Question about NLD and AS combination

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 1:26 pm

If I fit most traits of both conditions and, since NLD is caused by brain damage, then does it mean that I both inherited my family's AS and my brain got damaged as well? Sounds like too much of a coincidence...?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 2:28 pm

Well, I don't think there's conclusive evidence that NVLD is caused by pre-natal brain damage entirely and doesn't have a genetic component. There's pretty good evidence that abnormalities of white matter especially in the right hemisphere are present in NVLD. There are brain abnormalities (developmental ones that are there from the start) involved in ASD too. There's some conflicting data as to what these abnormalities are. Some professionals believe ASD encompasses a variety of different disorders that cause the same symptoms. In other words, in terms of genetics and neurology there could be a few different autisms. Some professionals think this about Schizophrenia as well. Anyway, maybe the NVLD pattern is one of the autisms. It's possible. In any case I have both NVLD and ASD too. ASD and ASD traits also do run in my family.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

07 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Well, I don't think there's conclusive evidence that NVLD is caused by pre-natal brain damage entirely and doesn't have a genetic component. There's pretty good evidence that abnormalities of white matter especially in the right hemisphere are present in NVLD. There are brain abnormalities (developmental ones that are there from the start) involved in ASD too. There's some conflicting data as to what these abnormalities are. Some professionals believe ASD encompasses a variety of different disorders that cause the same symptoms. In other words, in terms of genetics and neurology there could be a few different autisms. Some professionals think this about Schizophrenia as well. Anyway, maybe the NVLD pattern is one of the autisms. It's possible. In any case I have both NVLD and ASD too. ASD and ASD traits also do run in my family.

Both my mother and I have NLD and/or autistic traits.

No one else in our family ever has in the recent past. The only anomaly I can think of is the fact that my mother was severely afflicted with untreated measles at the age of two that resulted in seizures and 5-10 minutes without oxygen.

I wonder if epigenetics can have an effect somehow.

This is quite an interesting book on how epigenetics and the fetal environment can cause mental disorders and learning disabilities.
http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/infectious-behavior

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:15 pm

Quote:
If I fit most traits of both conditions and, since NLD is caused by brain damage, then does it mean that I both inherited my family's AS and my brain got damaged as well?

NLD can be caused by brain damage, but it can also be genetic.