliefs are all part of having autism? I'd love to know!

I also test "most likely schizophrenic" on most schizophrenia online screening tests (one even prompted me to get to the emergency room immediately, advice which I did not heed), though it is not impossible that I may actually be on the slight end of the schizophrenic spectrum (schizophrenic traits run in my family, and it has been suggested that I may have Schizotypal Personality Disorder). It has been said that autism and schizophrenia share some common genotypes; at one point in the early 1900's, autism was considered to be a form of childhood schizophrenia.

servicedogrights25

27 Jun 2013, 8:51 pm

There's a long history of mental illness in my family, from schizophrenia to depression, Bipolar Disorder, to the odd one out...me. I'm the only autistic in my family. We've got some personality disorders, alcoholics, among other things. So I could really be anything. That's interesting, the bit about childhood schizophrenia and autism. I didn't know they were related in such a way. Maybe I'm just autistic with schizophrenic traits? I do have several of them.

I have to go to bed, more tomorrow :)

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2013, 6:10 am

servicedogrights25 wrote:

Thanks guys! This provided some insight.
~SDR

I can provide some insight for you. I have been diagnosed as co-morbid autistic and schizophrenia spectrum by at least 10 different doctors. Hallucinations and delusions are not autism symptoms. However that doesn't make you automaticly schizo either because many things can cause those symptoms too. It does say in the DSM that for someone with autism to get a schizo dx the symptoms can not be better explained to the autism symptom overlap.
I tested high on the Dissociative scale too but there was some symptoms overlap there as well that could be better explained by my schizo dx. For example I have the derealization symptoms but I don't have blackouts.

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2013, 9:03 am

I scored a 42. But, I'm not surprised--I do know that, especially under stress, I have some dissociative experiences. I'd say it's a result of childhood trauma, and dealing with things that way.

I think that some of what skewed it for me was also questions like, "Do you find that you are able to easily do some things in certain situations that you could not in others?" I would answer questions like that with a strong "affirmative!" but I think that's more related to social echolalia. For me, the social echolalia is pretty damn involuntary, and not something that I can just "turn on." (Although, with an effort, I could probably suppress it. I just couldn't, say, act the way I do being Ms. Cheerful ringing up customers at work, with the same set of stock phrases, when I'm at home. I've tried, just to see if I could. Doesn't happen!)

So, there will be certain social situations where I already have an internal "script" of sorts, where I do just fine......and there will be situations where I don't, where I'm my usual, nervous, socially-useless self. I think that would be a case where something could look like a dissociative trait, (not acting like yourself) but really be an autistic trait (not acting like yourself because you're mimicking). When I'm "acting," say, at work, I'm still "me" under it all. I'm just me, acting like/mimicking my very best friendly cashier-is-there-anything-I-can-help-you-with? stereotype.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2013, 9:47 am

46 I think I've used disassociation as a way to deal with problems, I can pinpoint moments in my childhood and stuff where I've consciously made the decision to dissociate. Probably not the best mental habit I could have picked up, but it was easiest as I'm naturally a bit of a head-in-the-clouds type of person.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

SteelBlu wrote:
So, there will be certain social situations where I already have an internal "script" of sorts, where I do just fine......and there will be situations where I don't, where I'm my usual, nervous, socially-useless self. I think that would be a case where something could look like a dissociative trait, (not acting like yourself) but really be an autistic trait (not acting like yourself because you're mimicking). When I'm "acting," say, at work, I'm still "me" under it all. I'm just me, acting like/mimicking my very best friendly cashier-is-there-anything-I-can-help-you-with? stereotype.

That's a very normal thing called a "persona" - people often act like the archetype of their profession when they in reality are someone else entirely, and other people expect them to. Neurotypicals often believe in their own acting (I would guess autistics might be more aware, one of the reasons being the effort pretending that much takes?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_%28psychology%29 wrote:
For the growing child, the development of a viable social persona is a vital part of adapting to, and preparing for, adult life in the external social world. “A strong ego relates to the outside world through a flexible persona; identification with a specific persona (doctor, scholar, artist, etc.) inhibits psychological development. Thus for Jung “the danger is that [people] become identical with their personas—the professor with his textbook, the tenor with his voice.” The result could be “the shallow, brittle, conformist kind of personality which is 'all persona', with its excessive concern for 'what people think'”—an unreflecting state of mind 'in which people are utterly unconscious of any distinction between themselves and the world in which they live. They have little or no concept of themselves as beings distinct from what society expects of them'. The stage was set thereby for what Jung termed enantiodromia—the emergence of the repressed individuality from beneath the persona later in life: 'the individual will either be completely smothered under an empty persona or an enantiodromia into the buried opposites will occur'.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 10:13 pm

Dissociative Experiences Scale Test:

Total score of: 75
(30 or Above, Higher Association With DID)

Your answers to this Dissociative Identity Disorder screening test fall into the range with a higher association with DID.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oni
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jun 2013, 2:45 am

23. A whole lot of nevers but a few nearly always, only a couple in the very middle.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

apequake
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2013, 10:18 am

Dissociative Experiences Scale Test Answers

Total score of: 17
(Below 30, Lower Association With DID)
Your answers to this Dissociative Identity Disorder screening test fall into the range with a lower association with DID. (Please see below for more specific information on what your score on this screening test may mean.)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:49 am

I have PTSD and have recently recognized that I have dissociative tendencies as a result. It kind of freaks me out that some stuff that I thought was 'just me' was actually caused by the abuse.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:54 am

Quote:

No, those are symptoms that are present in the schizophrenia spectrum but not the autism spectrum.

However, being eccentric, odd nonverbal communication, poor social skills, reduced sociability and poor executive function are all shared between schizophrenia and autism. So there is overlap.

1needausername
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

33, but I wasn't really thinking about my answers...basically if I've experienced something I scored it high...if I put more thought into it I'd probably be in the 20s

AndrewtheFiddler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2014, 12:18 am

Way higher than I thought it would be.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2014, 3:04 am

I got 52.