Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm

I just watched the second episode. She flirted using eye contact in the bar perfectly and very naturally. If the main actress is going to be portrayed as that odd and missing big things, I think she should have more trouble with the little things. Doubt this would matter to most NTs and they will get the story just fine. But more realistic and more comfortable to Aspie girls and women I think if she had just a little trouble with flirting through eye contact. Just looking down occasionally, or staring more, would probably do the trick. Though I'm not an actress. But she seems good, like she could be given a suggestion and could make it work.

This matters, it isn't easy to learn to flirt!

Bliss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

Quote:
I just watched the second episode. She flirted using eye contact in the bar perfectly and very naturally. If the main actress is going to be portrayed as that odd and missing big things, I think she should have more trouble with the little things. Doubt this would matter to most NTs and they will get the story just fine. But more realistic and more comfortable to Aspie girls and women I think if she had just a little trouble with flirting through eye contact. Just looking down occasionally, or staring more, would probably do the trick. Though I'm not an actress. But she seems good, like she could be given a suggestion and could make it work.

Thank you for saying this. I was never any good at flirting, couldn't understand what I was supposed to do or what I was supposed to look for in response. I had friends who complained I was a natural flirt (I was just being friendly) and who wondered why I didn't respond to men who flirted with me (didn't know that's what they were doing).

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2013, 11:18 am

mikassyna wrote:
Last night's episode I think was OK. I think the sex scene could have shown a little more humanity, and not just cold monodimensional portrayal. Even though she is Aspie, there could have been a little more attempt at wanting to want "more" aside from straight sex, maybe some disappointment when the guy decided to leave, even though she said it was OK.. I don't know, just a little more something. It didn't even have to be in front of him, it could have been after he left. Are they trying to say she just doesn't care about such things? I think it is doing an injustice to the portrayal of Aspie women but on the flip side I guess I like that she knows what she wants and goes for it and can be as one-track minded as a guy, but... am I off base here?

Agreed. Just because we have trouble connecting to others on an intimate level doesn't mean we don't want to.

amaris74

22 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

Waterfalls wrote:

I'll say! I haven't learned how to yet and I'm nearly 40. Luckily I'm not terribly interested in that kind of thing anymore. :wink:

zebit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2013, 12:03 pm

amaris74 wrote:
I really enjoyed it. I love crime shows, so I was planning on watching it even before I knew Diane Kruger was playing an Aspie. I thought she did a great job, although at times seemed a little more "guy aspie" than "girl aspie", if that makes sense!

My thoughts exactly. Cross did not fit the female profile of Aspie. Maybe the show would have benefited from a female advisor.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

zebit wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Cross did not fit the female profile of Aspie. Maybe the show would have benefited from a female advisor.

It seems that is the reaction of a number of females, I feel that way too. Though I know females are outnumbered by males and maybe that makes it hard to portray a character who is so much in the minority. But I do think most female Aspies can fit in better on the surface at least. Probably why fewer get diagnosis. I am happy they're trying to portray a female, hopefully they soften up the maleness aspect as the show goes on.

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2013, 3:43 pm

I did watch the pilot, and I will have to watch that again and a few episodes more.

The Swedish show was not perfect but pretty close. It was one of the first times an aspie were portrayed fairly accurate and as a real person with a real job and a life resembling that of a real aspie. I have so much admiration for the creators and writers. It really was something special.

I do have some concerns about the American version. In the Swedish one Saga has some problems that one with AS would (could) have, and learn to minimise and work around in their teens and early adulthood if they were anywhere near the level of functioning that would allow employment in any social setting that involved interaction with others. These things seem accentuated in the American, like they are focused upon when they should have been played down.

The setting between US and Mexico represent a far greater cultural barrier than the originals Swedish and Danish setting. There are small differences between Denmark and Sweden but the situation (high crime rates, drugs, cartels, etc.) in that part of Mexico seems to far from that of Denmark. The terrorist wants to point out social injustice, but that seems a hard feat for the writers of the American version. A US-Canada border would have worked better.

Sonya to me came across as a harsher character than Saga. Taking some of Sagas cluelessness and turning that into harshness is not good either. Saga could have been more polished in the Swedish version, making her less polished in the American is the wrong way to go.

I will have to see a few episodes more before I can give a real opinion...

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:20 pm

The Bridge is on in 45 minutes!! I'm looking forwards to it!