Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 1:40 pm

So, my third grade teacher suggested to my parents that I take acting classes to get me to open up, and speak up in class. I took a summer school acting class that year, and got the lead role in "Hansel and Gretel and company" (Hansel). I memorized the entire play, and ended up giving other people cues when they forgot theirs.

I've tried to take advantage of any acting opportunities since then. Throughout college I was in the school's One-acts production each year, sometimes in multiple plays.

I found acting to be easier than normal speech because you get a script. I don't have to think of what I need to say.

Any thoughts? Any other aspie actors out there?

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Jan 2007, 1:45 pm

I love acting.

Last edited by alex on 23 Jan 2007, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buddy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2007, 1:54 pm

:D Iv'e been with the famous people players

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 2:01 pm

Buddy wrote:
:D Iv'e been with the famous people players

I've never heard of them, but hey sound famous :)

One of the years I was in one-acts, one director did a one-act version of "Rainmaker". She wanted to make it a musical as well, but that fell through because of time restraints. I have a somewhat low voice, so I sang Don Hoe's "Tiny Bubbles" and got a part. Everyone else trying out sang serious musical pieces. I like being ironicalistic.

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

jackie31337

23 Jan 2007, 2:34 pm

I've also done a lot of acting, especially musical theatre. I think it's probably one reason why I can fake the social stuff to the degree I can - I see it as playing a character.

trent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2007, 6:44 pm

I've been told by my theater professors that I'm a talented character actor. In March of 2005, I was one of fifteen out of 200 something applicants to be accepted into this college theater program. Despite being totally aware that my social cognition difficulties would get in the way of both the technical and the interpretative aspects of acting, I took the opportunity, because, when was I ever get this kind of social acceptance any time in my life and also because being in a BFA class of 15 students was almost-certain guarantee of a group of, if not friends, friends, then friendly acquaintances. As of right now, I'm a BA in theater, ready to make the switch over to I don't know where, but I'll find my niche...I hope. Yes, AS, by its socially crippling nature, has ruined my acting career before it even started. But hey, if you can't pursue one passion, find a passion you can also pursue.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 7:28 pm

I've done a little bit of acting for school and church stuff over the past several years, but not much. I would enjoy doing Shakespeare eventually... or something else classic.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 9:14 pm

I play the part of Peter in the school's production of Romeo & Juliet. What's more, i get to participate in a riot (stagefight) at the first scene, all being choreographed by a professional satge combat instructor who just happens to be a good friend of our producer/teacher. Now THAT'S good theatre!

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2007, 12:17 am

I did some acting in high school but since I got to college, I've concentrated more on theater tech. I did take two acting classes which pretty much only taught me how to analyze how bad an actor I am. I enjoy playing parts, developing characters, and interacting with other actors but I am crippled by terrible stage fright. I might audition for some student productions this coming semester though.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2007, 3:56 pm

I love to act!! !! However, I hate acting on a stage. The lights, not seeing people, and the long hours just don't work for me at all. But I do love to act in film. (I've even been in a movie as a extra!) As I've been in college, I realized that I didn't really fit in with theather students at all and I didn't want to major in theather either. So I've decided not to go into the acting field, but if I was given the chance to act in another film, I would do it because I really enjoyed the 5 days of filming and I learned a lot. (I have yet to see the finish film, even though it was filmed in spring of 2000!)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 8:38 pm

R&J Update: Our director had us do competitions between the Capulets and the Montagues during rehearsal today, to get us into a sense of family connections and rivalry. The events ranged from bean-bag dodgeball, a Shakespearean-based quiz game, and a weird capture-the-flag battle game involving bean-bags, a fake leaf, and a 70-pound dumbbell (which barely any of the cast could lift.) I gues the whole point of this was to get us psyched up for blocking tomorrow, as well as spark the rivalry between the C's and M's. He also hinted that none of the Capulets would be allowed to speak to any of the Montagues during the week preceding opening night, and vice versa. (Trying to start a war, he is.) I'm just glad that my crush and i are both Capulets (She is Lady C.; I am Peter); that brings me one step closer to... oh well you get the point.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Lo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2007, 6:15 am

Yes! Me!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:18 pm

R & J Update: We've just started blocking the first few scenes. I have decided to portray my character Peter as as the loyal but stupid servant of the Capulets (which suits him; it's hard because i'm the polar opposite of him, but isn't that's what acting is about?) . We've had to step up rehearsals because of about three weeks worth of down time: first because someone at school died in a car accident and nobody felt up to rehearsing, second because of another theatre event that took priority, and third because of inclement weather; hence leaving us WAY behind schedule.

Roxas aka Peter

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 5:21 am

when i'm teaching ,it's like acting all the time, i play with voices, characters, etc and also encourage the children to do the same
(i think learning a language has to be fun in the first place)

and maybe next year when i'll have done studying, might become a puppeteer with a friend of mine, with acting and playing music (it's not decided yet, but it's one of the options)

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2007, 8:02 am

I'm a techie.....

yeah, I know kinda obvious, don't touch my dimmers

I acted in one play, I sucked

gloomywtregret
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2007, 7:37 pm

I like the idea of acting but I never got involved...awww.... :(