Auditory Processing problems and phones

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2013, 12:54 pm

kx250rider wrote:
As far as how this applies to me, and it might be different for others; I think the problem is not the sound quality of the telephone, but it is the fact that you are not able to see the person on the other end, and are therefore missing the rest of the interaction. I often can't tell that someone is still making a point over the phone, so I rudely (but unintentionally) talk over them, and it becomes a mess. I'll drive 50 miles to talk to someone in person before choosing a telephone call!

Charles

I agree with this, though I seem to have a combination of reasons why I can't stand talking on the telephone. If I can't see someone's face, whether on the phone or they aren't standing directly in front of me, I feel like I miss a LOT. I've been sent to the doctor for suspected hearing problems due to this, but I don't think its my hearing, per-se.

The phone offers more complications though, as I do have issues distinguishing between multiple sounds and also have the habit to talk over people because I have no physical cues to tell me to stop. On the phone, I tend to ramble endlessly and mention unnecessary details (like I do online... :oops:) because it feels as if I'm not getting all of the information I need, they must not be either.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

I have a problem hearing well on the phone, or hearing the TV or even in person if there is background noise which is almost all the time at my house :(
I have a 5 year old and an NT adult who both insist on the TV being on even if no one is watching it.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 6:35 pm

Tori0326 wrote:
I have a problem hearing well on the phone, or hearing the TV or even in person if there is background noise

Yep--I forgot to mention this. Now imagine having to work in these conditions (part-time cashier at Walmart). 8O

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

glow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 4:56 pm

I probably have this as it almost sounds that when I am on the phone someone will undoubtedly talk in the background or there will be all this non-stop chat and typing, sometimes laughter.
Today I had to cancel a puzzle subscription which had become a nuisance as they were really a con. At the end of the convo he like tried to seduce me with slow mono and I just thought hmm then..no wait, it s a con, leave.. now. Of course I did.
I n regard to the job front, I had a job on phones selling windows and soffits and garage doors, and the list they gave me was so short and hopeless I thought who in the phonebook is gonna listen to me at peak hour? I was lucky to even get a response and the guy I was talking to seemed nice and then the manager had bugged the phone so he could hear every word of counsel I was issuing, so a sell seemed unlikely, but wth? if he had given me a good list, and not just expect me to go sorting through x files then maybe I would have been lucky in response.
Oh yeah, and what was funny right is that the person I had brought in was in opposition to them,
so they too were buying and selling windows, I thought hmm, mr Halifax, why did I call you up?
Haha. if my ex reads this he's gonna have a field day, talking of which I had at that one stop shop.
Bye exes, and sorry if I tarnished this thread.