Auditory Processing problems and phones

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:38 pm

I have trouble understanding conversations over the phone. I have a central auditory processing disorder that makes it hard to sort out different sounds if there are multiple sounds or voices at the same time. For this reason I avoid phone conversations, but sometimes I need to talk on the phone for work, or so I can talk to my boyfriend.

Does anyone know of a phone that is easier to hear over?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 10:08 pm

I got a GE stereo phone headset to plug into my cordless phone, and 99% of my perception/comprehension problems disappeared, as it amplified the voice on the other end a great deal, highly recommended. I got mine at walmart. the reason it works so well is that since the phone sound is being piped into both ears at the same time, it blocks out a bunch of distracting noise around me, also it activates both sides of my brain so that I have twice the auditory processing ability than if only one ear was involved. it is handsfree also, which enables me to multitask while talking.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 5:40 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I got a GE stereo phone headset to plug into my cordless phone, and 99% of my perception/comprehension problems disappeared, as it amplified the voice on the other end a great deal, highly recommended. I got mine at walmart. the reason it works so well is that since the phone sound is being piped into both ears at the same time, it blocks out a bunch of distracting noise around me, also it activates both sides of my brain so that I have twice the auditory processing ability than if only one ear was involved. it is handsfree also, which enables me to multitask while talking.

    Oooo good advice. =)

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2013, 6:23 pm

I do the same thing with my iPhone, I have earphones in so that I can decipher conversations better. I often have them in when I'm out and about to block out the ambient noise, so keeping them in for phone conversations just makes more sense.

Its horrible hardly ever being able to understand what people are trying to say to you, especially when its your own children you can't understand :(

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:55 pm

grahamguitarman wrote:
Its horrible hardly ever being able to understand what people are trying to say to you, especially when its your own children you can't understand :(

I have the same problem, and I agree completely. It's gotten to the point that I really prefer texting to talking on my cell. With landlines, I just do my best....

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 8:51 pm

No different from Google Translate's speaker, right?

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:20 am

I will try the two ear headset. I will also try not to loose it every few days like I do my one ear head set I use at work.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:32 am

No, sadly no phone has EVER provided a solution. I try to avoid phone conversations at all costs. Like you, I cannot filter sounds...UNLESS I'm listening to a recorded song and listening for a specific instrument.
Sometimes I think that with my condition, people who speak my native language would assume I'm a foreigner. Or deaf. Or mentally challenged.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

Yeah I always try to tell people to either Text me or Email me. But theres always someone who still phones you expecting you to be able to make sense of them :(

I can't watch most TV programs without subtitles either, I just wish real life came with subtitles :lol:

@ nebrets, I was out and about today and realised I'd forgotten my earphones again, so it was a pretty stressful day :(

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

grahamguitarman wrote:
@ nebrets, I was out and about today and realised I'd forgotten my earphones again, so it was a pretty stressful day :(

I know. I misplaced my earbuds the other day and did not have my safety net of music to block out the cacophony of sounds that are EVERYWHERE and it was very bad. Especially because I had to go to the grocery store that day too.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 12:42 pm

grahamguitarman wrote:
I can't watch most TV programs without subtitles either, I just wish real life came with subtitles :lol:

Same here. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:13 pm

conundrum wrote:
grahamguitarman wrote:

Same here. :)

All the time. Drives my dad nuts, but my bf does it too. At least most movie theaters have closed caption devises now.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:12 am

Same!! !!

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jul 2013, 11:50 am

As far as how this applies to me, and it might be different for others; I think the problem is not the sound quality of the telephone, but it is the fact that you are not able to see the person on the other end, and are therefore missing the rest of the interaction. I often can't tell that someone is still making a point over the phone, so I rudely (but unintentionally) talk over them, and it becomes a mess. I'll drive 50 miles to talk to someone in person before choosing a telephone call!

Charles

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:30 pm

grahamguitarman wrote:

ditto

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2013, 12:54 pm

kx250rider wrote:
As far as how this applies to me, and it might be different for others; I think the problem is not the sound quality of the telephone, but it is the fact that you are not able to see the person on the other end, and are therefore missing the rest of the interaction. I often can't tell that someone is still making a point over the phone, so I rudely (but unintentionally) talk over them, and it becomes a mess. I'll drive 50 miles to talk to someone in person before choosing a telephone call!

Charles

I agree with this, though I seem to have a combination of reasons why I can't stand talking on the telephone. If I can't see someone's face, whether on the phone or they aren't standing directly in front of me, I feel like I miss a LOT. I've been sent to the doctor for suspected hearing problems due to this, but I don't think its my hearing, per-se.

The phone offers more complications though, as I do have issues distinguishing between multiple sounds and also have the habit to talk over people because I have no physical cues to tell me to stop. On the phone, I tend to ramble endlessly and mention unnecessary details (like I do online... :oops:) because it feels as if I'm not getting all of the information I need, they must not be either.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47