Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2013, 1:51 pm

After several weeks of searching across cyberspace for a provider near me who has experience diagnosing adults, I finally have an appointment set up. I found a provider who specializes in diagnosing adults and, in particular, females with aspergers.

I am nervous, excited, apprehensive, scared, hopeful, and panicked all at the same time. And I still have a week to go.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2013, 2:02 pm

I am 45 and just found out I have to wait 3 months - and pay $1500 - in my area!! What a week this will be for you! How old are you?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 2:08 pm

You can find U.S. and Canadian therapists and diagnosticians from the site listed below. I've noticed price ranges from $90 to $325. Mine cost $150.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/r ... _Therapist

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2013, 2:30 pm

Thank you, kind sir - would you believe I actually found a good local lead from that link, and called/left a message already? Now that I think I finally figured out what the issue is (after 45 years - ha!), I can't wait to get tested.

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

So, the diagnostician called me back and wants $800 for Asperger's testing (which she says includes Mood Disorder testing) or else $1400 for "the full battery" of developmental delay testing (which would include language/match testing). I'm pretty sure my insurance won't cover any of this, so looks like if I want everything on the menu I might have to take out a small loan or sell a kidney. :/

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2013, 3:16 pm

I'm 29. I actually closed out my 401k account from my previous job to fund my evaluation process. :?

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2013, 3:26 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
You can find U.S. and Canadian therapists and diagnosticians from the site listed below. I've noticed price ranges from $90 to $325. Mine cost $150.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/r ... _Therapist

Thank you! I found that link useful, too!

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

Teasaidh wrote:
I'm 29. I actually closed out my 401k account from my previous job to fund my evaluation process. :?

In a week or so, you will have to give us "the scoop"! :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

Hopefully people will know to refine their search by looking under the Issues tab. There they will find therapists that specialize in Autism and Asperger's Syndrome. It even lists their price per session. Some even have a sliding scale so you wouldn't have to sell a kidney or your first born.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2013, 7:11 pm

SteelBlu,
you can also check out this site: http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_05797c6 ... 97c6f.html

There are some doctors listed who specifically work with asperger's in adults and females (which can be harder to find than just for adults).

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2013, 7:13 pm

Teasaidh wrote:
SteelBlu,
you can also check out this site: http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_05797c6 ... 97c6f.html

There are some doctors listed who specifically work with asperger's in adults and females (which can be harder to find than just for adults).

Thanks for the link! I live in what feels like the middle of nowhere, but hopefully I can find a "hit" that will be worth a several hour drive!

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2013, 8:33 pm

Yeah, I live in a little backwater city as well, but luckily there is one only a little over an hour away from me. I'd rather drive a little distance for a provider that I know has experience with someone like me than settle for a provider who is closer but less experienced.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2013, 11:07 pm

My initial visit went as well as can be expected although I did have a major panic attack as soon as it was over. The doctor was nice and open to listening to what I said (according to my husband). I couldn't really tell. I was just focusing on listening to her and trying to focus. I had to go through my past experiences, therapist visits, previous diagnoses, and abuse, so it was very rough.

She asked me, "What made you think you might have Aspergers?" and "What would having a diagnosis change about your life?" I couldn't articulate my answers very well, so I don't think I said what I really wanted to say. During the drive home, I kept thinking of lots of things I should have told her but was too stressed out to think of at the time. So, after resting for a while, I started typing up a list, detailing all the issues I have and have had in the past. I am refining it and adding to it, and I am going to take it with me when I see her next.

I don't have records from my previous therapists because it was while I was in college, and I didn't think about asking for them before I graduated. I suppose they might still have them, but I doubt it. Because I didn't have the records, she was not interested in hearing what I have previously been diagnosed with. She asked about my family, but only wanted to hear about people with an "official diagnosis." Most of my family does not really believe in going to therapy so very few have an actual diagnosis. I have an older cousin who I think has Aspergers. My grandfather died when I was 3 months old, but my entire life, my grandmother has told me I am just like him. When I asked her how I am like him, she just said, "He was peculiar."

I had a difficult childhood and have an extensive history of abuse, so I am also concerned that a lot of the problems I have will be assumed to be part of that. I feel very strongly that many of the bad experiences I went through as a child are because of how different I am. I have other friends who had abusive childhoods, and they do not have the many social and sensory problems that I have. I have to wait until Monday to find out if my insurance will pay for anything because if they will, the doctor has to file some extra paperwork. Then they will schedule my testing session. I've been sick to my stomach for 3 days. Right now I am just trying to focus on other things because I am working all weekend.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:28 am

Teasaidh wrote:
I couldn't articulate my answers very well, so I don't think I said what I really wanted to say.

This advice may be too late. But, a while back, I wrote the following:

Quote:
How would I prepare for a diagnosis? Assume nothing. But document as much as you can from your life to help the diagnosis process including: any online test scores, therapy history, exhaustive list of anxieties, exhaustive list of ocd traits, exhaustive list of social interaction difficulties, exhaustive list of sensory difficulties, exhaustive list of motor difficulties, exhaustive list of work difficulties, exhaustive list of special interests, exhaustive list of stims, exhaustive list of rituals/routines. Document your human relations (from family, school, work).

Read Tony Attwood’s Book (“The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome”). If he discusses anything that resonates with you, document it. Read about Schizoid (or any other psychological condition). If you read anything that resonates with you, document it.

Also, go through your Baby Book. Document Motor capabilities (when did you first crawl, walk alone, run), Fine Motor capabilities (when could you feed myself with a spoon, write letters, tie shoes), Language capabilities (when could you first use single words, sentences), Social/Adaptive capabilities (when were you potty trained during day/night). Document your temperament, sleeping patterns, eating patterns when you were an infant and any problems with early child development. Document various milestones with each grade in school (e.g. performance, best subjects, salient comments from teachers/parents, key events).

Because I had documented everything, I was quite prepared when the Psychologist asked me the “What made you think you might have Aspergers?" question.

So, while you won’t have time to document everything, I would suggest you at least jot down some organized thoughts. I also suggest you write down the questions you have. There are probably a list of questions that led you to seek a diagnosis. Or a set of questions that have led you to seek therapy.

My questions were:
- Why did I have social issues as a child?
- Why do I have social issues as an adult?
- Why do I have difficulty in work situations?
- Why don’t I feel like I fit in?
- Why am I struggling to set goals?
- Where can I find others like me?
- How can I find peace for the remainder of my life?

As these helped frame my discussions.

Good luck.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2013, 7:20 pm

Well, my testing date is scheduled for 3 weeks from now. They told me it should take around 3 hours. I wish it was tomorrow so it could just be over already. I'm trying to keep my mind distracted so I don't stress myself too much over it, but it is hard. I am working on a list of all the symptoms and problems I have had and still have so I can give it to the doctor. So far, I have 6 pages. Not sure if I should try and email it to her or wait and give it to her in person. I'm leaning towards waiting because I would feel more secure if I can hand it to her rather than sending into cyberspace.

Does anyone know how soon after testing I will find out the results?

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson