Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

I am in the process to get assessed for Dissociative Identity Disorder next to being autistic, because I have no sense of self.
I wonder how autistic people score on the Dissociative Experiences Scale.
I think some issues relate to autism as not recognizing faces of friends (I don't know less about not recognizing family, but for me it is hard), but things as not recognizing your own face in the mirror should not be typical for autism I guess (but I do have difficulties with it).
This is the test Dissociative Experiences Scale:
http://counsellingresource.com/lib/quizzes/misc-tests/des/
My score is:

Total score of: 68
(30 or Above, Higher Association With DID)

I know that this test is not indicative for a real disorder, but I am in the process of assessment.
What is your score?

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

Total score of: 16
(Below 30, Lower Association With DID)

A lot higher than I was expecting. Interesting...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 7:12 pm

I scored a 24, below the cutoff of 30. I do have some dissociative symptoms, mostly associated with PTSD. I learned how to separate myself from my surroundings when I went through some difficult situations, and still have the tendency to be able to do this.

However, two questions may be contributing to a false-positive: I do not always recognize friends, and my own face in a mirror sometimes seems unfamiliar, not because of dissociation but because I am face-blind and have a great deal of difficulty memorizing faces. Losing track of what people are saying mid-conversation may also be an ADHD trait.

But there's only one of me in my head. :) I know this because I have access to all my memories in a quite unbroken narrative, with no lost time and no places where my experiences are detached from my identity.

I think maybe autistics might have higher scores on this than the typical person because it may be more necessary for us to learn how to "zone out" to avoid intensely unpleasant sensory experiences. Have you ever found yourself just completely overloaded, staring at nothing, not really connected to your body, and it feels like you could sit there forever and it wouldn't matter because you've forgotten what "forever" means? That's dissociation right there, if anything is, and it is so easily brought on by sensory overload, because your brain just goes, "Uh-uh. Capacity reached. No more. Gonna shut down now."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 7:30 pm

Callista wrote:
I scored a 24, below the cutoff of 30. I do have some dissociative symptoms, mostly associated with PTSD. I learned how to separate myself from my surroundings when I went through some difficult situations, and still have the tendency to be able to do this.

However, two questions may be contributing to a false-positive: I do not always recognize friends, and my own face in a mirror sometimes seems unfamiliar, not because of dissociation but because I am face-blind and have a great deal of difficulty memorizing faces. Losing track of what people are saying mid-conversation may also be an ADHD trait.

But there's only one of me in my head. :) I know this because I have access to all my memories in a quite unbroken narrative, with no lost time and no places where my experiences are detached from my identity.

I think maybe autistics might have higher scores on this than the typical person because it may be more necessary for us to learn how to "zone out" to avoid intensely unpleasant sensory experiences. Have you ever found yourself just completely overloaded, staring at nothing, not really connected to your body, and it feels like you could sit there forever and it wouldn't matter because you've forgotten what "forever" means? That's dissociation right there, if anything is, and it is so easily brought on by sensory overload, because your brain just goes, "Uh-uh. Capacity reached. No more. Gonna shut down now."

Thank you that you can give clear words to it.
I also do think, that autistics can have higher scores on it and taken by an autistic person results could be false-positive, that is my reason for asking.
But I did had childhood abuse as well and next to autism and I am getting assessed for having traits of dissociative personality disorder.
What you describe in your last paragraph is for me very true of what could give a false positive.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 27 Jun 2013, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 8:49 pm

I scored 19 mostly because of the questions related to absorption, daydreaming, and road trip hypnosis. I had a lot of nevers and quite a few near-always in my answers.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

49 for me and I have been diagnosed as such.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

SaveTigers
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2013, 9:59 pm

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2013, 12:10 am

I scored 47.
I mostly have the derealization symptoms though which are probably due to my schizoaffective dx.
I've never had a blackout except twice while intoxicated.
I space out a lot and do feel that nothing's real but I remember everything that happens.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

Scia
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 2:08 am

I scored a 57, but I think I'm going to have to retake it because I was confused by the phrasing. It says "Some people (blah blah blah)" and I was like 'Yes, I'm sure that's true - it happens to some people.' So I thought it was asking what my perception on general human behavior was. Then I got a better look at the instructions.

EDIT: Still scored a 52. Granted, I'm wondering about this between things like differences in scaling between 1 and 10 (what I consider 'often' vs. what they consider 'often'), and how unreliable memory tends to be in general. Plus: Autism. (Not recognizing people that seem to know me? Duh, I have trouble with names, faces, and recognizing people out of familiar context.)

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 3:12 am

OMG. I am in shock. I just scored 42 and I was convinced my score would be really low. That's 2 shocks for me in one week as I tested positive for alexithymia too.

I don't know how to feel now.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

58 lol no however, only 17% of those scoring above 30 on the DES actually had DID.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

i will take the quiz another time

LTucker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2013, 1:16 pm